• 5 Post By Jason Whited
  • 2 Post By Marc Cohn

Thread: Zandvoort (DRMs) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Zandvoort (DRMs) Post Race Data and Discussion

Official Results

Replay

General Standings

The fifth race of the DRM Revival Series took place at Zandvoort Raceway on Tuesday, November 7, 2017.
    Pole man, Joe Miller, led the pack to the green flag signal and intense battles in both divisions started almost immediately.

A cautious but aggressive field starts to sort itself. Nice job on the clean running early on, everyone!

Brooks and Uyan battled much of the race. Here is just one of those many moments.

After leading for much of the early part of the race, a few minor mistakes and this huge mistake caught up with series points leader, Josh Crane as he pursued Whited for the Div II lead. Yikes!

Eventual Div II winner, Darien Bailey and the moment he took the lead from Jason Whited after a bit of brake fade (and brain fade) found him in the sand. [Dang it!]

Division I winner, Joe Miller, as he rounds the circuit and adds another W to his record. Quite the feat after the initial ffb problems Miller had to overcome.
    Last edited by Joe Miller; 11-08-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

Very fun track.
    Everything was going well until I entered the grid to start the race and my force feed back was gone. So I jumped back in the garage real quick, unpluged and repluged my wheel. When I re-enterered the grid there was only a few seconds before the start of the race. I had force feed back but it didn't feel right. It was a huge distraction. It was a good thing that we were doing a formation lap, because it took me that long to recover from the distaction and get my pit stategy strait.
    When we finally started the race I could really tell my wheel wasn't right. It was like I had no power steering. The forces were too strong. I managed to relearn how to drive the car fairly quickly and the rest is history.
    Great track and great drivers to race against. It doesn't get any better than that.

faspit is offline Frank Speer

This is a very fast, exiting track, perfect for these cars. Jason sent me a setup last week that just fit me like a glove, I practiced about 12 hours with this car, setup and track because my finger sticks out kind of funny, the one that had the stitches in. Well everything felt good, figured out how to steer and shift with the finger but, I took the stitches out in the morning and didn't think that the finger would start thinking and moving around on it's own, lol. We started the race and the second lap my finger hooked the wheel base causing my first spin, then a few laps later it did it again but this time I hurt someone else's race, Finally another spin after my pit stop and I figured safer for everyone else if I stopped so i did. Sorry to Marc who I spun and blocked the whole track in front of. That is why I stopped, don not like being the reason someone else has a bad race or hurt someones fun.
    Great cars, great racers and a great league, thanks for all the extra effort by those who organize this fun time for us.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Still can't believe I threw away a Div II win.

Heck of a race that ended with a ton of excitement. ...fitting, a roller coaster ride of emotions while on a roller coaster ride of a circuit.

Long fought battle with Josh, but I had eventually come out on top after the roll over (pictured in the OP) he had.
    Found myself with an 11 second or so lead over the other Div II cars with about 15 minutes to go and after everyone shuffled through the pits.
    Started watching the fuel gauge after some time....was really just trying not to lose focus (bad habit of it when I get alone on track after battles...endorphin rush, the aftermath; the come down < my excuses )

....realizing I was a bit lite on fuel, I started being easier on the car. My 11-12 second lead started to disappear pretty quickly, so it was on and off with that (car was set up to pretty much run on the redline at all times and not doing so really bogged it down the way I had it geared)
    About 10 minutes to go (IIRC) I'm thinking, "don't lose focus and don't hotlap this puppy either, just keep it cool and........" *runs off into the sand trap after overshooting sharp right hander

grrrr....

If one was to say that I ran the last laps of the race "seeing red" (only myself to blame, so even worse really..lol) that one may or may not be correct in that statement
    I was a bit angry with self...but carried on.

Darien went by me as I was getting back on course (in a hurry, which really meant slower than ever)......I plowed through the next sector trying to make sure I didn't lose him, and I succeeded in that. Quickly realized a simple give my spot back overtake wasn't happening.

I over drove just about every corner for the next 2 minutes...lol. Surprised I didn't bite the dust, but managed to wrestle the car around enough to stand a chance (and still, P2, so not so bad)....
    ....and then, just as I was thinking about what I could set up to actually get by Darien on that final lap...........................I ran out of fuel.

Chasing Darien, I completely let it slip my mind that I was attempting to CONSERVE FUEL.
    I am 90% sure that had I not pushed as hard as I did after the stupid mistake, I would have crossed the finish line (albeit it with very small fuel margin...but still, enough)

What a roller coaster ride. From, "in my hands" first DRM Div II victory to DNF in a matter of a what seemed like no time. Wow.
    Hell of a job, Darien. Kept me on my toes and kept on coming. The pressure of feeling like I needed to put down great laps, coupled with the fuel issue obviously shook me.....I really need to focus more on my stops and all that surrounds them, and do a better job with calculating/etc on track under race conditions. It's killing me in this series.

Grats to Joe as well...and all podiums and finishers. Great racing that has been great all series long. I've definitely bonded more with this particular Lancia and have constantly been surprised by the intensity of the racing.

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by faspit View Post
    This is a very fast, exiting track, perfect for these cars. Jason sent me a setup last week that just fit me like a glove, I practiced about 12 hours with this car, setup and track because my finger sticks out kind of funny, the one that had the stitches in. Well everything felt good, figured out how to steer and shift with the finger but, I took the stitches out in the morning and didn't think that the finger would start thinking and moving around on it's own, lol. We started the race and the second lap my finger hooked the wheel base causing my first spin, then a few laps later it did it again but this time I hurt someone else's race, Finally another spin after my pit stop and I figured safer for everyone else if I stopped so i did. Sorry to Marc who I spun and blocked the whole track in front of. That is why I stopped, don not like being the reason someone else has a bad race or hurt someones fun.
    Great cars, great racers and a great league, thanks for all the extra effort by those who organize this fun time for us.
    Frank, no hard feelings at all, I take half the blame for not slowing down enough to try and get by you and attempting to shoot a gap that ultimately wasn't there. I understand the guilt that might come from potentially ruining someone else's race, however, I'd highly recommend against stopping as through experience with both doing and not doing so, the latter option of continuing to race in the event is ultimately the better solution.

As far as how my race went, I unfortunately was off the pace from where I wanted to be, however, I could have used some extra practice. Thanks to some qualifying setup changes that worked, I was able to start third. While I thought I might have had a top-2 qualifying time had I hit my marks just perfectly, unfortunately my race pace was so far off that I would have been a rolling roadblock to Joe, Jon, and Brette.

I had nothing for Jon at the start and then was focused on trying to keep Josh's rocket-propelled BMW behind me until I got a gap before following Joe's pit stop strategy (thanks again for the setup, Joe!). After the stop, I was following Frank, saw him get sideways, tried to shoot the gap and unfortunately got into him. I thought my car was done due to front-end aero damage after that but within 5-10 laps, I was able to closely match my lap times earlier in the race. My next goal was to try and catch up to Darien of whom I really got close to, however, after Jason got off track and the two became closely matched, I backed off because I would have gained nothing being 4th in Division 1 and they were in a battle for the Division 2 win. Congrats again to Joe and Darien on their wins as well as Brette coming all the way from last to 2nd - VERY impressive. Hope to see you all at the next DRM event!