• 1 Post By TimCollier
  • 3 Post By enamelizer
  • 1 Post By enamelizer
  • 1 Post By TimCollier
  • 2 Post By enamelizer

Thread: Rogue System on sale on Steam!

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Rogue System on sale on Steam!

For those that were insterested in this space simulation, it's currently on sale for $8.99

Rogue System's goal is to depict the possibilities of space exploration and combat within a realistic environment--choosing not to ignore the "science" in science-fiction. Key features do/will include proper orbital mechanics for all objects in space; detailed ship system control, functionality, inter-dependency and damage reaction; and the ability to move freely from one ship to another, EVA, and effect repairs while in flight.

Rogue Systemís Core Module (CM) will be a complete campaign-driven sim on its own. It utilizes both dynamic as well as scripted missions to allow for greater replay-ability while telling an intriguing story.

Finally, Rogue System is fully moddable, allowing both DCI as well as the simís community to add new ships, missions, and even campaigns.

Later, Extension Modules (EM) will add even more gameplay.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

enamelizer is offline Aaron DeMarre

Looks interesting, sort of like a flight sim for space ships?

Yes, space combat and exploration, very intricate systems model for the ship where you will need to know procedures and so forth. But it's really interesting to sim racers as it's being developed by Scott Juliano who works for ISI and was the creator of several rFactor tracks, and this game is being published under ISI's name.

It's still in Alpha, but a lot of people are really posting great things about it....but for $9, I'll follow and support this product.

To get a better idea of what it's like at this point, there's an article written about it here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...s/#more-391757
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    Tim Collier

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz | Oculus Rift CV1

Played thru all of the tutorial missions last night, this game is intense. Seriously impressed by the simulation of the ship and orbital mechanics. And very thankful for the AP, no I don't want to calculate planetary transfers by hand.

Going to be one of those early access games that I actively suppress the amount of time I play it right now, so I don't burn out on it before the bulk of the content is added. Really impressed by it so far.
    TimCollier, Hoogs and TwoFlatTires like this.

So proud of myself, not only was I able to cold start my ship by memory without a checklist, but I also was able to rescue myself from certain doom.

So my goal was to start cold, undock, transfer bodies, rendezvous and dock with another station. Everything went well with the start up and undock and I proceeded to set the xfer panel up and enable AP. With AP enabled but SP throttle control disabled, AP was pointing my ship in a direction that confused me. So I fiddled around a bit before deciding my setting were correct and "AP knows best". I flip on AP throttle and the burn starts, over an hour for a constant G burn (yay EM drives!). I am still worried about my attitude pointed into the edge of the moon, so I sit tight for a bit to make sure my trajectory isn't going to bring me into the atmosphere of the moon. Sure enough my periapsis is dropping like a rock and I start to sweat. I ride it out (AP knows best?) and I finally clear the moon at 230km alt, too close for my comfort, but probably still plenty of room to spare regardless. Since I have an hour, I go into suspended animation for the burn.

I am woken from suspended animation when the burn is complete and start to wait for deceleration. The AP never starts reverse thrust, which I find odd, but I get impatient and go back into SAN assuming the decel burn will start while I am asleep. I am never woken from SAN from a navigation event. Uh-oh. When SAN wakes me I look at the nav panel and see I am near the outermost moon, well on my way to escaping the planets orbit. CRAP AP DOES NOT KNOW BEST!

So now I am totally confused and cannot figure out where I went wrong and thought that maybe I was in a retrograde orbit around the starting moon and this messed up the AP somehow. So I cancel the flight plan and decide to reprogram the AP. Settings confirmed, plan committed, burn commencing. Back to sleep in SAN.

Again, SAN sleeps all the way without being interrupted. Check nav again, this time I am on an escape trajectory from the entire solar system. DOUBLE CRAP, AP YOU FAILED ME!

Now I am not sure what to do and for a second I hover over "return to main menu" to scrap the entire mission. But where is the fun in that? So I return to the game and start thinking of my options. Since I no longer trust my AP I decide to burn retrograde and see if I can at least decrease my speed below escape velocity. I start scanning the AP panel to see if there is a "retrograde hold" option, and then I see it. I have the AP set to "Prograde Orbit" instead of "Prograde Orbit INTERCEPT".

I slap my forehead, reprogram the AP, select the correct AP mode and bang, my ship is facing the correct direction! A massive burn later (thanks again EM drives), and three SAN cycles and I am safely in orbit around my target planet, saved from dying cold and alone in deep space.
    TimCollier likes this.

Just love hearing stories like this!! Thanks Aaron...I really haven't gotten into it yet but reading this makes me want to break out the joystick!

Wait....are you using a stick? Do I have to use a stick?
    TwoFlatTires likes this.
    Tim Collier

Quote Originally Posted by TimCollier View Post
    Just love hearing stories like this!! Thanks Aaron...I really haven't gotten into it yet but reading this makes me want to break out the joystick!

Wait....are you using a stick? Do I have to use a stick?
    I use an xbox one controller because with the gamepad I can have analog controls for pitch, yaw, roll and up/down/left/right translations, then I put forward/aft translation on buttons. Translation control is really key for docking, so I like having the second analog stick for it.

I don't think you really need a stick tho, at least not until combat is implemented. With Kerbal Space Program I used keyboard controls for a long time without issue, and the controls in Rogue System are a lot closer to KSP than a flight sim.
    TimCollier and TwoFlatTires like this.

Thanks Aaron....didn't even consider a gamepad!
    Tim Collier