Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Stormin' Norman's MNRL presents, Season 5!

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Stormin' Norman's MNRL presents, Season 5!

MNRL is proud to announce the details of our 5th season here at CMS!

12 weeks...

Two series running concurrently...

DRM Revival Series starts September 5, 2017

Zolder
    Hockenheim
    Norisring
    Salzburgring
    Zandvoort
    Nurburgring (Sprint)

1966 Gurney Eagle Tribute Series starts September 12th, 2017.

Kyalami
    Silverstone
    Monaco
    Nordschleife
    Zandvoort
    Interlagos

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

Attention all interested drivers!

There will be an "official" practice and race session for the Gurney Eagles on August 29th at Watkins Glen. "Official" race session will begin at regular race start time. Everyone is encouraged to join so that we all get some valuable track time in before the season's start.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

The DRM Revival Series schedule is as follows:

September 5 - Zolder
    September 19 - Hockenheim
    October 3 - Norisring
    October 17 - Salzburgring
    November 7 - Zandvoort
    November 28 - Nurburgring (Sprint)

Download DRM mod here.

Relevant Track downloads for DRM series:

Zolder
    Hockenheimring_2012_SRS
    Norisring
    Salzburgring
    Zandvoort
    Nurburgring (Sprint)

The 1966 Gurney Eagle Tribute Series schedule is as follows:

August 29 - (Official Practice Race) Watkins Glen
    September 12 - Kyalami
    September 26- Silverstone
    October 10 - Monaco
    October 24 - Nordschleife
    November 14 - Zandvoort
    December 5 - Interlagos

Download Gurney Eagle mod here
    Download the Gurney Eagle Skin Pack here

Relevant track downloads for Gurney Eagles Tribute Series
    Watkins Glen ,Kyalami, Silverstone, Monaco, Zandvoort, Interlagos
    Nordschleife
    *Watkins Glen, Kyalami, Silverstone, Monaco, Zandvoort, and Interlagos are part of the GP79 track pack. If you already have this track pack installed please delete and install this new on. It has been updated and your old GP79 tracks won't work. Current version is 2.6.

Drivers interested in registering for these series, please visit the car selection threads.
    DRM Car Selection Thread.

Gurney Eagle Car Selection Thread.
    *Parts of the Gurney Eagle thread are time sensitive. Drivers who choose make their choices before Sunday, September 3rd, will be able to customize paint scheme as well as number and a few other things. Further details and instructions in Eagle car selection thread.

All drivers are welcome, however, if you are new to MNRL note that MNRL follows CMS guidelines for rules and conduct, and also we have a few guidelines that might be MNRL specific as well.
    To get up to speed on these guidelines and all MNRL procedure, please review the following threads here at CMS:

CMS League Wide Guidelines

MNRL Rules and Guidelines Explained

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE CHIEF STEWARD:

As usual, the lift/blip is in effect. Repetitive speedshifting
    will result in motor damage and failure.
    Lift/blip video

New Drivers:
    The sim we are using is rFactor 1.
    Look for the pre-race announcement in the MNRL forums for more details on each race in the series and how to connect to the server.
    If you are 55 or older feel free to sign up for the Seniors Championship(s), also in the MNRL forums.
    Last edited by Joe Miller; 09-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!! Porsche 935 HERE I COME! As far as the Eagle, if all of you don't mind and someone doesn't mind helping make this happen, I'd love having the #32 as a tribute scheme to the late James Garner from Grand Prix in 1966 3d468fd3d76a2fe8370ee92db35bdfcd.jpg

Jason Whited, faspit and Ed Jones like this.

We are giving the opportunity to customize the Eagles, as noted.
    Thread will be up in a few hours, so you'll need to announce your selections per the instructions in that thread to get the scheme you want.
    We have painters at the ready to make this happen (thanks to Brette and Joe for that hard work!) and after everyone has chosen their paint scheme/number/etc and that job is finished, we will release a skin pack that everyone can add to their files.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Scott Beck is online now Rothmans Racing

I'm gonna download and install everything for season 5 so I'll be ready to go once I'm all setup and back online in our new place. Can't wait to get back to racing with you guys.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR
    www.rothmans-racing.com

Chuck Napoli is offline Established Member

If I race this series I will wait till last minute and pick through whatever car numbers are left. I have had bad experiences in both of these mods back at R2P, especially the Gurney Eagle. I remember that the engine in the Gurney Eagle was so fragile that several of us kept blowing the engines in them. And a couple of these tracks (Norisring, Nordschleife and Monaco) are tracks I don't race on. I hope to enter in a couple of these races though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Napoli View Post
    If I race this series I will wait till last minute and pick through whatever car numbers are left. I have had bad experiences in both of these mods back at R2P, especially the Gurney Eagle. I remember that the engine in the Gurney Eagle was so fragile that several of us kept blowing the engines in them. And a couple of these tracks (Norisring, Nordschleife and Monaco) are tracks I don't race on. I hope to enter in a couple of these races though.

