• 4 Post By TwoFlatTires
  • 5 Post By Z_Stig
  • 4 Post By TimCollier
  • 6 Post By Flyer23
  • 5 Post By Jason Whited

Thread: Porsche smashes Bellof's Nordschleife lap record with uprated 919

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Default Porsche smashes Bellof's Nordschleife lap record with uprated 919

Porsche has unofficially smashed the late Stefan Bellof's outright lap record for the Nurburgring-Nordschleife with its 919 Hybrid Evo.

Two-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Timo Bernhard knocked nearly a minute off Bellof's 1983 Nurburgring 1000Km pole position time of 6m11.13s around the 12.94-mile Nordschleife.
    https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...ecord-with-919

I've been waiting for this after hearing that they were going to attempt it a few days ago. Personally, not really all that "exciting" to me, but the cool factor is surely there.

I was under the impression Bellof's record was left untouched as a show of respect, I guess I was wrong.

Regardless, with no restrictions, the time shouldn't really be surprising at all.

It'll never be Bellof on a near suicidal run in that madness that was the 956 for a variety of reasons. Bellof still the king!

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

I have to agree with you Jason.

It's like telling me Barry Bonds home runs are equally as big an achievement as Hank Aaron's... It's not apples to oranges, but it is like apples to pineapples. There should be multiple entries for the record, considering the era (and with what technology) this was accomplished.

Aside from that, it's awesome to see cars getting closer and closer to the 5 minute mark around the ring!!
    Last edited by TwoFlatTires; 06-29-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Technically, the record still belongs to Bellof as his was done in qualifying and private test sessions like 919's do not count officially.

That said, it's amazing what these cars can do when you take the handcuffs off.

Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Stig View Post
    Technically, the record still belongs to Bellof as his was done in qualifying and private test sessions like 919's do not count officially.

That said, it's amazing what these cars can do when you take the handcuffs off.

My God....368kph (228mph). And you know it's not a low downforce setup....
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Flyer23 is online now John Nelson

I just sat here with my mouth hanging open for 5 minutes :O
    2012 CMS North American and World Divison P1 Champion

Case-HAF922, Motherboard-ASUS SABERTOOTH X58, Ram-12GB GSKILL, Processor-I7-950, DVD Burner-ASUS X 2, Power Supply-Corsair HX850, Wheel-T500-Ferrari F1 Rim, Monitor-LG 24" HD 1920 X 1200, Video Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, then you are no longer a racing driver. I am not designed to come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am designed to win.." Ayrton Senna

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    I just watched that myself. Did the exact same thing. Holy shit!

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer23 View Post
    Pretty much my reaction too, John, even a day later. I was fortunate enough to see Jason's link early Friday and copied it right away to anyone I thought might care...

...all while drooling out of my lower lip...because my jaw was just that slack. Hanging down in disbelief, as it were.

I recall seeing...Forza 4 maybe...a trailer...of a grey AMG Mercedes prototype lapping Nurb in 5:26 or somesuch...and I also recall watching about fifteen seconds of that video and shutting it off, almost laughing and at the same time screaming at the silent walls around me (as if they cared)..."ARCADE!!!"

But now I've just seen ARCADE in real life. They took off almost a whole MINUTE? Really?
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 07-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.