Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pace driver wrecked at Detroit (I'll just leave this here)

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Default Pace driver wrecked at Detroit (I'll just leave this here)

Marc Cohn likes this.

davidan is offline David Anderson

Whoops. when it goes it goes

my personal motorsports blog

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

How to resolve this? Have the driver, GM's Vice President, do a car control course/racing school viral video and have it all over social media

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Cohn View Post
    How to resolve this? Have the driver, GM's Vice President, do a car control course/racing school viral video and have it all over social media
    Or, have him just publically admit he screwed up and advise new Vette owners not try the same thing. He could turn a negative into a positive by pointing out the car has so much power it got away from him... even on a race track... hahaha. I think it is funny they keep referring to the driver as a celebrity, but would not mention any names during the broadcast... hahaha.

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

The old saying never fails; You gotta leave it to a professional..
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Not only wrecked but let the car roll back into the middle of the track, shedding car parts, in front of oncoming race cars. The driver was clueless or letting Tesla's AI to drive it.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    Not only wrecked but let the car roll back into the middle of the track, shedding car parts, in front of oncoming race cars. The driver was clueless or letting Tesla's AI to drive it.
    Or...and in defense of the celebrity driver...does Indycar change any of the setups on any of the pacecars from race to race? If they don't they sure should have for Bell Isle.

Commentary from both Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever reiterated, over and over (as if you couldn't see it for yourself watching) that Bell Isle is EXTREMELY bumpy, and particularly so in the brake zones. The normal setup remedy for that is soft springs-stiff roll bars. You absorbe the bumps...and then distribute them to both sides of the car.

I have to wonder if INDYCAR themselves ever thought to soften the springs on that Vette...or if they simply just shipped it in from the last venue.

Just pondering here....

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Fair statement. But if the driver ISN'T a pro, shouldn't you have also taken time to think it through? Yes, you should have.

Give the driver (however inexperienced) a survivable setup, aka ...give the car a lot of PUSH/understeer. Don't ask of an inexperienced driver that they perform at at professional level.

JJ Addison is offline Community Leader

I was on a job site a few years back in Boston area when some girl was pissed off at a Corvette dealership we heard all this yelling and watched her get in a brand new Vette and fly out of the dealership and the same thing happened. The rear broke loose as she tore up the parkway. She was dead on the scene. Put the dam car right thru a pole.
    Racing From The Darkside!

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

"Celebrity driver"

The driver of the pace car, Mark Reuss, leads the design, engineering, safety, quality, research and development, advanced vehicle technology and program management of General Motors.

I'm guessing he's a paper pusher.
    The job description doesn't really scream "celebrity" to me...but I guess that's what they'll go with.

Hilarious.
    HeatCAN likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast