Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: CMS Car Roll Call (Post Pic and Specs of your Track or AutoX Car Here)

davidan is offline David Anderson

Default CMS Car Roll Call (Post Pic and Specs of your Track or AutoX Car Here)

Thought this was a great idea Jim Stainer had. Let's all post a picture of our cars that we use on the track or Auto Cross circuit, and any key specs or details about the car that you've added, etc.

my personal motorsports blog

Yankee is offline Tom Coyle

Here it Goes...

I have a 1996 Mazda Miata with the stock 1.8L & Open Diff Rear, Also has Power Steering & ACÖ

I bought the car a little over a year ago in bone stock condition with 119k on the odometer and needing quite a bit of tlc. I gave just under $3,000 for it.

This is what Iíve done to date:

General:
    Replaced the Soft Top
    Put on Tire Rackís 15x7 C1Mís Wheels with Dunlop ZII 205/50R15ís.
    Hard Dog Hardcore Hardtop DBL Diagonal Roll Bar
    Sparco Sprint 5 FIA Racing Seat
    Racequip 6pt FIA Harness

Suspension:
    Racing Beat Solid Front Sway Bar
    Racing Beat Adjustable SB End Links
    Billstein HD's
    QA1 Springs - 450F/300R
    All Star Sleeves
    ISC TopHats 1"F/1.5"R
    FatCat Bump Stops

Exhaust:
    RoadsterSport 3 Stainless exhaust from Goodwin Racing
    MagnaFlow Hi Flow Cat

Brakes:
    Rotors: Centric Plain Cryo-treated 120 Rotors
    Front Pads: StopTech Street Performance
    Rear Pads: Hawk HP Plus
    Flying Miata Stainless Brake Hoses
    Brake Fluid Flush with ATE Typ 200 DOT 4 Fluid
    Wilwood Proportioning Valve (still to be installed)

Maintenance:
    K&N Air Filter
    NGK Plugís & Wires
    Excedy OEM Clutch
    Shifter Rebuild Kit from Arlington Mazda
    All new OEM Coolant Hoses from Arlington Mazda
    Replaced Valve Cover Gasket & CAS O-Ring

UPDATE 8/6/2015:
    Finally got around to redoing the corners... After blowing out one of my rear Koni Yellows I replaced everything with Billstein HD's, All Star Sleeves, QA1 Springs - 450F/300R & ISC TopHats.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-06-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    Better to be in the last row of the grid than the first row of the grandstands...

charchri4 is offline Jim Stainer

Wow Tom that is a sweet set up and you set the bar high on profiles! So here goes...

96 Miata I got as a gift from my son. A gift that I had $1500 into and was worth about $500 because it was completely dead. I also owned a 02 Camaro SS that I loved but was one problem after another and down with a bad trans at the time. The solution seemed obvious...

General
    Swapped the dead 110hp 4cyl with the healthy 425hp LS1
    Fixed the trans with a stage 2 Viper build, B&M ripper shifter and LS6 clutch
    8.8 rear end from a thunderbird super coupe and Monster Miata axles
    A/C, P/S cruise control etc, 22 mpg, 0-60 3.6 seconds on street tires

Before and after although it has a corvette intake on it now

Suspension
    Spec Miata set up with 750/350 eibachs and bilstein shocks
    Flying Miata adjustable V8 sway bars
    Brakes (in process) 13" 2000 Corvette front, 11.5" Mini Cooper rear with Camaro calipers under 17x10 wheels

Cooper and the stock Miata plates

Body
    In a nutshell Jim got board and built a wide body fenders from scratch and painted the car for no reason at all.

Interior
    DIY rollbar and door bars
    Corbeau A4s with Gforce 5 point harness
    350mm wheel full gauges etc.

Why???
    I just like messing around in the garage in the winter and seeing what I can do. I'd never welded, done body work, painted a car, swapped an engine or pretty much anything else before I started. To be sure it looks like a kindergartener did most of the work and I clearly don't care about engine compartment clutter, but I'm having fun!

Before and after.

And the racing shot...

But most of the time she's just a daily driver running 70 miles of empty 2 lane country road everyday.
    Last edited by charchri4; 04-07-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    TimCollier, Phil E, TomC23 and 6 others like this.
    Jim Stainer <><
    On Flickr HERE

tannat is offline James Knowles

Hey Jim-where did you source the wing?
    James Knowles
    CMS NA Division Admin Team

charchri4 is offline Jim Stainer

It's a surprisingly accurate and well made ebay knock off of an APR 200 but I made proper end plates and mount for it. The only reason I got it is because it was 65 bucks shipped and thought with an overhaul it might look cool. What I didn't consider is the dumb thing might actually work. You can totally feel weight in the trunk over 60 and over 120 it dented the trunk lid. Who'd a thunk it! I've got a proper splitter / under pan about half done that is going on for the next track day.
    tannat likes this.
    Jim Stainer <><
    On Flickr HERE

TomC23 is offline Tom Cavanaugh

Kudos Jim, you have some mad fabrication skills. And Tom, I like the tastefull mods you have done to your Miata for autocross and track days.
    Last edited by TomC23; 04-07-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    charchri4 and Yankee like this.
    Driver
    Terrapin Racing
    Car# 223

Yankee is offline Tom Coyle

Completely agree... Jim you conquered a monumental undertaking... much respect!

Thanks Tom, a work in progress but i love it, love the garage time as much as the drive time...
    TomC23 and charchri4 like this.
    Better to be in the last row of the grid than the first row of the grandstands...

Here are my cars, that are my passion ...

#1 - 2012 Mini Cooper S - Factory JCW
    Named Pequeno "Little in Spanish"

This car is also my daily driver, but has become quite the little Autocross and Street Go Cart over the years. I have gotten so much joy out of this car. I originally bought it after meeting Phil Elmore here on the forums at CMS and taking him up on the offer to Autocross his 2007 Mini-S. Shortly after doing that I ordered this car. At the time of order I put in some neat accents in this car. It has Carbon Fiber JCW Wheel Inserts, with the JCW steering Wheel. It also has Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, shifter knob, and Front Bonnet cover. I also put in the JCW Club Leather Seats, and Checkered Floor Mats. It's a hot looking little car, but you must like black! As far as factory options it also has the JCW Factory Strut Brace, and JCW Red Lowering Springs, and the larger front JCW Sway bar directly from Mini. The car also came with the JCW Aero Kit and Larger Brakes, Turbo, etc. It makes 208 HP, and weighs about 2750. Maybe a little lighter now. This car is a manual 6-speed Transmission.

Over the years I've added the following to it

1. x2 Team Dynamics 1.2 light weight wheels
    2. I have 3 sets of performance tires with this car (2014 Rival S - BF Goodrich, 2015 Hankook RS-3 v2, and Falken Rt5615k that I won in an contingency)
    3. CarboTech AX 6 Autocross Pads on the Front (OEM Pads remain on the rear).
    4. Large Rear Sway Bar H-Sport set on Medium Stiff.
    5. Koni Yellow Shocks - Sport, set on Medium Stiff

This car is definitely hooked up, and a lot of fun to drive.
    Last edited by davidan; 04-26-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Phil E, TomC23, charchri4 and 2 others like this.

#2 - 2001 Miata LS 5 Speed with Torsen, 5 Speed Manual Transmission
    Named Milk - for "Mid Life Crisis"

This is my newest project, that has an identity crisis to be honest. It's part pretty day, top down car with my wife that we like to get out and drive in. It is also going through some Tender Love and Care and getting lots of maintenance and upgrades so that I can take it on HPDE days and Autocross Adventures as well. I also expect this car to see a few SCCA Gimmick Rallies as well in our local area. I got a great deal on this car, paid $4500 base for it from a single owner. It had a clean car fax and title and about 135k miles on it when I bought it. The car has been through a lot already, but here is a summary of what I've done to it and what I have planned in the coming months to get this one ready for prime time.

1. New Robbins Canvas Soft Top Added
    2. Spark Plugs Changed NGK, plug wires planned
    3. Koni Yellow Struts, adjustable (Same as my Mini)
    4. Hard Dog Sport Roll Bar, hard top compatible. (Black, w, Leather Padding)
    5. Rubber Trunk Mat Added
    6. Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads added with Motul Dot 4 600 Race Fluid Flush
    7. Car has been given a Flyin Miata Alignment which I really like in my initial drives
    8. Hankook RS3 v2 tires have been added on all 4 corners on the stock 16" wheels
    9. K&N Air Filter Added
    10. Fog Lights were replaced on this car
    11. Seat Foamectemy (planned to go along with Roll Bar)
    12. I bought a set of leather seats as well for this car, to replace the old ones and they will be swapped in and out with the cloths depending on use
    13. Replaced the Oil Dipstick, OEM, and License Plate Frame (zoom zoom baby)
    14. Racing Tow Hooks (planned)

This car still has a few issues that need to be addressed. I think it has a small brake fluid leak, that I have to pinpoint, maybe from the calipers but need to confirm. It also is going to have a Coolant Flush, and Track Inspection. It also has a minor Ride Height issue where the car sits about 1 inch lower on the driver side, that I think will be rectified when we install the Koni's on all four corners and look at the springs, bushings, etc.

Even in the few shorts months I've owned this car, we've already gotten our moneys worth out of it. It's brought big smiles to my wife and I both and we've had it out on several dates. I plan to shake it down hopefully in the next 2 weeks at an SCCA Track Night in America and then get it out soon for a non points Autocross event in May as well. Still have a few safety and maintenance things that have to be done though on it before I do that. but I am expecting lots of continued fun in this little guy.
    Last edited by davidan; 04-26-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    Phil E, TomC23, tannat and 2 others like this.

Phil E is offline CMS Admin-at-large

2007 MINI Cooper

Right now is stock except big rear ARB. I have autocrossed and tracked this car in multiple events since 09, and hooked David on driving events with it. It was more prepped for track with chip and camber plates, but this year my sons started autocrossing so I pulled stuff to get back into stock class. The twins plan to buy this car off me starting this fall. The pic below is one of my sons about to head out for a run at the recent SCCA autocross school.

And prepping for a run by checking tires

First year autocrossing (using painters tape) Yes, this IS the TEXAS flag on top!

About 2 years ago I got the need for a convertible. I had traded out of a 98 Mustand Cobra vert to get into the MINI to do track days, and missed the top down. The Answer was of course Miata, and specifically a very cherry 2001 Miata SE. However this was to be my cruiser car as my MINI was the track car. But then the local Miata group had to have a track day. What a blast!

So right now its in the shop getting this

Installed into this

Its still pretty stock, with only track brake pads and koni adjustables, but it more than holds its own
    davidan, TomC23, charchri4 and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast