Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Saleen Mustang Fun Event Sebring Post Race Discussion

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

Default Saleen Mustang Fun Event Sebring Post Race Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 12-19-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

The fans are streaming out of Sebring VERY happy tonight.

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

Somewhat of a surprise win tonight. When I had two mistakes in L1 and lost P2 I was thinking what one of the tv race hosts said one time: Cold tires, cold brakes, cold brains. ..And that was definitely me. It was a pretty good fight against Mark from start to finish. Had to defend hard the last 5 or so laps.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

faspit is offline Frank Speer

Sorry I missed this one, fun cars and better track. My Temp was still 103 since Sunday, It dropped to 101 this morning so got to go get some fluids today, just drained completely.
    Glad everyone had fun! I'll watch the replay later.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Congrats to Jon for the win, and to Mark too for putting in a long, hard and well fought battle. And to all the rest: 20 finishers out of 23 starters is very good!

Very lucky to snag a last second pole with three other guys already having set PB's...as though it mattered. I had my usual bog-slow start and Gilles rocketed away uncontested. Early lap fight with Jon to wrest away P2 and then I set after Gilles, but he was flying. I really didn't get close enough for a pass, except for the shove I gave him before T2 (it didn't cost me my splitter, but I was worried for a short while).

I was the first one out after ten laps or so, and the only one to blow an engine. Pure driver error: too aggressive and fast while flipping and blipping the throttle going down into the last corner, and I had ample warning it could happen--I had done it twice too there earlier in the week. I will have to install the damage monitoring utility Gilles has mentioned.

I ordinarily might have shut the PC off in disgust or just logged off at that point, but I had a feeling this would be a fun one to watch, so I stayed. It was too. Good fights for position going on all over the field, and everything I saw looked fair and pretty much above board. I kept wishing I had mapped a screenshot key, because I could have taken thirty good ones.

----

All the fans I talked to after the race were quite happy with what they had just seen. Several even offered to bring fire-extinguishers in case they should see me again, and one nice lady gifted me a gallon of Bondo and a holiday gift bag full of sandpaper (she had obviously watched me bounce it off some of the concrete in practice).
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-13-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Tom, aaron page, burmcat and 1 others like this.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Quote Originally Posted by faspit View Post
    Sorry I missed this one, fun cars and better track. My Temp was still 103 since Sunday, It dropped to 101 this morning so got to go get some fluids today, just drained completely.
    Glad everyone had fun! I'll watch the replay later.
    Man, 103 ain't nuthin' to mess with. Hope you're doing better soon!
    faspit likes this.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Lots of rest Frank.

What a nice mod. Hope we can run those for a full season soon.

Ok, long story short. I run an old Logitech wheel (1999), I have modified it many times, ball bearing kit and what not. For the last few years, I have been plagued by a worn out throttle potentiometer. It a custom job, nothing similar is available on the market. Practicing for this race, I'm flying through the corners and I'm doing high 2:05s, I'm gonna run up front in this one. I check on the LiveRacers feed... Christopher is more than 2 seconds quicker... there's just NO way!

Watching a racing sim clip on YT the other day, the guy has a widget on the screen showing his throttle and brake application. I run GID, there is one of those in it, I switch it on an went out on the track to see. Last year, my throttle was giving me 90 odd percent and most of the time, on the straits, it would creep up close to 100%... that's it... that's all. Might as well deal... even forget about it. Now with the widget on, I could clearly see that I wasn't even getting 75%. I got real pissed. Again, I opened my pedal box, pulled the potentiometer, took it apart and with lots of lights and a magnifying glass... I saw what the trouble was and I corrected it. Closed the whole thing, check in the Device applet... 100%. Start rFactor, TADA!!! 2:03s. Pissed and happy at the same time, I thought... what if I get pole? What if I get the lead? ...NahNahNah ain't gonna happen!

I qualied 3rd with 2:03.698. But at the start I'm on the front row next to Christopher... whaaaa? I lost my cool right there. 2nd qualifier Don was sent to the back dead last... what d'you do dude? (rFactor's qualifying logs states: <FinishStatus>None)

Now the start... Christopher bogs down and I take off in the lead... This is NOT HAPPENING!!! Totally pissed, I did the whole Eagle and DRM series in the back of the pack... a Little fix and I'm LEADING! NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNO!!!!!!!!

So I lead the race for 10 laps, about 20 minutes. Christopher got closer but not enough to try anything. When he blew his engine on lap 8, we were going in the last Sunset Bend (last) and I did not know If I had squeezed him against the wall, there was no impact but I kept wondering what had happened. I continued, doing a great job but I have too much stuff going through my mind, 2 laps later, I loose it coming out of corner 5, I put the two right wheels off and didn't just kept it in, like a robot I shifted into 3rd while in the dirt... got a serious case of tank slapping and the wall sent me around. Got back right away and started after Mark and Jon... I was now driving like before my throttle fix, over driving most if not all corners, had a small off at Cunningham (10) but only lost a few second... just enough to bring Mr. Canal just behind me. Still over driving it, climbing most curbs, he got by me at Sunset but way too fast and went too deep. I was able to take my position back but it woke me up. I got some composure back and started to pull away... but I was still climbing all over the place and spun left at Le Mans (15-16). I got back behind Al and Don in 5th, both guys started last and went through to finish 3rd and 4th... Good show guys.

To add to my new found power, I had to stop for a splash of fuel as I'm now using more fuel than before. So a 7th place finished that does not matter... what matters is I'm back!

Congrats to Jon, Mark and Al.

Don... it was never gonna be your race!
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 12-13-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    Jon Uyan, Tom, burmcat and 1 others like this.

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Lalonde View Post
    Lots of rest Frank.
    Yes, lots of rest Frank, hope you are feeling better!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Lalonde View Post
    I qualied 3rd with 2:03.698. But at the start I'm on the front row next to Christopher... whaaaa? I lost my cool right there. 2nd qualifier Don was sent to the back dead last... what d'you do dude?
    Sorry to mess up your race Gilles but I went 4 wheels off (even let off so I wouldn't lose it) on my fast lap and didn't feel I deserved to be up front. Asked Jason to move me to the back. But I think it turned out for the best as I had so much fun!
    Tom likes this.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fryman View Post
    Sorry to mess up your race Gilles but I went 4 wheels off (even let off so I wouldn't lose it) on my fast lap and didn't feel I deserved to be up front. Asked Jason to move me to the back. But I think it turned out for the best as I had so much fun!
    And then I refused, because honestly, I didn't know how to move you on the fly like that. We've not had that situation and I've apparently overlooked learning how to do that. I'll figure that out soon enough now that I realize I need to know that.

How did you get yourself to the rear, Don? I'm interested to know. I know you left and came back but usually it'll just move you right back to where you were as quali data is already there. I saw you come back in, then noted you at the rear and couldn't understand how that was possible. Handy trick, whatever it was.

I didn't know how to do it, or I'd have honored your request. Though, I didn't even bother much beyond "I don't know how" because I'd wage your second best was enough to put you just about right where you were anyways. Your consistency in practice and over the days before the race, and always (it seems) speaks for itself in that way. So, bottom line, we weren't worried about it. But the honesty is much appreciated. Very cool.

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Jason no big deal..........I just didn't feel I deserved the position because of the 4 off Fun Race or not

Anyways to move a driver you would use the chat command - /editgrid <pos> <name> assuming that you had made yourself a server admin already.
    There is a whole list of commands an admin can do from the chat box, google it if interested or ask and I will help out

The way I did it was to leave and make a slight change to the car in the options, I think I changed the windshield from clean to dirty...any change will make it look like a different car thus losing any place you may have had.
    Jon Uyan and Jason Whited like this.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast