Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Salzburgring (DRMs) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Salzburgring (DRMs) Post Race Data and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 11-07-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

B****r. Finally back to an MNRL race and I CTD 1/2 way through. Simply out of the blue and no apparent reason. Was having a great race with Ed Jones (he had just passed me after I made a mess of the last few turns) when it happened. Hope this isn't the start of something....

Congrats to everyone who finished - small crowd but it sounded like some fine racing.
    Marc Cohn, aaron page and Ed Jones like this.
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

I unfortunately was lacking in practice time due to the events of the recent North Bay fires so all my practice for the event was about 2 hours prior. Thanks to the help of Brette and Joe, I miraculously was able to get up to an extremely competitive pace (albeit in qualifying trim) on a track I had never run at before which I was hoping would translate into a high qualifying spot. Unfortunately, this was a bit too much to expect for so little practice, hence I ended up starting 5th.

Out of the starting gate, I knew I'd have about a 4th place car unless a miracle happened. The first half consisted of me doing everything I could to try and pass my good ol' clean racing sparring partner Mark Carty until I ended up managing a pass on the outside of the main straightaway going into the right hander. Unfortunately, I almost blew both of our races when I tried to pull a fast one by pitting without signaling which meant that I got rear-ended and and led to the two of us having damage. In my case it was about 4 mph lost due to deformed aero.

One lap later, I ended up pitting without any repairs to try and salvage as much time as possible. Little would I know that Mark would get out of the pits less than half a second ahead of me. A few laps later, I was able to repeat a similar move (who knew that lightning would strike twice?) and then was too busy trying to hold him off to see that somehow Jon had to pit 3 times. WHAT?!?!? This ended up with me in third place but Mark was still on my tail right up to the flag in an intense battle that reminded me just how fun a hard, clean battle can be. The racing was so tense (and I'm sure the 2+ hours of practice beforehand contributed) that my left ankle was sore from all the heel-toe shifts by the time the checkered flag fell.

I'd like to wish a big congrats to Brette on a superb win and can't wait for the next one. Heel toeing at the Nordschleife? OH BOY!

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

This is how I lost the lead.

Josh Crane is offline Junior Member

Wow I like that video. I certainly went for a ride. A tough way to go, but avoiding accidents is one of the things I like about racing. I thought the Porsche would hold the brakes and stay in the mid or high groove, but this was not the case lol. A great race indeed.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

WOW... what an intense race in the DRMs, yet again! Although I got a good start again, that was some tight racing at the front with Joe and Jon, especially in the opening laps. I was faster in some spots, and they were faster in some others. It made for some back and forth close quarters. It was all going pretty well until I lost some speed exiting the last sector on lap 9 and Jon got up close on my tail heading to T1. Jon approached inside line and I broke hard and started my turn for the 1st chicane and made it through the chicane seemingly without any contact. Problem was (after closer review), I apparently turned in earlier than normal and bumped Jon into a spin off track drivers right. Big apology to Jon for that unintentional bump! I think I over-reacted preparing for the chicane entry under drafting speed. Luckily Jon recovered quickly and got back up to speed.

After that it was a similar battle with Joe until I pitted earlier than normal. I tried to give notice ahead of time in chat, and Joe just barely swerved to miss me entering the abrupt pit entry. Whew.. that was close. I exit the pits into a gaggle of cars and a battle between Darien and Frank (IIRC). Next lap around Joe does his pitting and I catch up to him just after he has exited the pits. That was for position, but much closer than previous races. We had more close racing, especially on the long uphill stretch for the next several laps. Then Jon cycles thru the pits and exits similar to Joe a few laps earlier, right between us. So now its wheel to wheel with Jon again for P2. But that did broke off soon as it looks like he pitted again for something and I did my best to maintain my gap to Joe. Next thing you know a lap or two later the big one happens (see Joe's video). I was just far enough behind Joe I could see a cloud of smoke forming in the distance. Alarms went off in my mind and I had just enough time to slow a little and weave thru the whole incident, just barely. Lucky break for me, not so much for Joe or Josh, or anyone else I didn't see.

With such a comfortable gap, I was able to keep the car in the lead from then on. Its nice to get a class win once in a while. That was not an ideal win from a competition standpoint. But it does make the DRM Div-1 points chase even more interesting! The Div-II drivers seem to mixing it up quite a bit too. Darien joined the fray and gave the Div-II class some extra competition. Great competition with some great drivers. Grats to all class podiums and thanks for the heads up driving through the field.

TRACK NOTE: I have not driven this track since 2002 in GPL. And back then we were using a 1967 version to match the 67' F1 cars era. There were no chicanes in 67' and the cars did not have the incredible brakes and aero of newer race cars like even the DRMs. You just wrestled which ever loose goose you picked and made sure you broke ahead for the turns at the end of the fast sections. Not anymore! These modern tracks (especially in Europe) rely on chicanes to help limit top speed and the related momentum. I get that. But I'm not a big fan of racing thru tight chicanes like T1 here or at modern Monza. The one at Monaco 79' was the ball breaker of our last Eagle race. Get it right and you could improve your times. Get it wrong (with a slim margin of error) and you tear up your car in big way. It seems like they are a simple but necessary evil for space limitations, advanced speeds and more respectful safety regulations. Luckily, I don't think we have anymore real tight chicanes this season. We have some tight and slow turns in a few spots and a medium slow chicane at Nurburgring IIRC. But otherwise good racing space I can deal with that.

See you guys next time.
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 10-19-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

If anyone wants to volunteer to take some screenshots from Tuesday's race and send them to me so I can create a bit of post race report here, I'd appreciate it.

This track doesn't want to cooperate with my toaster due to the design of the track files. Any decent quality images have to come from high to maxed out settings and I'm getting a ton of hangups and freezes trying to do that using the tv cameras for the shots.

I also don't want to bother with tweaking (as I could probably make it work enough to get the shots if I played with some settings) as I am about to build a new rig today ( ) and honestly don't want to put another second's effort into tweaking this old potato. She's been dependable, but she's served her time and it's time to retire her to the pc graveyard where her outdated ass now belongs....hehe.

faspit is offline Frank Speer

I tried to get the pictures off to Jason but for some reason it just is not working. So lets see if I can post them.

The first one is the field from the roof of the pole car.
    The Entire Field from pole.jpg

The Start of the Race Turn 1, All clear and clean thru here!
    The Start of the race.jpg

Typical Battle for the lead between Brette, Jon, and Joe.
    Lap5 lead Brette Jon Joe.jpg

Same battle lap 9, Jon slipped in the Chicane and fell back after this lap.
    lap9 leaders under a blanket.jpg

Then Joe hounding Brette until pitstops started.
    lap10 lead battle from Joe.jpg

At the same time the leaders from Group 1 were battling it out the top 4 in Group 2 were having their own tight battles. Josh got a great start and had 5-10 car lengths on Darien, Jason, and Frank.

This picture is Jason finally getting by Darien, or does he?
    lap12 Jason finaly gets by Darrien or does he.jpg

Josh has been the driver to beat in Division 2, here he makes a rare error,
    Lap14 Josh loses grip thru chicane.jpg

This is what most of the corners were taken by these drivers, here Jason shows his best low friction turn!
    Lap15 Jason demostrates how these cars take curbing.jpg

Not all battles were for the lead, Great give and take all race long from Marc and Mark! This is why we race here at CMS Racing!
    Lap15 Marc and Mark battle for whole race.jpg

We also are proud of our racers who never give up, we battle for position in the race and for points in the championship! Here Nick shows us his version of never give up, never surrender!
    lap15 Nick shows his never give up spirit.jpg

These next two shots are from the same incident from Joe's video post, I was right behind Joe for this, all I saw coming into this turn was Josh trying to fly and parts flying in every direction.
    Lap23 Josh tries flying.jpg

Lap23 Jason drives off while Joe and Frank get hung up.jpg

Last photo is Frank showing us how NOT to finish a race! lost positions doing this too.
    Lap34 Frank demostrates how not to finish a race.jpg

All in all, one of the closest races and battles I have seen, that was for every spot and position we could gather up. Lots of give and take and only a few "Oh No" moments. Love racing with this group of die hard's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast