• 2 Post By faspit

Thread: Zandvoort (Eagles) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Zandvoort (Eagles) Post Race Data and Discussion

Official Results

Replay

General Point Standings

Seniors Points Standings

Race 5 of the 1966 Gurney Eagles Tribute Series took place at Zandvoort Raceway in the Netherlands on November 14, 2017.
    Sitting in a very close second place in overall championship points, fast man Al Canal took the pole and was off to a rocket start!

The top 4 drivers ran very close for the initial laps, and other tight racing throughout the small 11 man field.

Series points leader Joe Miller would chase Canal in the initial laps. Whited was also on the hunt and hoping to catch Canal.

Eventually, Miller would fall off pace just slightly, while Al Canal made sure he keep a steady lead on Whited. The split seen here between the two cars was the gap most of the race.

Seniors Points leader Ed Jones would again find himself in the top Seniors position on this day at Zandvoort Raceway.

And, Al Canal bringing his Eagle home after taking the checkered flag in the top spot. This is his second win of the series.
    Last edited by Jason Whited; 11-15-2017 at 07:29 PM.

aaron page is offline Established Member

I'm surprised there are so few posts after this race. The track is one that makes it easy to spin with this mod, kind of scary, but surely a fun place to run.

I had a grand total of 13 practice laps, plus one to know where my pit box was, as I was expecting to need it. So I didn't q, not feeling comfortable with my approach to turn one. Got a decent start, but backed off so that I didn't take out a bunch of guys in t1 l1, but stayed close to the field. Still on lap one, I had to avoid synchronous spins in front of me, and missed Don (I think it was) by a coat or two of paint. I managed to run the rest of the race without an off, a bit slow, perhaps, but not needing the pit scouting that was done during practice. Had some fun trying to stay ahead of Gilles for a few laps, not blocking but not making the pass easy, either, and kudos to him for finding the right spot and timing to make it clean (after that, he was long gone). And even though I didn't have any offs, near the end of the race I was lapped by the guy I needed to beat -- Ed-- who must have been running some great laps (congrats on the championship, Ed, which is yours if you show up for the next race!).

Even though I've been mired in the back for the whole season, I've really enjoyed running this mod with you guys. The courtesies and skills shown for us slower guys always brings me back for yet another try. (watch out, I may get it right next race -- grin).
    ap

don fleming is offline Junior Member

Back to sim racing for me now that gloomy dark days returning to Pac NW. Glad I chose this event and should show again for next. These GP67 like cars quite fun to drive on the edge and after my lack of sim racing since last winter made me glad I could keep pace somehat with guys in back after just minimal practice. I lasted about 1/3 of event before an off and then did have to join in for dinner here at home, but had my fun thru prac, qual, and some racing at least. Thanks Jason for a base setup, I have no clue with this mod, likely helped. Agree this track a goody, recall when F1 ran it in 70's and is magical to think of those days while sim racing at it. Thx for hosting and for the above pics
    Don

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Good fun, pushing through quali trying to up my best and compete with Al for the pole. I'll generally already know about what I'm going to do in quali, then I'll lay it down and sit the rest. I usually don't push until the end trying to best my time unless I've had issues, but it felt like I could get to where Al was and though I didn't, it was a blast trying. Can really only push these cars so much before you go over the edge and have to back it off. What feels "fast" is usually slower and what feels slow (long gears, slow entrance/fast exit, etc) is generally faster, for me at least.

Green flag and I got one of the worst starts of this series (besides my Monaco start, where I nearly took out Mark Carty :O )
    I bogged, started picking at the clutch trying to find a match...didn't work, I got up to speed like an old tractor. Had to pull to the left edge of the track, knowing those behind me were coming faster than I could go.
    Fell back to P4 immediately, with P5 initially chomping on my heels. After a couple laps, regained P3 from Brette and set after Joe and Al before they gained so much I couldn't. Had a good little ride with Joe for a few laps, managed to get by him, then going into T1 I think he missed the braking point a bit and had to jam up. After that, little by little I increased the gap and he fell off after some troubles (I think)....so, for me, only thing in my sights was the little black dot constantly at the far end of my field of vision.

Al kept about a 3-5 second gap on me much of the race. At times, I'd decrease it a bit....then, like magic it would increase again as I assume Al was being cautious and not overdriving it, hence me "catching up"....then putting the pedal down as he'd realize I was closing the gap.
    Doubt it would have mattered anyways. It's one thing to catch a faster car, a whole 'nother ball game to pass said faster car. Without a mistake, I doubt I'd have been able to do it either way.

But, it was a lot of fun and I feel like I pressed the entire race. Arms were wore out after that (note to self, turn down ffb strength on these beasts just slightly...hehe)
    ...good fun, and happy to come away with a P2 given the competition up front.
    Though we've had small grids, I've really enjoyed this series and I'm going to miss these cars. This Eagle is one of those cars I've "bonded" with, so being without her is going to feel a bit strange for a time. But, we've still got Interlagos to tackle And that should be a blast as well!

Grats to Al on the win and all finishers. Respect to those that stuck it out and finished the race (sometimes it takes more effort to do that than it does run up front, truth be told)...and thanks, as always, to our core group who never misses events.
    See you guys at the tracks.

Ed Jones is offline Member

Thanks Aaron, but it's not over yet. You still have a good shot at winning, especially if a couple more seniors show up for the finale.

I finally feel more comfortable in these cars. I remember at Kyalami I felt like I was holding on for dear life. I never thought I'd get used to them, but I actually was pretty steady and was able to push the car a lot more at Zandvoort. When I saw it on the schedule I thought it was going to be a tough track but I ended up really enjoying the race. I had a good start for a change and gained a position. Then when Gilles and Brette had miscues I briefly sniffed the rarefied air of 4th place before Brette got back by me. Fun race even though I pretty much raced by myself from there. Looking forward to Interlagos...I think.

Congratulations to Big Al and Jason and Joe!

faspit is offline Frank Speer

Sorry guys, I was sick all day, started feeling pretty good after Jason offered me his setup, it felt good and I started feeling comfortable. We Q'ed and I still felt just OK at that point but the second we got on grid for the race I got one of my dizzy spells, I just got the heck out of the way, got righted but no sense or feel of anything so I bailed. looks like a lot of good racing out there.