Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Don Fryman

Thread: Tips and Tricks for using rFactor 2 in Steam

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Default Tips and Tricks for using rFactor 2 in Steam

With the decision of ISI to make rFactor 2 available on Steam we now have additional ways to use rFactor 2.
    The following should help those new to Steam or Steam users new to rFactor 2 league racing get up and running.

If you are new to CMS the first thing you should do is get registered and look around. Find a series that interests you and read the Master Post for that series which will list all the detail for that particular series such as car/track mods, and also the password to the series server
    Once you have that information you will want to go to the Steam rFactor 2 Workshop page.
    Here you will find the different mods used by the series you wish to compete in, you will need to select each mod and subscribe to it.

Once you have subscribed to all the mods required for you chosen series you are ready to join the server.
    There are 2 ways to find and join our servers, the first would be to just click on the "Play" button on the Steam rFactor 2 main page, this will bring up the launcher and you will click on the 2 helmet icon in the left column. This will bring up a list of all rFactor 2 servers available, find the CMS series you would like to join, click on it, then click on "Race" in the right column. If you did everything correctly you will be present with a password box and once that is entered you will be on the server and ready for action.

The other way to find our server would be to select "View" on the menu bar while in Steam, in the drop-down list select servers. This will open the server list window where you have to select rFactor 2 in the "Game" menu box in the lower left, this will list all rFactor 2 servers available, find the CMS series you would like to join, right click on it and select join. If you did everything correctly you will be present with a password box and once that is entered you will be on the server and ready for action.

Since rFactor 2 is new to Steam and the Workshop feature is also new things have a way of changing quickly, this should get better in time but for the time being things are not always perfect.
    After inserting the password you may be presented with the following dialog box, this is telling you some of the required components are not installed and should specify which.

Go ahead and click on "Get Missing Components", rFactor 2 will try to download and install the missing components. You may end up getting the following message box.
    Note what items are not installed as indicted by the red X and type, in this case “Birmingham” as you may have to manually install these items.

Now that you know what needs to be installed you have to find it and install it. All CMS series will have a “Master Post” which will have links to all files needed to run in a series, this is where you will download the needed files. The downloaded files are usually put in your “Downloads” folder, find these files as you have to move them to the proper location. First make sure they are not in compressed form (.zip or .rar), if they are you must first un-compress them, then move them to the location below. As shown below my “Steam” folder is on my “D” drive but yours may be in a different location, you just have to find your “Steam” folder then drill down to the “Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\Packages” folder.

Now that you have the files you need downloaded and in the correct location go back the Steam rFactor 2 main page and click on “Play”. This will bring up the rFactor 2 launcher, in the column on the left there is an icon that looks like a box, this is the “Contents” icon. Click on the “Contents” icon and you will get a listing of what items you have in your “Packages” folder as shown below. Since you needed “Birmingham” installed to join our race find it in the list and click on it. Now you click on the “Install" button in the lower left of the contents page. Do this to all items that were shown as “Missing Components” earlier.

At this point you should have everything needed installed. Go back to the beginning and find our server that you wanted to join and when you click on “Race” the next thing you should see is the password page and then the loading screen.
    If you have any further questions just post them in the related forum and you will get plenty of help from the members of CMS.

How to change your in game name to your real name:

1. If Steam has made your in game name a "nickname" and you need to change it to your REAL name (as required by CMS forum and server policy) all you need to do is locate your Player.json file, open it in notepad and edit as shown below:

2. Don't forget to hit "save" when your done.

3. If your using the Steam version of rF2 the player.json can be found in: X:\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2/UserData/Player/Player.json
    Last edited by Don Fryman; 07-27-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

davidan is offline David Anderson

Thank you for putting this together Don!

expdom is offline Eugenio Perez

One thing though...

Steam users don't show up in matchmaker, they do in liveracers..

EP

Quote Originally Posted by expdom View Post
    One thing though...

Steam users don't show up in matchmaker, they do in liveracers..

EP
    That's true.............something ISI is supposed to be working on.

Hzamora is offline Hernán Zamora

Hi guys, I have just bought Rf2 and I will like to join Thursday´s league, but I have some questions
    1- I opened the player.json file and change the name and saved, but every time that I start the game, it changes the name for my steam´s nickname automatically, any ideas
    2- Anyone use GID monitor in RF2? Is there other hud similar?
    3-I tryed to register in the SLS but it do not let me in, I ask for a mail new password but no email
    Last edited by Hzamora; 02-18-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hzamora View Post
    Hi guys, I have just bought Rf2 and I will like to join Thursday´s league, but I have some questions
    1- I opened the player.json file and change the name and saved, but every time that I start the game, it changes the name for my steam´s nickname automatically, any ideas
    2- Anyone use GID monitor in RF2? Is there other hud similar?
    3-I tryed to register in the SLS but it do not let me in, I ask for a mail new password but no email
    Welcome Hernan!

Answers to your questions.
    1 - In the rF2 launcher window look in upper right corner, there should be your nickname, clicking on that will take you to a name edit window, be sure to save edits after changing.
    2 - Don't use add-ons so no help from me....maybe someone will chime in, or search the forums as I know they have been discussed before
    3 - I will make sure SLS is correct after your first race.

Have fun racing with us!!

Hzamora is offline Hernán Zamora

Thanks Don
    Update:
    1-Solved
    2-Solved (mapplugin 0.94 aka GID)
    Last edited by Hzamora; 02-19-2016 at 12:01 AM.