Thread: NARS Road America Penalties and Warnings - MUST READ

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Default NARS Road America Penalties and Warnings - MUST READ

Review Final

Formation Lap:

No issues

Start:

No issues

Comments: GT leader did not accelerate out of last corner as expected and this created accordion effect among the backpack of cars. The expectation of accelerating off the last turn did nearly cause an incident. F Speer (260.2) was too far behind setting up for the corner which allowed him to get a run on the cars ahead. He barely missed a major smash up. We should remind the drivers to stay in contact going into the last turn. Luckily everyone avoided contact. Recommend admin to change the wording of the start instructions maybe to make it more clear that cars are expected to speed up out of last corner apex where formation lap ends and race technically starts with the exception of no passing until reaching the S/F line.

OZ:

- A. Coutie, 4 wheels off at T1 exit. Warning for track limits.
    - A. dos Santos, 4 wheels off at T1 exit. Warning for track limits.
    - J. McComas, 4 wheels off at T1 exit. Warning for track limits.
    - F. Thomas, went off at T1, reentry was proper. Caution for car control in OZ.
    - S. Davis, contact with T. DiLibero at T2 apex. S. Davis went wide a little aided with several lag spikes and also JT Tami's car teleporting into Davis's nose section a split second during those spikes. Racing Incident.

Lap 3 Incident: S. Davis (P2) x C. Snow (GT)

This accident happened because S. Davis forced the pass on Snow. Davis was not side by side with Snow at turn-in point (491.9) and should've fall behind him for a safer negotiation of the high speed T11 which has a single racing line thru it. The accident also happened because Snow lost control and went wide even though there was no contact with Davis, there was actually quite a bit of gap between the two cars!. He could have follow his line and force Davis to slow. When he went off track left, and was on the grass next to the wall, he should have let the car stay off track and slow down until he could ease back on under control. He tried to accelerate to get back on. After he went across track (out of control) he should have used the brakes to hold the car off track until it stopped instead of accelerating to get back on. He was at fault for an unsafe track re-entry causing substantial damage to competitors. And he was at fault for lack of car control which started the chain reaction of incidents where he collected D. Baumbach and J. Nelson.

This was a 2 part review process; One for the initial mishandling of the apex, both Davis and Snow (both got Severe Warning), and second is for the Snow's car control afterwards.

- S. Davis ​Severe Warning
    - C. Snow, NQDT

Penalties Served

- C. Moore, served his NQ
    - N. Graf, served his NQ
    - R. Gomez, NQ (pending) did not race
    - E. Budzinski, NQDT (pending) did not race

Penalties Summary:

- A. Coutie Warning
    - A. dos Santos Warning
    - J. McComas Warning
    - S. Davis Severe Warning
    - C. Snow NQDT
    - R. Gomes NQ (pending)
    - E. Budzinski NQDT (pending)
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Series Admin Comment:

Regarding the suggestion of the review committee, I will post the exact acceleration point for ALL CARS from this point through the end of the season. Again, I take partial responsibility for not repeating the rule regarding accelerating out of the final turn, but fortunately it was no harm-no foul and we can move on to VIR.

A big thank you to everyone that made this race, other than the Lap 3 incident we had some great racing (and a few oops moments to be sure), but in the end it was exciting for most everyone that made the race.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Understood. No objections, re: the bottom line.

I was very annoyed (with myself) on top of everything else to see that I still had my foot flat on the gas even after hitting the right wall. Realized after thinking about it that I had followed the old "when in doubt, both feet out" rule...but had done so with my feet on the wrong pedals (!). That just made an already bad situation worse, and not only for me.

Sorry, once again, for my major role in the whole snafu.
    jham likes this.