Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: F1 2017 - Anyone getting it/Reviews?

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

Default F1 2017 - Anyone getting it/Reviews?

I must be a glutton for punishment, because I'm actually interested in this game. I know, what about my current disdain for all things F1 and my love/hate relationship with Codemasters? I can't explain it...really, I've never owned any of the Codemasters F1 series games, but for reasons that defy logic, I really want to check this one out.

However, there is no way in Hades I'm shelling out $60 for an unknown commodity. Even if I can get a refund.

My biggest questions are surrounding the controllers and multi-screen support. In the past the series/CM have provided less than adequate controller support and it's always been a deal killer. Also, CM has shown little interest in the way of providing proper multi-monitor support, which isn't exactly a deal killer, but it would give me pause.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing any thoughts.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

PC Gamer gave it an 88, which is a great score for them. They didn't focus much on the driving simulation, but more on the career and immersive aspects. One small blurb about better driving feel when using a wheel at the end, but it isn't clear if the reviewer used a wheel. F1 2017 review | PC Gamer

I am interested, but going to pass for now since Forza 7 is out in 4 weeks.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

I made the mistake of buying the 2010 version of the game and it sucked. I should have learned from the first one but noooo, I ponies up the cash for 2012 and it sucked just as much

Sent from my Cell using Tapatalk
    jham and WhiskeyChaser like this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

From what I hear 2015 was such a disaster they completely redid the game for 2016, to a lot of acclaim.

Not really sure it is this groups cup of tea still, but I have heard the title has been much improved. But CMSers hating simcades is as predictable as rain in Seattle, so I am probably wasting my breath lol

I found a good review...

I have no misconceptions about were this game falls within the sim vs arcade racing community, but for a long while now, I have been looking for a semi-casual offline career racing game that I don't have to devote a ton of time too. All I really want is some decent AI, multiple controller support, and passable physics. So far it checks all the boxes for me, but I'm really disappointed that you cannot turn off the wheel/hands and no multi-monitor support. Plus, $60 is pretty steep for a goof around game...not saying it's not worth $60 or that it's a crap game, I just don't want to spend a lot on something that I'm only going to play every so often.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

https://www.gamesdeal.com/f1-2017-sp...dition-pc.html

I paid $10 less from them, gotten a lot of GREAT games/OSs/etc. from that site. If you end up purchasing it from there, you shouldn't be disappointed

I bought it, had buyers remorse the instant I paid for it, but after three hours I love it!

It's been a very, very, long time since I owned a game that was exclusive to the F1 series. I think F1 Challenge '99-'02 is the most recent version and before that there were the Geoff Crammond series of games. I enjoyed them, but they are a far cry from F1 2017 and that's coming from a guy who loves to hate on codemasters. Granted, I didn't have great expectations and there was some minor frustration in getting the controllers setup. For instance, the ECCI clutch is recognized, but not on the starting grid, so after getting run over by the field because the car wouldn't move, I ended up having to map the clutch to a button and that solved the problem. It's those little things that always seem to plague CM games, but I've grown used to it.

Anyway. I've spent only three hours with the game and I feel like I've just scratched the surface. At face value, F1 2017 really feels like a complete product that has a lot of depth to it. I only bought this game because I was looking for a casual racing game, but there is definitely a lot to like for even the hard core sim racers. Is it Assetto Corsa, rF2, or iRacing...nope, but it's not trying to be either. Physics...what the hell do I know. It's an F1 car and there is no way in hell I could ever drive an F1 car fast enough to actually put it to the test. Regardless if it be real or sim.

However, it's slippy in the wet and gripping in the dry. Works for me.

One thing is for certain, the first hour was a bit frustrating, as CM products are never really intuitive to me, but once I found my footing, it really was a heck of a lot of fun. I did pay full price $60, but I have no qualms with that. I'm confident that I'm going to get plenty of entertainment from this game and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in F1.

Plus, it's great fun to crank down the AI difficulty and wipe that smug grin right off Hamilton's face!

I'll post some more detailed thoughts after I've logged about twenty hours, which shouldn't take very long.
    Last edited by Troy Dalton; 08-25-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling

I'm still enamored with the game and trust me, there is a lot to learn for someone who has not been an aficionado of the CM F1 series. After spending some time fiddling around with FOV, controller setup, and some general familiarization, I decided to start a career as the lowly second driver on Sauber F1 Team. No aids, half length race distances and a difficulty level of 60 is where I decided to being.

No it's not the "Pro" level of difficulty, but right now it's just more important to get familiar with how everything works and have some semblance of realism, without being overly difficult. Because everything is so new to me, like the built in voice communications, R&D, DRS, tire/fuel management, etc...it's hard to just concentrate on the racing aspect. My attention is constantly being diverted to learning/experiencing all the features of the game.

So far, after seven hours I've yet to run an actual race, but I have completed three practice sessions, performed some R&D, and finished qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix. So far, this is everything I hoped it would be and more.

So far, my only real complaint is the inability to pit on your own. I don't like that the game takes over and puts you in your pit stall and I think it does detract from the realism, but so be it.

The bottom line is it's really fun and that's the most important aspect as far as I'm concerned.

20170825202749_1

20170825195454_1

davidan is offline David Anderson

I bought it as well, the 2016 version was great and this one should be even better.
    Troy Dalton and michaenorth like this.

Back in the saddle again, after a little R&R in the Outer Banks. I'm still infatuated with this game and the more I drive it, the more I like it. This is the first game, in recent memory, that actually makes your practice sessions meaningful. Most games, practice is pretty much nothing more than a glorified hot lap session, where you spend every moment trying to eek out that extra tenth of a second. In F1 2017, there are optional objectives that earn you points towards improving your car in the R&D department. Plus, they are helpful in providing the team with track data that is used in constructing a custom race strategy that is tailored towards your specific driving style. Things like track awareness, fuel saving, tire management, qualifying testing, and team strategy (I think that is all of them) can be conducted in any of the practice sessions or you can also choose not to do them, but I'm not sure why you would.

Ultimately, when you get ready to select your race strategy, you are offered two default strategies and two custom strategies. For example, I can't save fuel for crap, but I'm apparently really easy on the tires. So, at Melbourne the team presented me with a custom one-stop strategy, starting with super soft's and then around the midway point, switching to Soft's. The default strategy would have had me run Soft's, then switch to Mediums. It's really cool to have that option and I'm confident that the custom strategy played a role in my success.

Another thing that I really like, is the ability to change the difficulty level in between races. I really had no idea what to start with and kind of guessed at a difficulty level of 60. Which seemed about right at first, but then I became more comfortable with the car, learned the track, adjusted the FFB and wheel settings, and practice, practice, practice. This resulted in enough pace to get me out of Q1 and I eventually ended up with the 13th position on the starting grid...in a Sauber! Despite an average start, the super soft's helped me claw my way up to tenth in the early going and after a few retirements, I miraculously finished in 7th! Not all that realistic, but it sure was fun and it's nice to be able to adjust the difficulty on the fly. I figure after a whole season, I should have it pretty well dialed in. However, I did find this over in the CM forums and it might help you find a good starting point to begin your career with.

Finding the right AI difficulty for the beginning of your Career.
    1)Head to Grand Prix mode and select Catalunya with short Qualifying.
    2)Choose the 2010 Red Bull RB6 and change the Class setting to Spec Racing.
    3)Do your Qualifying Session with the default setup.
    4)Keep running the Qualifying session at various AI difficulty levels. When your on par with the pole time, you have your level.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast