Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: F1 2017 - Anyone getting it/Reviews?

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

Funny thing happened last Thursday. I had just finished a short test session and shutdown the computer as usual. However, it was taking an abnormally long time to actually shutdown. I was a little concerned, but not alarmed. Friday evening I fired up the sim rig and windows wouldn't start...greeaaaat. So, after fiddling around with the OS, I finally got it to boot to Windows (Seven btw) and then Steam took a dirt nap...and then I couldn't reinstall the video drivers...argh!

Now in my younger days, I'd have spent the entire weekend trying to diagnose and repair the problem. I don't have time for that crap anymore and it's far quicker to just blow it up and start from scratch. So, I did just that, except this time I installed my copy of Win10 that's been laying around collecting dust. Installed without a hitch, installed the video drivers (No GeForce Experience software this time), Steam, F1 2017, etc...

Everything works fine and I was able to test F1 2017 in both single monitor and multi-monitor setups. The game runs fabulous in both configurations, except in Career Mode, where it stutters like Mel Tellis (Obscure reference only people over the age of 50 will get).

So, back to square one. At this point I'm going to disable some of the additional controllers that I'm not using, like the handbrake and Speedshifter, just to rule them out them as a possible source of the problem. I'm also suspect of the wireless keyboard, just because it's an untethered USB device. Who knows what it is, but I know I'm not the only one experiencing these kinds of issues. The game is still playable, but I have to run it at a reduced resolution. I think it's a variation of a 16:9 resolution with bezel correction. 3960 x 720 if memory serves me correctly.

To be continued...

F1 2017 Career Mode Review (A second look)
    Purchase Date: August 24th
    Hours Played: 121

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a comprehensive review. I have only completed half of a season in career mode and approximately three dozen time trial / practice sessions. I do not participate in online play and the other available in-game sessions do not interest me. These are my observations of the Career Mode only.

Before I begin, let me preface this with a statement that will allow the reader to pretty much skip all the rest should you choose to do so.

F1 2017 Career Mode is the most comprehensive, entertaining, and challenging offline racingÖever.

Bold statement? Indeed, but it isnít all hyperbole. That doesnít mean the game doesnít have warts, but based on the current climate of sim racing, F1 2017 is the quintessential offline sim racing experience, even with those glaring errors.

Of course, that statement wonít be true for everyone and longtime fans of the series are rightfully going to complain very loudly that there are still nagging problems from previous versions that continue to go unaddressed. As the saying goes, ďfamiliarity breeds contempt.Ē Also, sims are like super models, so no matter how good they look to someone else, somebody somewhere is sick of their crap.

So, letís address the two major problems that Iíve experienced:

Occasional stuttering, even with high FPS - This apparently isnít something new, but Codemasters (CM) claims they are unable to repeat it. Theyíre either liars, not trying hard enough, or both because I can replicate the problem at will. I have been able to mitigate the issue by running a lower resolution, but pushing the native 1920 x 1080 over triple monitors is just not something that F1 2017 likes to do, despite having plenty of FPS overhead.

Safety Car Issues - During a safety car (SC) period, the SC will sprint out front at breakneck speed. I assume they are driving a Bugatti Veyron, because there have been times when I was unable to catch the safety car and was then given a penalty for falling too far behind. There is also the time when I was passed by one of the leaders during a SC and when I tried to pass them right back, I was warned for an illegal pass. This has apparently been addressed in the latest patch, but it may still be lurking out there.

Thatís pretty much my two biggest complaints. There are other minor issues, but nothing that would detract from the overall enjoyment of the game, so I won't discussion them here. So, letís talk about what I love about this game.

The AI are by far the best I have ever seen, in any game, period dot. They arenít perfect, but they are light years ahead of anything else out there. They fight for position, defend, intimidate, move out of the way when they are on an out lap and youíre on a hot lap, they respect blue flags, and they even make mistakes that donít have that canned feel. No, they wonít replace the online league experience, but they are a pretty good substitute and in some ways, the AI provide an experience that is better than some of the uglier aspects of online racing.

I have noted times when the AI does seem overly aggressive and they were downright mental at the start of Azerbaijan, but they arenít vindictive like humans can be. They donít set out to ruin your race and they donít intentionally drive backwards, park in the middle of the track, send nasty PMís, verbally abuse you, etc.

They will frustrate you at times and you will find yourself developing some ill feelings towards certain drivers and theyíre behavior. For me thatís Carlos Sainz, Sergio Perez, and Max Verstappen. I donít know if they are coded to be more aggressive than others, but I seem to have more issues with those three drivers than any other and I find that after ten races Iím warier of them than the rest of the field.

Are individual drivers coded to be more aggressive or reckless, I donít know? The point is that even if itís just a placebo, Iíve become immersed in the experience to the point that it feels like a real rivalry and the only thing missing is having words in the paddock. Iím looking at you Carlos!

Changing Weather conditions - This isnít something new to sim racing, but it is very well done and the transitions between a wet, damp, or a drying track are subtle, but realistic. There is a nice gradual change, even when racing at half distance and it doesnít seem like a switch is being flipped when going from wet to dry. As the track dryís, you can watch the racing line gradually forming and the grip levels change accordingly. Switch to intermediates or a wet compound too soon and youíll immediately know that you and your engineer have made a terrible mistake.

Voice Commands Ė This is also something that isnít exactly new to the sim racing community, but it is so well done that you will certainly miss it when driving a sim that doesnít have this capability.

Immersion - This is a very broad and non-specific subject, because it covers virtually every minute aspect of the career mode. You have component wear, R&D, individual practice objectives, qualifying/race goals, rivalries, etc. Combined, they all lead you down a path of immersion that is goal oriented in a way that makes you feel like youíre accomplishing something real. Youíre not just earning points or money to buy new cars, but youíre building a career, improving the team, and I get a sense that my actions will directly contribute to either my success or demise.

The frustration of blowing the start, the anger of getting forced wide by your rival, the emotional thrill of collapsing or rising to the occasion as the clock dwindles in qualifying. The thrill of finishing in the points, making it to Q3, or the agony of finishing in the points, but one spot behind your rival, all make for a very enjoyable experience.

Admittedly, I know Iím starting to sound like a CM advertising shill, but most of you know that Iím the antithesis of a CM fanboy. I have what can only be described as a dislike, hate relationship with CM developers, forum moderators, etc. However, I must call it like I see it and the Career Mode in F1 2017 is extremely well done and in my opinion, it is the benchmark for all future sim racing games to follow.
    davidan, TimCollier, jham and 1 others like this.

Val Hoggard is offline Senile Member in Disarray

I have all of CM F1 from 2010. I used to run ffb mods to get some feel for the track which as you guys know, has been a terrible programming disaster for CM up until 2017. 2017 was the year of awakening for CM. I agree with Troy that, compared to RRR, pitting in CM F1 is the pits... wouldn't it just scare the crap out of you to have to guide your car in through all the traffic (if any) and into your pit box without taking off a front wing or running over half your pitcrew?

Overall, 2017 is as good as it needs to be as far as racing and maintaining a good season strategy regarding engines, R&D, tyres, and setups. I am now enjoying it more than ever as I try to beat my rival, deal with my health issues (IRL), and enjoy the best ffb so far.
    jham and Troy Dalton like this.

Last Oct. I posted a best guess of what I thought the FOV sliders. My estimates were that the default was 70į with 2į increments. Then I stumbled upon this today.

I was annoyed about just having a Field of View slider with no actual number telling you what the current FOV was, I always had to eyeball it until it felt similar to other sims/games.

My correct FOV is 33vFOV or 55hFOV.

Anyway I found a Ego ERP Archiver software by Ryder25, and it lets you browse and the encrypted game files (.erp)

I found the camera files buried in the team packages, here's the default numbers for anyone interested.

Horizontal FOV:

Cockpit: 77
    T-cam: 82
    T-cam offset: 85
    Nose: 82
    Each increment on the slider counts for -2 or +2.

For instance @ Default 0.0 on the slider in Cockpit cam, it's 77hFOV, I needed 55hFOV so I went down 11 steps on the slider until it reaches -0.55 (coincidence that the numbers line up exactly the same as the slider number for me lol)

Hope this helps some people out who prefer correct 1:1 FOV with their setup, especially triples users.
    20180127150009_1
    Last edited by Troy Dalton; 02-15-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    jham likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345