I've extensively tested these cars. Hours and hours on a variety of tracks (damage multiplier set to 100%..double the server setting but allows for better representation of the damage)...I've not had a problem blowing engines. If you over rev in neutral, or downshift too hard, it's going to effect the engine. Just have to be aware of that and train the brain not to do it, even if that requires being a bit slower. A bit slower is better than dead in the water with a blown engine.

Nordschleife is a love or hate (or both) thing for most. Many love it though and it always provides good racing.
    Tracks that this car would have been seen on (albeit some of them on more modern versions of the tracks) were what we had in mind during the selection process.

Monaco...yes, a real challenge. I think it will be interesting to see how it goes, and I think it will go well. At Monaco, patience will be absolutely necessary. And, quali will be important, so something a bit different for some to work out. Like I say, it was specifically chosen because it's a pain in the rear track.

The middle/later scheduling of those tougher tracks is no accident. Kyalami and Silverstone will be excellent tracks for everyone to come to grips with the cars. Also, we have the Watkins Glen practice race this coming week....which is also a track that is really fun in these cars, and somewhat "forgiving" in that it is "grippy" and there's a ton of room for various speed in the corner (most of them)...

Even if you don't join the specific races you mention Chuck, I do hope you join us for the one's I did. Perhaps you'll come to enjoy the cars more and not have as many issues this time around.

I cannot speak as much on the DRMs...there are time tested, but I personally don't have a ton of seat time in them. For me, it will also be a new(ish) experience, especially running an entire series with them. I do look forward to it though We're all in the same boat (well, except our super fast crew up front...they're on another frikkin' planet and will surely acclimate with ease..lol)

I am sure that during practice we'll all work the kinks out together and find a rhythm, this crew never lets down in that regard.
    We conquered those Cobras/Vettes, this will be cake.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Established Member

A few things here:

First, for the drivers that might have problems with Lift&Blip, in the Upgrades, you can choose "Semi Auto". There's is a small cost in time, as in slow shifts, but it is available and might save some of you. Test both!

Second, comeback often to this thread, there might be little updates to the mods.

Third, in the GPC79Tracks pack, there is a file named road_s.rar. It's a smaller sized... less detailed, darker road surface. I you experience stutters while on those tracks, unrar that file right where it is, rFactor will use it in place of the bigger file enabling older hardware to run a bit better.
    (the GDB track paths includes \GameData\Locations\GPC79tracks)

Fourth, that track pack is version 2.6, there are many updates (11 tracks out of the 15). If you already have an earlier version installed, like v2.1, previously used here and at R2P, I would suggest to not overwrite but to delete your previous GPC79tracks folder.
    Example: In the 02_Interlagos folder, the v2.1 Interlagos79.mas isn't used anymore. It's like installing a whole new track. Both MAS file are now named GPCInterlagos. Roughly the same for 03_Kyalami, 10_Hockenheim, 11_Osterreichring and 12_Zandvoort.
    If you just overwrite, that folder is gonna get quite big. Before deleting though, inspect the folders one by one and look for personal files you might have in there... notes, modded files, track pics, etc..

The only real issue is some of those tracks have a new Settings folder... Really?
    Since it's in the GDB, we can't edit those (mismatch).

These are the tracks with new Settings folders:
    Code:

______v2.1______<=>______v2.6_______
    79GPCBuenosAires = GPCBuenosAires
     79GPCInterlagos = GPCInterlagos
        79GPCkyalami = Kyalami79
        Hockenheim79 = 79GPCHockenheim
     CanIkillsomeone = Justonetrackcoder
      79GPCZandvoort = GPCZandvoort
          79GPCMonza = Monza79
    So if you had setups in those before, after installing the pack, it's easier to just create the new folders one by one and then transfer your setups than loading all these track in rFactor so it creates the folders. After transfer, delete the old folders.
    (To easily create the new folders, copy/paste the names from the v2.6 column... omitting the dead coder...)

Fifth, for Salzburgring2009, the way it's put together, the base scenery is a big graphic file. In the original Salzburgring install, either from the "Com8" or from the R2P archive, there was a small additional "topo.dds" file that was included. Your older hardware might prefer that smaller graphic. You might want to keep it.

Seems like all...
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 08-25-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Marc Cohn likes this.
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 20gigs on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running an Asus 560GTX (1gig) on an new AOC Q2963 screen... I'm doing way better! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

Added a little note about the GP79 track pack, Gilles.
    Thanks for the mention, I let it slip my mind while creating this thread.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Jon Uyan is online now Senior Community Leader

I posted this thread at SimHQ Motorsports site couple of days ago. I also think we should advertise MNRL championships more aggressively in social media.

With it's drivers, admins, modders and CMS' serious racing atmosphere, one can argue that MNRL is the best rF1 league chapter in the world right now.
    jham, HeatCAN, Scott Beck and 5 others like this.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

Got a question that maybe one of you could answer for me if you don't mind. How big was an F1 steering wheel around 1967 (or the Eagle's in particular)? I want to say between 320-350mm but I figure one of you would know better than I do. If it is around 350mm, that means I get to use the same rim for both the Eagle and the 935

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)