Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil E
  • 1 Post By Jon Uyan
  • 1 Post By blackcat77

Thread: Corvette C8.R Breaks Cover

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Corvette C8.R Breaks Cover

Spy photos from a test at Road America with the mid-engine C8.R (not much to see though)....and the second link below contains a recording of the twin-turbo V8. Quite different from the normally-aspirated V8, but that's the regs to be competitive.

https://sportscar365.com/industry/ex...-breaks-cover/

https://sportscar365.com/industry/au...-turbo-engine/
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Phil E is offline CMS Admin-at-large

I dunno. A few years ago I thought a midengined vette would be cool, then the C7 redefined my expectations.
    Z_Stig likes this.

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

That rear end looks like Lister Storm from 2003-04 FIA GT class. Too bad no frontal shot.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Yawn, I figured they'd go mid-engined with the C8, but turbos? Really? So tired of turbo cars.

The 911 RSR is pretty competitive running a naturally aspirated engine, so what gives Chevy? Gonna miss that pushrod V8 noise.

Since it's a turbo unit, does that automatically mean the C8 is turbo'd? Or since WEC GTE regs allow a production-based motor from any of the cars the OEM makes, does that mean Caddy's twin-turbo V8 is going in?
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by Z_Stig View Post
    Yawn, I figured they'd go mid-engined with the C8, but turbos? Really? So tired of turbo cars.

The 911 RSR is pretty competitive running a naturally aspirated engine, so what gives Chevy? Gonna miss that pushrod V8 noise.

Since it's a turbo unit, does that automatically mean the C8 is turbo'd? Or since WEC GTE regs allow a production-based motor from any of the cars the OEM makes, does that mean Caddy's twin-turbo V8 is going in?

I think it's safe to assume the Caddy has been doing the test work for the C8's power plant.

Yes, being a muscle car owner and "no replacement for displacement" kind of guy, I'm going to miss that big V8 growl.

But if it means someone will take the Fords down a notch or two, then I'm all in.
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Here's the front....

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/09/...ng-at-road-am/

Reminds me of a Corvette DP.
    Tim Collier

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

Wow, that is a drastic change. Now it looks like Ferrari 488. Not sure I like that. Only time can tell.
    Z_Stig likes this.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

blackcat77 is offline Paul Hamilton

Looks generic but if it kicks ass, I'll forgive the boring looks.
    TimCollier likes this.