• 2 Post By torwith
  • 3 Post By Hoogs
  • 3 Post By TimCollier
  • 3 Post By torwith
  • 2 Post By enamelizer

Thread: "Star Wars Battlefront" age rating

torwith is offline Torbjørn Withbro

Default "Star Wars Battlefront" age rating

My son that is 9 years old wants a new PS4 game called Star Wars Battlefront with age rate 16 years. He has all the lego star wars and enjoy them. But this game I believe is a more "realistic" game. I googled it some and it seams that it aint a "bloody game". But maybe scary.

Should I buy this game to him? I am not sure.. What do you guys think?

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

I preordered this game and have played extensively. The game itself is violent (in that the victory condition is to kill more players on the enemy team than have died on your team), but it is not graphic in nature. Think back to old Star Wars movie battle scenes. When someone is hit, the laser leaves a black mark on the armor and the avatar falls. No blood, no gore, no real focus on the extremes of warfare. Although, I can't remember if there is any cursing in the game. Certainly not overbearingly so if there is any.

If you are there to guide him through the "why"s and the "what's that"s, I don't think it would be too graphic. Here is a video of some game play that might help you decide if the experience is ok for the padawan.

torwith likes this.

Phil E is online now CMS Admin-at-large

Really personal decision around your child-rearing beliefs and depends strongly on the kids maturity.

My kids at 9 were also into Legos games, but were not ready for a first-person type shooter even if it did not have the blood. They had friends that had such games (and worse!)

Instead, they played alot of driving sims (racing and trucks), flight sims, and Tycoon type management sims on PC along with alot of kid level games on console (mostly Nintendo stuff).
    torwith likes this.

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

This game is multiplayer only correct? The big issue for me is the chat and behavior that goes on in multiplayer games, especially popular shooters. Having played these sorts of games, I don't want my boy thinking the types of player behavior that goes on in them is acceptable. So for me it would depend entirely on how I could limit chat/voice interactions with other players.

Content is a bit trickier for me, while I don't really like my kids playing the shoot -> kill stuff, they really do understand that it is just a game, and you simply respawn instead of how death works in real life. I think my kids personally have a good grasp that it is just fantasy and has no bearing in reality. So I am personally OK with shooty games as long as there is no gore.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Really personal decision around your child-rearing beliefs and depends strongly on the kids maturity.

My kids at 9 were also into Legos games, but were not ready for a first-person type shooter even if it did not have the blood. They had friends that had such games (and worse!)

Instead, they played alot of driving sims (racing and trucks), flight sims, and Tycoon type management sims on PC along with alot of kid level games on console (mostly Nintendo stuff).
    Tried to convince kids on car games. But my rig cannot be used by "critters". T500 will brake their thumbs..The garage is my playpround They can play in the house..

Quote Originally Posted by enamelizer View Post
    This game is multiplayer only correct? The big issue for me is the chat and behavior that goes on in multiplayer games, especially popular shooters. Having played these sorts of games, I don't want my boy thinking the types of player behavior that goes on in them is acceptable. So for me it would depend entirely on how I could limit chat/voice interactions with other players.

Content is a bit trickier for me, while I don't really like my kids playing the shoot -> kill stuff, they really do understand that it is just a game, and you simply respawn instead of how death works in real life. I think my kids personally have a good grasp that it is just fantasy and has no bearing in reality. So I am personally OK with shooty games as long as there is no gore.
    From google it looks like a singleplayer mode also.. And on Ps4 they got no camera and microphone..

I think I willl get used copy from a gamers shop and play it after bedhours of the "critters" the first time. So I can check it out. PS4 controls is new to me so it will be a major task ahead.
    enamelizer and TwoFlatTires like this.

Hoogs is offline Christien Hoogveld

Im with Phil on this one. My kids play Nintendo games.

There's a story about a kid who begs his Dad to let him play violent video games. Thd kid say "Dad these games have only a little bit of violence and nudity...just a liiiiittle bit."

The Dad say "Okay, but only if you eat these cookies first. They have just a little bit of dog poop in them, but just a liiittle bit."

I think there's plenty of time for kids to grow up and eat all the poop cookies they want. Just not many years for them to remain innocent. I remember the struggle my father had with this same issue. I too was curiously drawn to violent video games like Mortal Kombat. Now that Im an adult I have no stomach for the bloody movies and games (which never use to phase me)
    Phil E, Greg Haley and torwith like this.

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

This add-on that's coming next month looks awesome!

Z_Stig, torwith and TwoFlatTires like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    This add-on that's coming next month looks awesome!

I tested this game last night on the PS4.. First time playing Playstation since PS1. Damn that joystick on the PS4 is strange. Flying was strange on console. PC is must better when controlling a game. Anyway the graphics of the Star wars game was so nice (used to Richard Burns). After playing 4 hours i think i am not giving it to my son. Its to violent. Maybe daddy plays it late night hours instead LOL since it was ok entertainment. Wife looked at game also and sayed i am grown up now and to old for youth games and should walk the dog instead. 3 persons in a week that says that i am old for games (two kids and a wife.) Only 35+ '

Thanks for thoughts around this game..

Tim it looks nice that add on.Death star . Hope I dont get the Star wars sickness now.. Its not my PS4 but my sons machine.. He will be angry if he hear lazersword all night the following weeks..

May the force be with me. I feel at home in the dark cape with red lazersword.. "Dark daddy"

By the way I smuggled in a new GTX 1070 card yesterday.. Wife did not see it luckily had a GTX1080 first but it was way to "overkill" so i swopped it to a 1070. I only plays FullHD on projector so no need for such wild card.. 1070 is still a OK card that runs good.
    Last edited by torwith; 08-19-2016 at 12:53 AM.
    TimCollier, Phil E and enamelizer like this.

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

My response to "games are for kids" as avid video game player going on 40 would: "Game play has always been associated with intelligence and creativity, something never associated with television and movie watching. So how is that new Netflix series you have been talking about?"

In all seriousness, I live in an area where tech is big business and we have many age 21+ (our drinking age) video game and pinball arcades, so it is seen as a very normal hobby for people our age around here.

Grats on the 1070, I think you are right that it is a better match for your needs for a 1080p / 60Hz projector. The 1070 is still a beast of a card.
    torwith and TwoFlatTires like this.