Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: S2 Rd. 4 - Road America Results, Replay and Discussion

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Apologies to John Uyan for tagging him early in the race, just glad it didn't end your day. I had apologized to Matt O post race on TS thinking it was him. Expected to do much better during the race but mistakes, one big enough to knock my steering off center a bit, dictated something different. No matter what, I had fun as usual and look forward to VIR.
    TimCollier and Jon Uyan like this.

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

I love Road America, it's one of my favorite tracks. I had a great setup for the Corvette when we raced here earlier this season, so wasn't concerned about tweaking it....more on that later.

Didn't have the pure overall speed of most GTE drivers, so my best plan was to go with Mediums, fill the tank with fuel, and just drive. Qualified with a PB, which was good enough for 7th in class. At the start, I went wide into T1 and lost a spot, and before L2 was over I had moved into basically last place in GTE. Then the carnage after the kink, and another tap and spin ahead of me into T5, I found myself in 4th in class. The tires were doing great, and once they finally warmed up the car was feeling really good, low 2:05's, even a high 2:04, which was nothing compared to the guys on softs, so my hope was that only myself (and I knew Matt was doing the same thing) would do the no-stop run. Sure enough, Sebastian pitted giving up 3rd and I just tried to keep the car off the walls the rest of the way for a podium finish. I spun twice, out of T1 and T8, and hit the inside wall causing some damage but nothing affecting the way the car drove. It then hit me that the setup I was using was prior to the v1.5 update where they changed the car intertia values! Doh! The car felt really front heavy, but not understeery, if that makes sense.

But with this group, even if it wasn't with speed and through the misfortunes of others, I'll happily take a podium!!

Big congratulations to Matt Horst on the GTE class win, you had the speed and the strategy, great call!

Don Fryman, back on the top step, congrats buddy!

And JT, congraulations on the overall win from the back, really happy to have you on the track with us!

See everyone at VIR!
    Jon Uyan, Tom and Matt Horst like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

I'd also like to add a big thank you to Alex Coutie for his work on this track. It's the best version of Road America out there for rFactor2!
    jham, Tom and Matt Horst like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

faspit is offline Frank Speer

I have to thank Fahn for a nice setup, was a little more comfortable than the one Tim was nice enough to offer me last season. I had more speed and better times during the week practicing off line with AI to get better with traffic. So online for the race, practice was going good then all of a sudden my computer started getting lag, no idea at the time. So I left the server, lowered my settings to gain fps and all, rebooted, rejoined and everything seemed lovely. Go out for Q and I had the default setup in there for some unknown reason, well after spinning it and not feeling all that great I figured the end of the starting grid is a good place for me. Got the right setup and my strategy in place, ready for it now. Go to grid and with all the cars my fps drops to 25, WTH, haven't had that since my games on my Commodores... we go around for the pace lap and the fps goes up to 35-40 so ok I can deal with that I think. I was wrong, Had to let everyone go bye and keep away from everyone else and the screen was grain and not clean, my mirrors were crystal clear tho. I was ok with 1-2 other cars but when 3 were in view I lost my fps and the screen chopping was terrible, just bailed to keep from hurting anyone else's night.

Flyer23 is offline John Nelson

I too was going with a no stop and MEDIUMS, but once again the cause of my DNF was because of P2's not qualifying and starting at the back of the field. I would propose allowing them to join the rear of the P2 field on the pace lap going forward. I hope Tim will consider it for safety reasons Other then that I had 24 hours to cool off and congrats to all the people who finished
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS SABERTOOTH X58, Ram-12GB GSKILL, Processor-I7-950, DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 24" HD 1920 X 1200, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

Matt Horst is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    I too was going with a no stop and MEDIUMS, but once again the cause of my DNF was because of P2's not qualifying and starting at the back of the field. I would propose allowing them to join the rear of the P2 field on the pace lap going forward. I hope Tim will consider it for safety reasons Other then that I had 24 hours to cool off and congrats to all the people who finished
    I would suggest going a step farther and do away with the no quali penalty in favor of a drive through or stop and go.You can easily check the replay to make sure penalties were served in appropriate fashion.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

John's idea keeps all the P2's ahead (Q or NQ) until they necessarily start lapping us later in the race, and it keeps even the last of them in contact with his own class, at least for a while, and not in "panic mode" trying to catch up. I'm not saying the P2 in this case was feeling that, but trying to force a pass in a single lane part of the track does suggest the possibility.

There are places NOT to try to pass, particularly when a clear passing zone lies just a bit further ahead, and that was one of them.

As for me, I tried to make room for the two-wide, but I wouldn't do it again. Next time I just slam the door shut. And that's dangerous too, but probably the only chance I have in the slower car.
    Tom likes this.

Norm Graf is offline Established Member

I'd say that if the driver doesn't have to serve a drive thru, then that car should be allowed to catch up to the class he's in during the slow formation lap. The NQDT car is not allowed to pass anyone until his penalty is served.
    Also, as a former P1 and P2 driver in these multi class races, I must say to the slower classes, "don't do me any favors". What I mean is do not try to help me even if you think its the right thing to do. It usually turns out bad for both of us. Don't take a different line. or slow abruptly, or try to get out of the way. We can pass you any where we want as long as the slower car is predictable. That means Staying in the race line period. But don't hold the door open and try to close it at the last second either....that's usually bad too.

One other thing......the race either goes green when the leader takes the last apex.... or the start finish line.. make up your mind. A bunch of us almost crashed in the rear when every one took off then slammed on the brakes half way up the hill.
    Last edited by Norm Graf; 08-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    jham, Flyer23 and Tom like this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Graf View Post
    I'd say that if the driver doesn't have to serve a drive thru, then that car should be allowed to catch up to the class he's in during the slow formation lap. The NQDT car is not allowed to pass anyone until his penalty is served.
    Also, as a former P1 and P2 driver in these multi class races, I must say to the slower classes, "don't do me any favors". What I mean is do not try to help me even if you think its the right thing to do. It usually turns out bad for both of us. Don't take a different line. or slow abruptly, or try to get out of the way. We can pass you any where we want as long as the slower car is predictable. That means Staying in the race line period. But don't hold the door open and try to close it at the last second either....that's usually bad too.

One other thing......the race either goes green when the leader takes the last apex.... or the start finish line.. make up your mind. A bunch of us almost crashed in the rear when every one took off then slammed on the brakes half way up the hill.
    Matt (Q1 GTE) actually said in warmup, IIRC, that he would go only when he saw the green flag (having come up over the steep brow of the hill), and he did just that. I was first in the other lane (Q2 GTE) and didn't go until he did. Fwiw.

jerrymcc is offline Jerry McComas

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Matt (Q1 GTE) actually said in warmup, IIRC, that he would go only when he saw the green flag (having come up over the steep brow of the hill), and he did just that. I was first in the other lane (Q2 GTE) and didn't go until he did. Fwiw.
    Seems pretty clear.

B: The race starting point will be at the apex of the final turn leading onto the front stretch at the end of the Formation Lap. No one is allowed to accelerate or pass another car until the S/F line. Anyone found doing so and having an advantage over the driver ahead of them before the start/finish line will be penalized. A per-track Orange Zone will also still be in effect. If you lose control on the formation lap, you MUST let all cars pass and rejoin at the end. The penalty for not doing this is no qualifying at your next event. If you cause an accident on the formation lap, you will be DQ'd from the race results, and will not be allowed to qualify at your next event.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast