Thread: 2017S2 - Rd. 4 - Road America Driver's Briefing - REQUIRED READING

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Default 2017S2 - Rd. 4 - Road America Driver's Briefing - REQUIRED READING

NARS 2017 Season 2 Round 4
    Road America (Elkhart Lake)
    Thursday, August 17, 2017

Mod File: NARS_2017_S2_D ***UPDATED 8/4/2017***

Track Download: Steam Workshop - SCES Road America v1.42
    * Note - be sure you do not have any other Road America tracks installed, as I was testing another track and that track was loaded instead of this version as the names were the same! *

Classes: P2, GTE, GTC

Event Details: *** Updated 8-14-2017 ***

Practice: 5:30pm Central Time (US), 10:30pm GMT - 165 minutes
    Qualify: 8:15pm Central Time (US), 1:15am GMT - 15 minute Private Qualifying - Unlimited Laps
    Warmup: 8:30pm Central Time (US), 1:30am GMT - 10 minute drivers briefing
    Race: 8:40pm Central Time (US), 1:40am GMT - 75 minutes

https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/cst-t...,0,4101241&h=6

Track Conditions and Weather Forecast:

Temperature: 71F - 72F (22C)
    Skies: Partly Cloudy to Overcast Skies late in the race
    Wind: SE @ 5-6mph
    Dry Weather

Local Race Start Time: 1:30pm
    Time Acceleration: 2X

Optional Downloads
    TeamSpeak Chat Client Highly recommended to enhance your CMS Racing experience
    New improved CMS rF2 Spotter Plugin with CMS driver names! Highly recommended to greatly enhance your racing experience!
    Relative Time Plug-in to see all cars on track relative to your position, current position in class, and a color indicator to display driver's car class ** Note: This plug-in does not work in DX11 **

Driver Briefings:

Password see THIS post

Penalties to be served:

- C. Moore, NQ
    - N. Graf, NQ
    - R. Gomez, NQ (pending from Mosport race)
    - E. Budzinski, NQDT (pending from Mosport race)

Start type: Manual Rolling (see below).

Orange Zone Info: (What is an Orange Zone? See rules & regs.)

Orange Zone is through turn 3

NOTES:

1. All events will be run in 100% dry conditions for the entirety of the race but weather conditions such as sky, humidity, outside temp, track temp, wind speed and direction will change for each race. See Track Conditions above for forecast.

2. NO MANDATORY PIT STOP.

3. Fuel and Tire usage will be set to 1x.

Warm Up Session:

Once the Warm Up session has started THE TRACK WILL BE CLOSED for the Drivers Meeting and no one is allowed to be on track during the drivers meeting. If someone does go on track while the track is considered Closed they will get a warning message from the Admin to get off the track, if they do not get off the track after this warning in a timely manner their qualifying position will be forfeited and they will be put at the back of their class for the rolling start.

Start Procedure:

A: For this series, we will continue to use a modified rolling start. This will include a one-lap, single file rolling formation lap controlled by the driver that won the pole position for P2 and GTE. For the start of the formation lap the GTE and GTC class will be considered one class. Once the green flag has dropped the P2 class will start their formation lap following the Pole Sitter at a pace speed of 60mph (100kph). The pole sitter for the GTE class will wait at least 5 seconds before the GTE and GTC classes start their formation lap at a speed of 60mph (100kph).

If a driver other than the Pole sitter for the P2 or GTE/GTC class advances from their qualifying position at the start of the formation lap they will be required to allow all cars in their class (GTE & GTC are considered one class during the formation lap) to advance and they will have to start the race at the rear of their class field. If they do not follow this procedure they will receive a NQ for the next race they attend.

B: The race starting point will be at the apex of the final turn leading onto the front stretch at the end of the Formation Lap. No one is allowed to accelerate or pass another car until the S/F line. Anyone found doing so and having an advantage over the driver ahead of them before the start/finish line will be penalized. A per-track Orange Zone will also still be in effect. If you lose control on the formation lap, you MUST let all cars pass and rejoin at the end. The penalty for not doing this is no qualifying at your next event. If you cause an accident on the formation lap, you will be DQ'd from the race results, and will not be allowed to qualify at your next event.

C. Do not weave back and forth, abruptly speed up or slow down, or jam on the brakes in an attempt to warm your tires or brakes during the formation lap.[/B] This could easily cause an accident with another car anyone found doing so may receive a NQ for the next race they attend.

D.
    Be advised that as the game places you on the grid the car directly in front of you is NOT the car that you qualified behind. It would be the car ahead and in the opposite lane.

E.
    As the leader starts rolling you need to allow the car in the row ahead and in the opposite lane to "fall in" behind the car directly ahead to achieve single file in the proper qualifying order.

F.
    If you lose control on the formation lap, you MUST let all cars pass and rejoin at the end. The penalty for not doing this is a no qualify/drive thru at your next event. If you cause an accident on the formation lap, you will be DQ'd from the race results, and will receive a no qualify/drive thru at your next event.

Pit sharing:

Be aware that some of the tracks that we use will have less pit stalls than we have drivers. Therefore it is very likely that you are sharing a pit stall with another driver. The best way to deal with this is for you to always pit as far as you can to the inside of the pit stall. This way if the driver your sharing with pits on the same lap as you, there will be room for them to receive pit service as well. If done correctly this works quite well. If you have never done this I recommend you practice this until you feel comfortable with it. Essentially you are splitting the stall in half. If you pull too far to the side the crew will not service you. If you don't pull far enough to the side the crew will not service the driver you are sharing with.

Track boundaries:

Unless otherwise specified in the driver briefing all CMS league wide rules and regs regarding track boundaries are in effect. Both qually and race replays are reviewed and anyone found to be routinely abusing the track limits will receive a NQ (no qualifying for the next race you attend) or even the possibility of being DQ'd from the results if abused constantly throughout the race.

Turn 1 has a paved run-off area that is NOT to be used as the racing surface. You must, as always, keep two wheels on the racing surface through and out of T1. If you run wide in T1 (or any other turn), you must not use that area to gain an advantage on other drivers, and you will be subject to penalties. Automatic penalties will be given to anyone using run-off areas in qualifying and during the race formation lap and OZ on the opening race lap. Drivers can submit a protest against others who abuse these areas to gain time, and they will be reviewed by the Race Review Committee.

Road America is now up and cycling on the server!

This weekend, August 7th, the IMSA series will race at Road America! Race starts at 2:30pm Eastern and can be followed at:

Television:

Fox Sports 1 (FS1) beginning at 2:30E/1:30C US

IMSA Live Streaming at IMSA.COM

For tips on getting around Road America, watch this great tutorial of the Ford GT in iRacing (from VRS Virtual Racing School):

I'm sure most of you have been around this place before, and while it's easy to learn there's so many places to lose and gain time.

This should be a great race for all classes, and I hope to see you in Wisconsin!! Good luck everyone!!
    Last edited by TimCollier; 08-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

I'm proud to announce that I have finished my new skin for the Corvette, still have some work to do for driver suit and helmet but....can't wait to run it at Road America next week!!

Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

First post updated with the following changes:

Event schedule:

Practice: 5:30pm Central Time (US), 10:30pm GMT - 165 minutes
    Qualify: 8:15pm Central Time (US), 1:15am GMT - 15 minute Private Qualifying - Unlimited Laps
    Warmup: 8:30pm Central Time (US), 1:30am GMT - 10 minute drivers briefing
    Race: 8:40pm Central Time (US), 1:40am GMT - 75 minutes

https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/cst-t...,0,4101241&h=6

Track boundaries:

Turn 1 has a paved run-off area that is NOT to be used as the racing surface. You must, as always, keep two wheels on the racing surface through and out of T1. If you run wide in T1 (or any other turn), you must not use that area to gain an advantage on other drivers, and you will be subject to penalties. Automatic penalties will be given to anyone using run-off areas in qualifying and during the race formation lap and OZ on the opening race lap. Drivers can submit a protest against others who abuse these areas to gain time, and they will be reviewed by the Race Review Committee.

Penalties to be served:

- C. Moore, NQ
    - N. Graf, NQ
    - R. Gomez, NQ (pending from Mosport race)
    - E. Budzinski, NQDT (pending from Mosport race)

If you have ANY questions about these updates, or any other rule, please post below!

-
    Last edited by TimCollier; 08-14-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Tim Collier

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

Question: How far can we go on the scape zone of T1?
    There is a white line but after this line, there is a zone that can be used as track, like a very low curb but with asphalt colour.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloRacer View Post
    There is a white line but after this line, there is a zone that can be used as track, like a very low curb but with asphalt colour.
    I'll look at it this evening Angelo. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Tim Collier

Flyer23 is offline John Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    I'll look at it this evening Angelo. Thanks for bringing it up.
    My opinion is the 2 wheels on the track rule would apply. Anything beyond the grey curbing would be all 4 wheels off the track.....just my opinion
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS SABERTOOTH X58, Ram-12GB GSKILL, Processor-I7-950, DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 24" HD 1920 X 1200, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

Well, I won't be able to make this week's race, due to the late finishing time. Even if the time had not been changed, it would not have made a difference. That is why i did not say anything about the change. I can barely make the 60 min. races work, with my schedule. I was planning on moving to the World League starting this weekend, anyway. Hope to see a lot of you there, and best of luck with the season! If my work schedule changes, I WILL be back.

"In Order To Finish First, You Must First Finish"
    -See You On Track!

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloRacer View Post

After taking a look at the Turn 1 exit, that section does have a white line indicating the boundary of the racing surface. Even though the runoff has more pavement, that is considered out of bounds.

This also applies to the exit of Turns 5, 8, 12 and 13 (see map in Post #1 above).

Keep two wheel on the racing surface, which includes the white lines. That's the CMS rules.
    AngeloRacer, Flyer23 and El Seba like this.
    Tim Collier

mightyturtle is offline Eric Klister

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    After taking a look at the Turn 1 exit, that section does have a white line indicating the boundary of the racing surface. Even though the runoff has more pavement, that is considered out of bounds.

This also applies to the exit of Turns 5, 8, 12 and 13 (see map in Post #1 above).

Keep two wheel on the racing surface, which includes the white lines. That's the CMS rules.
    FWIW, this has basically been the rule at RA for the finer real-life professional racing series.
    Eric Klister
    Crawling Gecko Motorsports

For those that didn't get a chance to watch the exciting race a week or so back, here it is:

One thing to note....they were really using the run-off in T1 in the race, but as mentioned yesterday that's not allowed here.

But the hard racing and big field size?

That's most certainly allowed
    Flyer23 likes this.
    Tim Collier

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast