Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Troy Dalton
  • 2 Post By DaveS

Thread: Ferrari F1...just quit already!

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

Default Ferrari F1...just quit already!

Ferrari is like a petulant child that stomp's their feet and throws a tantrum every single time they don't get their way. As a life long Ferrari fan, I am totally sick of their $hit. This isn't even about who's right or wrong, because I don't agree with everything that Liberty Media is proposing, but that isn't the point.

You are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem.

Ferrari, in as much as I hate to say this, is part of the problem. Ultimately, Ferrari doesn't give a rats ass about anyone but Ferrari and they aren't interested in doing anything that doesn't specifically benefit the Ferrari brand. What Ferrari is simply trying to do is rally fans against Liberty Media, by using hyperbolic terminology like "NASCAR Globally" and making not so veiled threats.

Being the oldest and most prestigious brand in F1, Ferrari wields a lot of clout, but instead of presenting alternatives or options to improve the sport, they would simply rather throw a fit. Why? Because they think they are in charge, but guess what. Liberty Media own's F1, not Ferrari.

Look, Ferrari does this every single time they don't get they're way and they are clearly unwilling to compromise, so they should quit...and sooner than later. However, if they think quitting F1 is going to benefit the brand, they are completely insane. There is literally no way in hell that a Ferrari owned racing series is going to usurp F1 and you don't have to be an insider to understand why that idea is completely daft.

Seriously, what manufacturer in their right mind is going to compete in a series that is owned, operated, and ruled by a competitor who is clearly going to stack the deck in their own favor!?!

Unless Liberty Media is run by total idiots, they must know that Ferrari really has no where else to go. Oh sure, the absence of Ferrari would certainly leave a huge gap...for awhile, but there is a saying, "Out of sight, out of mind" and time has a funny way of relegating you to the "remember when" history bin.

Would Ferrari really leave F1?

Absolutely, because they are run by arrogant a$$holes who would eagerly destroy the sport just to get their way. Secretly, I think Ferrari is just looking for a reason to quit F1, because they haven't won a manufacturer's championship since 2008 and haven't been truly dominate since the days of Michael Schumacher. So, we wait and see who flinches first and whether or not F1 has learned anything from the IRL/Cart self immolation. Ultimately, this is why I'd prefer Ferrari to just go, if they are so inclined. Nobody wants to see F1 suffer the same consequences that American Open Wheel racing suffered some twenty odd years ago.

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

Totally agree with you on this one Troy. Ferrari is like a little kid when their not getting their way. I won't miss them one bit, the sport might for a while but there will always be another to take their place. Let them go and get on with making F1 into what it once was - the best racing series in the world.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

Z_Stig is online now Jason Lundy

They should quit and go prop up WEC LMP1
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

Something I neglected to add. After the 2016 season, Ferrari earned $180 million dollars, that was $9 million more than Mercedes and $19 million more than Red Bull. This is interesting, because many people are not aware that Ferrari receives an annual $68 million "Long Standing Team" payment from F1. They are the only team who gets such a payment, although Williams gets a similar $10 million "Heritage" payment each year.

This long standing payment is basically a fee that F1 pays Ferrari to just show up. This single payment alone is more than Haas, Sauber, Renault, and Torro Rosso were individually paid for the entire 2016 season and it was only $4 million dollars less than Force India earned for finishing a single position behind Ferrari. This is ultimately why Ferrari's threat's are just that. Are they really willing to give up $180 a year and what about the hit on merchandising that is certain to have a huge impact on the world's most popular F1 team?

Keep in mind, F1 payouts come no where near covering the cost of doing business. However, the lesser teams spend far more money per point, than the upper echelon of the grid. For example, in 2016 Ferrari spent nearly $460 million to earn 398 points, while the now defunct Manor team spent over $100 million to earn a single point.

Liberty media wants to close this gap between teams, but Ferrari and now Mercedes don't want that to happen. Simply put...they don't want more competition. I don't disagree them either, because if I was spending that kind of money to finish third, the last thing I would want is more competitive teams, who spend less money. This is why Ferrari and Mercedes will go on the offensive, claiming that less cost, simpler engines, specs, etc...will water down formula one, leaving it no longer the pinnacle of technology.

Pardon my French, but that's utter bullshit.

F1 will always be at the pinnacle of technology, they just won't be able to piss away $4 million dollars on developing some stupid, redundant, winglet that may or may not provide an extra tenth in the wind tunnel.

Plus, if F1 teams are so worried about being at the forefront of automotive technology, they'd better hurry up and get on board with driver less cars, because that is apparently the wave of the future...that and all electric cars, according to Nico Rosberg...but I digress.

So, don't be fooled by nonsensical crap about the "Sandbox" becoming unrecognizable, because this is essentially all about money and power. Ferrari have long had both and Liberty Media now threatens Ferrari's stranglehold on F1.

Oh and if your wondering why Mercedes is joining the "We hate Liberty Media" club, it's because if Liberty doesn't blink and tells Ferrari to go piss up a rope and see if they can find $180 a season in endurance racing, Mercedes will be have literally no bargaining power on their own.

It's all about power and money people, don't be mislead.
    Flyer23 likes this.

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

I get a kick out of the phrase "always be at the pinnacle of technology". This is true with a lot of the new developments that they have brought forward and the auto industry have introduced into their new cars, but the auto industry is more than capable of developing "pinnacle technology" themselves. What F1 needs is a fair playing field when it comes to competition. They need to get rid of the payout system they have now that doesn't encourage the teams that don't have multi millions of dollars to spend each year. Get rid of the hybrid system including the MGU-H and MGU-K, the turbo V6's, and all the other pieces that costs millions for each team to develop and lets get back to basic racing on a fair playing field (so to speak).
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team