Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Troy Dalton
  • 1 Post By Jason Whited

Thread: The Montreal Formula E saga

Gilles Lalonde is offline Established Member

Default The Montreal Formula E saga

Hi guys,

During the 2017 summer, the ex-mayor of Montreal put together a big party called "Montréal c’est électrique" (Montreal is electric) as the city is in a great big push to electrify it's public transit. Our Metro is electric but all surface buses are diesel. A push to electrify a multitude of surface lines with a bunch of light-rail system is in the works.

There were technology exposition and electric car galore... all kinds of electrical stuff. One of the main event was a round of the FIA Formula E Championship.

So a big party with tax payers money... it flopped... really flopped. No body went.... period. Race ticket sales were none existent. They had to give thousands of tickets away so there would be people in the grand stands for the TV.

Electric car race... how stupid can that be? The cars can't even rally the end, recharging takes too long, they have to change cars in the middle of the event. I you go racing at Le Mans and your car dies during the race, you can't continue with another car. If you try to beat some kind of world record, you must make your attempts in the same vehicle. You can start with one and finish with another. I find the whole idea behind the formula E Championship to be flawed. It's Mikey Mouse.

I'm hoping your mayors won't have any big ideas with that... it's gonna cost you millions:

The Montreal Gazette Formula-E-10,000-more-freebies-than-previously-revealed
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 20gigs on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running an Asus 560GTX (1gig) on an new AOC Q2963 screen... I'm doing way better! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

I have yet to warm up to Formula E, but I do think there is a future for it and I read somewhere that Formula E is eventually going to have cars that can complete full races as early as 2019, so there's that. I also think that they look kinda cool. There not as sexy as the new Indy cars, but they look good from most angles. I do agree the car swapping is kinda Mickey Mouse, but it's the nature of the beast at the moment.

As far as politicians pissing away tax payers money on poor investments...well, that's a time honored tradition here in America. We have a long tradition of spending billions of dollars on publicly funded stadiums that have little to no tangible value to the city, county or it's citizens. The NFL is the worst. Why does a billion dollar industry, owned by billionaires, need public funding to build a stadium? It's totally absurd!

Here are some fun facts...

Taxpayers paid $390 million of the $560 million it took to build a new stadium in Seattle. Seahawks owner Paul Allen is worth nearly $16 billion and yet the Seahawks pay the city a paltry $1 million per year in rent. Do the math...and do you remember the old Kingdome that the seahawks used to play in...well, the city still owed $83 million the day they blew it up.

and a little closer to home for me...

D.C. United strong armed $150 million from Washington, D.C. to keep the team from moving to Northern Virginia. Don't worry though, that money will come out of the unneeded school modernization program...yea...a shitty MLS team got a $150 million dollar stadium. I know, it boggles the mind.
    Jason Whited likes this.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Dalton View Post
    I have yet to warm up to Formula E, but I do think there is a future for it and I read somewhere that Formula E is eventually going to have cars that can complete full races as early as 2019, so there's that. I also think that they look kinda cool. There not as sexy as the new Indy cars, but they look good from most angles. I do agree the car swapping is kinda Mickey Mouse, but it's the nature of the beast at the moment.

As far as politicians pissing away tax payers money on poor investments...well, that's a time honored tradition here in America. We have a long tradition of spending billions of dollars on publicly funded stadiums that have little to no tangible value to the city, county or it's citizens. The NFL is the worst. Why does a billion dollar industry, owned by billionaires, need public funding to build a stadium? It's totally absurd!

Here are some fun facts...

Taxpayers paid $390 million of the $560 million it took to build a new stadium in Seattle. Seahawks owner Paul Allen is worth nearly $16 billion and yet the Seahawks pay the city a paltry $1 million per year in rent. Do the math...and do you remember the old Kingdome that the seahawks used to play in...well, the city still owed $83 million the day they blew it up.

and a little closer to home for me...

D.C. United strong armed $150 million from Washington, D.C. to keep the team from moving to Northern Virginia. Don't worry though, that money will come out of the unneeded school modernization program...yea...a shitty MLS team got a $150 million dollar stadium. I know, it boggles the mind.

Got to fund those black ops somehow.
    Last edited by Jason Whited; 02-13-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: many avenues, many approaches.
    Troy Dalton likes this.

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Dalton View Post
    Just to provide some perspective, D.C. United is ranked 430th in the world.

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

At least Seahawks Stadium actually passed a referendum for public funding, the baseball field next to it was voted down by the public and yet WA state legislators "approved an alternate means of funding for the stadium with public money". After publicly funding two stadiums, we told the NBA team to beat it when they wanted the public to build them a new stadium. After we did that, every realistic proposal for stadium development has been privately funded.

One new privately funded stadium that would have added a third stadium to the SoDo district was denied, but the city just approved a $500mil privately funded redevelopment project for the basketball arena that will probably bring the NHL to town in the short term with the possibility of NBA again in the long term. In this deal the city basically gave the developers a sweetheart deal on the land to make the deal happen instead of trying to get the public fund it directly.

Anyway, to get this post back on topic I like Formula-E from the perspective of a platform to develop technologies, I really want to see more performance oriented electric cars in the market, electric motors absolutely rip from a dead stop compared to ICE. Can't really speak much to the racing itself, I find it just as unexciting as most other forms sealed surface racing.