Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: S2 Rd. 7 - Laguna Seca Results, Replay and Discussion

faspit is offline Frank Speer

They also say that a woman causes us to drink too, lol.
    TimCollier and Tom like this.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

Frank, hope everything goes well with your wife and she is home and healthy very quickly.

As for the race, was out and practicing but I never really feel comfortable on this track and the corkscrew just confounds me - and it was the worst yet on this track. I liked the graphics though and thought that overall it was the best 'feeling' version that I have raced to date. Started getting some decent laps, still well off pace when the computer decided it didn't want to play and dumped me to the desktop. That and some unexpected graphics hiccups convinced me to park it for this race. Sounds like everyone had some issues; glad I didn't contribute.

'Grats to the podium occupants and see you next race.
    Tom and Matt Horst like this.
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by faspit View Post
    Sounded like it was fun and scary at the same time. This is a great track but to get a grip on its rhythm as Tim said is tough. I am sorry that I missed this race, got practice in and started to feel good about this race. Problem was I had to rush my Wife to the hospital. She is going to have to stay there for a few days. So I spent over 10 hours there and didn't get home until well after the race ended.
    See you guys in two weeks.
    Good thoughts your way Frank, hope your wife is doing better.
    Tom and Matt Horst like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Matt Horst is offline Established Member

In practice before the race i was having serious problems with slowdowns and small freezes to the point i was ready to bail on this race.Like Angelo i had no issues in off line practice and also no problems online with no other cars.I left once and restarted rf2 witch did no good.Then in a last ditch attempt i switched back to dx9 and restarted my computer and that did the trick and all the freezes and slowdowns went away.I don't know if switching back to dx9 solved the problem or not but i think once rf2 goes to only dx11 a lot of tracks might not be usable unless there updated.

As for the race itself i am one of those that hates this track,and i just wanted to get through this race and minimize the damage in the points battle.Once again at a track i struggle with,like VIR, i got lucky and had a decent result.

It's not that i can't turn a fast lap here,i just can't do it with any consistency.In qualifying i hit a decent lap,a personal best in fact, on my first flying lap.Subsequent laps had me up 3 tenth in the first two sectors but i kept throwing it away in the third sector so i would settle for 4'th on the starting grid.

The race started ok but soon i started making mistakes and Jon took advantage on one of the bigger ones and got by.I closed back up on Jon and then i would make another mistake or get screwed by traffic and fall back,then catch up again,then more mistakes and traffic.Seemed like an endless cycle of catch up and fall back again witch was not good for my tires.I caught up with Sebastian toward the closing laps of the race.He must have been really struggling with his tires and he let me by,witch was very gentlemanly of him.By now my front left tire was falling off and i had no time or tires to catch Jon.I thought i was in forth place and it wasn't until the race ended that i realized Greg and Norm had problems and i was actually in second and chasing Jon for the race win.

I am happy to sneak out of this place with stolen second place that i didn't really expect or deserve.Congratulations to Jon and all the class winners.We now have essentially a two race shootout between Jon,Norm and myself for the championship.Should be an interesting last two races,see you all in Atlanta.

house382 is offline Kyle House

Hope everything goes well with your wife Frank. Family members in the hospital, no matter the issue, always makes the rest of life seem a bit trivial.

I don't like Laguna. Since ICR2 in 95 I have not liked Laguna. The place is little, busy, without a place to center yourself and reset each lap. For me a place to reset, check what vital piece of info I need to check and get set for another trip around is vitally important. But it is a motorsport legend, with great racing and a cool setting, so we go. And I normally end up in the turn 9 wall from brain fade.

I don't know about the rest of the P2 grid, but I had a bit of a pickle in trying to figure this one out. Softs could do the race but I had to take care of them. Meds could do it easy but they made me feel fat and slow, not to mention they were about 3/4 of a second a lap slower. Base boost could do 51-52 laps, boost 2 could do 45.8 laps which might be race distance, maybe... I think. So plan was to go with the softs and do the first 8-10 laps at boost 1 while letting someone else set the pace.

Did a qualifying run in practice, which here was terrifying with traffic and then went over to the turn 6 track side camera to hang out and see how everyone was doing there. Qualifying came and my right foot didn't get the plan memo. The 14.9 was good, the 14.6 was nuts and wholly unnecessary at the time. Then with 8 seconds left in the session JT starts his final flyer and pips me by .035. I raised my plastic cup to you good sir, hell of a lap.

Race start was pretty clean and orderly. Angelo was on it and had me a trifle worried going into 2, not sure how deep he was going on the brakes so I left a lane open on the inside. On the exit of 2 it looks like JT got on the power a little early and looped it to the inside. That means Angelo had to dive back in behind me to avoid him and let me run my line from there. Contrary to the plan however, it left me to dictate the early pace.

Tried to take it real easy early on but still manage the gap to Angelo. Things stabilized at about 2 seconds after a few laps. Occasionally it ballooned up to 4 in traffic but it was normally 2-2.5. At the conclusion of lap 8 I bumped the boost to 2 and the gap start to expand very slowly. Then I looked down and it was 11 back to JT. No idea what happen but sweet! It was at this point that things seemed to me to get fairly tranquil. Was hitting my marks and sweeping around GT traffic nicely. Then at about half way someone took out the 2 board into turn 6 and all hell broke loose.

I got into 6 way too deep and looped the car. Lost a ton of time waiting for traffic to clear. Rejoined 11 seconds behind Angelo and even further behind JT. The time for being nice to the softs was over. I put my head down and start to chew through the gap between Angelo and myself pretty quickly. About the time Angelo and I were on the same straights, I saw JT and a GT car off to the outside of the track, pretty sure it was turn 6 (The 2 board strikes again?!). Bummer for him, one less gap I need to chew through on these tires however. Only got to follow Angelo super close for about a lap and a half. He got wide on the exit of 6, dropped two wheels off and I got a huge run up the hill. He tried to defend a bit and I really have to give you credit for stopping when you did sir. Other people would have kept coming and it would have been a huge incident for both of us. After all that the tranquility was broken and the final 15-20 minutes was a panic filled Laguna nightmare. GT traffic was still good but my tires were a bit used up and until Angelo had to avoid DiLibero, the gap was around 2 seconds with the Meds>Softs change over point happening at any time.

Overall it was a great race. We found out that the 2 board is very important to all of us. Shall the track files grow dusty until we are forced to return and commence another round of our seasonal punishment.

corsa is offline Eric Elliott

Best wishes for your wife Frank.

Race-wise, this was kind of a comedy of errors for me, and I'm glad to put this one behind us. I actually didn't feel too bad in practice, and was pleased with qualifying. But it all fell apart during the race. The car just didn't feel right, and I couldn't find the rhythm I had in practice.

I had several self-induced offs, just drove like crap, and by the last 10 minutes of the race, I was actually getting motion sickness from the game. Every time I came through the corkscrew, I got dizzier. Sure glad I don't use VR!

Anyway, happy to have just finished, and look forward to the next one.
    Eric Elliott
    Terrapin Racing #224

Matt Horst is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy1013 View Post
    I uhh... got a little distracted. Probably time to move the desk to a non-trafficked area.
    No idea how you drive so well with people and animals close by.You even pet your dog or cat at one point,that's real skill right there lol.
    TimCollier, Tom and faspit like this.

Coutie is offline Member

My race didn't go so well. I had to start at the back, and was only able to make up a couple spots per lap. I think I was about 3/4 of a lap behind when I finally cleared the GT cars, or at least the big groups of them. I thought the brake duct blanking settings went from low to high, so I set it to one, because I knew there would be lot's of braking. Well, I guess that meant closed, because I averaged 1100 degree celsius brake temperatures the whole race. My brakes should've failed, but they didn't somehow. With a couple minutes left, I caught Kyle Hamilton for fifth. I saw I was faster into the corkscrew and the last corner, but I didn't want to try the corkscrew because it didn't seem like a good idea. So I went up the inside at the last turn, we traded a bit of paint, I got by, ran a bit wide, forcing Kyle wide as well, sorry.

mightyturtle is offline Eric Klister

Add me to list of folks who are happy to put this one behind them. No matter what I tried, I just could not find a comfortable setup. But I think the issue was less about the car and more about the driver - I was super wary of the aforementioned Red Kerbs of Death, and in my quest to avoid becoming a victim, I know I was losing a ton of time in the corners, especially 6 and the stretch from Rainey to 11.

During the race my apex-averse driving somehow held up until just past halfway, when the inevitable happened at turn 6. Initially it felt like it was going to be long off-and-on driver's right, but I ended up in an awkward position on driver's left near the top of the Corkscrew. Rather than risk ruining someone else's race with an unsafe re-entry, I ejected. And it was pretty much the only time I've ever been relieved to end a race early.

Hats off to the winners and survivors. Whoever had a good finish (or just finished in one piece) definitely earned it.
    Eric Klister
    Crawling Gecko Motorsports

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Had no idea what to expect for this race after I started having shifting problems the a day or two before the race. Damn thing would double downshift sometimes and not make the gear change other times. I've been using Logitech wheels for quite some time with my present one being a G920. My previous DFP did the same thing after it aged a bit. I used the aerosol duster on it but that didn't help. Anyway, I started the race expecting to have to bail at some point because of the problem. Tightened up the gearing a bit to hopefully avoid spinning on the double downshifts and that seemed to help. Not that it would have made much difference in where I finished but the issue did cost me some time per lap as the best I did in the race was a 24.8 or 9 while I could practice (before problems) in the high 23s and low to mid 24s. Didn't make many mistakes in the race and ended up with a (for me) decent finish. Hell, just finishing was a win! Was able to take the wheel at least partially apart today and blew it out better. Ran a few laps without the shifting issue so hopefully that's behind me. Congratulations to the winners and podium finishers.....well deserved!

On another note.....I never have fps (always triple digits) issues with my system running everything (except shadows) on high or full...but am not using DX11. Seems like too many people end up with problems using it. My specs: Intel Core i5@3.20GHz, 16GB dual Channel DDR3, MSI B85M-E45, nVidia GeForde GTX 760 <------whatever the hell all that means

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast