Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: VIR (Porsche IROC - AMS) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion.

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

That was another really fun race, with these cars, on a great track! The start was very intense, but it soon settled down, and became a mano a mano battle with Jerry. It was just he and I for 10+ laps, matching lap times. You would have thought we had the exact same set, as evenly matched as we both were. Jerry was nice enough to offer me a set (thanks), during early practice, but I had already prepped one of my own, which worked great. I was finally ready for a drag race, down the back straight, but turned the juice up too soon, and spun into the weeds, and Jerry got away. Did have some more excitement towards the end with the tires going away, but was able to hold on, to a top 10 position.
    Grats to all who finished on a tough track, and see you all in Spain!
    Jon Uyan, Tom, aaron page and 2 others like this.

-See You On Track!

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

Wow, what an event! First race back here and we have VIR, a track that I had an immense amount of difficulty with previously in iRacing. The night before the event, Joe was kind enough to help get me back to speed by lending one of his always superb setups. However, while I felt I had decent pace, I was struggling to keep the car on the track which I feel was more than likely due to overdriving.

During race practice, I was able to gain more consistency by calming down my inputs some and focusing on not only trying to get decent lap times, but making sure I kept the car on the track. That being said, due to my previous absence from the series, I felt it would be smartest to save energy for the race and give myself less pressure by purposely starting at the back.

At the start, I gained more positions than I would have expected although I had to temper myself from trying to make ill-advised passes towards the esses (sorry Jerry and Tom). As the race went on, I felt I could get at least up to 6th place if not 5th, but got raced very hard by Gilles despite insisting his tires were worn and 'square' ( ). After I felt that he gave me absolutely no room when I thought that I had my car on the inside of Turn 1, I ended up making the ill-advised move of repaying the favor in a later corner when I was on the outside. This unfortunately led to the two of us making contact (albeit not intentional). Because this unnecessary incident was my fault, I felt it best to follow the Gentlemen's rule by waiting for him to rejoin. I always feel it is best to own up to any mistakes I make out there and will take full responsibility if the admins deem this incident to be worthy of a NQ/NQDT.

Nonetheless, I was fortunate enough to end up in 6th place although this ordeal lost both of us the chance for 5th place. It was fun watching Gilles absolutely overdrive his car like mad trying to pass me back, but in the end, I was thrilled to be able to gain 13 spots despite not being sure I'd be able to keep it on the road the whole race.

Big congrats to Angelo and all of the top finishers that decimated the rest of the field and of course thanks to the admins for everything they do for this superb league.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

(At the start, I gained more positions than I would have expected although I had to temper myself from trying to make ill-advised passes towards the esses (sorry Jerry and Tom). )

If you're referring to Tom N, as opposed to Tom M, you can be sure nothing you did had anything to do with anything I might have messed up. My (normal) mindset is that even when it's for position, if someone who is considerably faster than me has had a problem and is behind me I'm not going to contest the position with them when they catch back up.....I'll race those who have about the same pace as me as hard as I can.

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Soucy View Post
    sorry Joe for the bump going into the hump into Oak Tree (captured perfectly by Jason above).
    No problem. It was more my fault than it was yours. Thanks for the great racing. You were too fast for me.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Cohn View Post
    At the start, I gained more positions than I would have expected although I had to temper myself from trying to make ill-advised passes towards the esses (sorry Jerry and Tom).
    Marc,
    I didn't think it was the greatest place to pass but you did it cleanly. Nice driving.
    Marc Cohn likes this.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12