Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: S2 Rd. 4 - Road America Results, Replay and Discussion

Matt Horst is offline Established Member

I tried to keep the start consistent with the real race.They usually go when cresting the hill and see the green flag wave.I held 100kph as close as i could until that point.Generally across all racing communities the procedure is very similar.The pole sitter starts the race between the last corner and the start finish when he /she accelerates.I think the field got spread out a little and some guys were expecting to go after the last corner,witch i saw on the replay did cause some problems.Perhaps the start procedure could be a little more specifically defined,to go immediately after the last corner,or at the start/finish line or however Tim would like it conducted.Also maybe the pole sitter could setup a chat hotkey with a message of something like " GO GO GO"or "GREEN FLAG" so everyone will know exactly when to go.

Matt Horst is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymcc View Post

B: The race starting point will be at the apex of the final turn leading onto the front stretch at the end of the Formation Lap. No one is allowed to accelerate or pass another car until the S/F line.
    This is a little confusing."No one is allowed to accelerate or pass another car until the S/F line."Does "no one" mean literately everyone including the pole sitter who is leading the field or just everyone behind the pole sitter.The race can't start after the last corner and at the start finish line both,it has to be one or the other or somewhere in between.Like i said a more detailed start procedure is probably needed.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

To me personally is clear. The overall leader can go whenever he/she wants after the apex of the final turn. Is up to him.
    And no one can overtake before the S/F line. Go under acceleration on this case doesnt mean race is on. Race is only on after the S/F line.

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Let me clarify a few things before this discussion regarding the start and certain rules continues.

1. The point of acceleration has been, since race 2 at Mosport, at the apex of the final turn leading to the S/F line. I have already told the Rules Review Committee that because of what happened this week at Road America, I want to shoulder some of the blame for not repeating this rule during Warmup. It should also be said that I did ask if there were any questions about the start, and the briefing was clear on the start point. With that said, anything that happened has happened, I won't let the Driver's Meeting fall to the wayside again in the future. I was lax this past race, and I just thought that by now we were all on the same page already after a few races.

2. No passing until the S/F line rule has been in the CMS rules for as long as I can remember, and it goes hand in hand with the Orange Zone to prevent accidents before the race really gets going. While it may not be used in real road racing, it has definitely helped keep the race starts ordered and mostly accident free. That's a good thing. If we were running 15 minute sprint races, we wouldn't have that rule, but 60-90 minutes, plenty of time to go from the back to the front as we've seen done.

3. The No Qualifying penalties are not series dependent, they are used by NARS, WRS and since they are outlined in the Champion Motorsports League Rules & Regulations the penalties, and how they are served, are set for use by all series. We're not the only multi-class series here. Also, I discussed with the Rules Committee just prior to this week's race on the very subject of where prototypes serving penalties should be placed on the grid. Straight up, it was my call...and I believe that not qualifying and starting 4th on the grid isn't much of a penalty, plus there's the confusion that can happen by having to edit the grid prior to the race and if I was just being an admin and not racing wouldn't be a big deal. But I'm also trying to race and have fun so, for the sake of some things, I'm trying to simplify race night. So between those two reasons, I elected to leave everyone as they were placed on the grid and we move on. I made a post that day, which I know probably wasn't enough notice for everyone to see, but the decision was made.

4. The one thing that the rules committee did say, and I absolutely agree with, is that once a penalty method or grid placement decision was made for the series, it has to stay that way the rest of the season, and that makes total sense. It wouldn't be fair now to change it so P2's line up behind the others after several races of them starting in the back.

Let's not let one race out of four so far this season affect how we are racing. We have a great series going here, a great turnout in my opinion, and we will always have starts where prototypes are behind GTs for whatever reason, we just need to continue working together so that everyone has a great race night.

Also realize that the rules are not going to change on a whim. They have been developed over many years of racing here at CMS, and while some are stringent, they are done in the best interest of everyone on race night having a good start and settling into a rhythm, running a complete race.

I'm not criticizing anyone for posting their thoughts in this thread, as any type of constructive commentary is always helpful looking forward. But for now let's just head to VIR, which has an extremely tough first sector, knowing that not only in the opening lap will we possibly have multiclass traffic, but it's going to be happening all night long.
    jham, JTninja, Flyer23 and 2 others like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123