Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon Uyan
  • 1 Post By Christopher Snow

Thread: Small chat issue

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Small chat issue

I've been running (since the last race) with in-car chat off, but I can turn it on with a hotkey. I have "Entering Pits" and "Leaving Pits" mapped to two wheel-buttons, and the PIT chat shows my messages showing up there...but they aren't showing up in-car (so I can't tell if I'm doing it right, over-doing it, or not). Currently running in DX11 mode.

Any ideas, anyone?

More important: If I just skip all of them (but still watch my mirrors, yielding as needed) am I conforming with the rules or not? This will matter to me once or twice at least tonight, as I have to do a drive-thru at the end of the formation lap, in addition to anything else.

Thanks for any help.

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

As per rules you have to inform your pitstop intentions IF there is a car behind when entering or if there is a traffic when you are leaving. If you are free of traffic you don't have to announce.

We do not monitor drivers when it comes to this rule but if there is a "close call" and you did not announce it or someone reports it you will get a warning. If there was a contact you will get a heavier penalty just for the lack of announcement alone.

Since you have a DT penalty there is a good chance there will be (maybe) someone behind you on the formation lap and you are expected to announce you are pitting. It is part of the process we review how drivers serve their penalties.

Hope this answered your question. You are turning the chat window off due to distraction?
    Flyer23 likes this.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Yeah, it's more annoying in-car than helpful, as in my case it's very far off to one side (and down quite low as well). I am really only aware of it as you might be with an annoying fly bouncing around off the side window, but when people are going in and out there is naturally a lot of the "hi," "hello" stuff going on (more of an issue, therefore in practice). It's far enough off center that I can't read it without making a conscious effort (by which point it's often gone anyway), and no one wants me doing that in the twisty bits for the same reason you don't want to be near someone texting in a real car--they aren't focused on car control, or even surround-awareness, which is far more important than any messages or message content.

[So if anyone fails to notify me, I won't be complaining about it (just sayin')]

I will have to enlist someone's aid beforehand, it seems, to verify my in/out chat (or lack thereof). That'll solve the immediate problem, but it still leaves me wondering why I'm not seeing the messages in car when I see the rest. Maybe I'll have to turn it back on and learn to live with it the same way you do with an over-active warning light...or fly. :-/
    Flyer23 likes this.