Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Saleen Mustang Fun Event #2 Mid-Ohio Post Race Discussion

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

Default Saleen Mustang Fun Event #2 Mid-Ohio Post Race Discussion

Tom and Jason Whited like this.

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

lost my force feed back again. Rather than cause any more problems I exited the race. Congrats to Al and all the finishers. Some great racing going on thrughout the field. It was fun to watch.

I was involved in some lap 1 stuff, but I had a really fun time getting back through the field and trying to get to Dave Slee. Unfortunately my chase came to an end when he dove into the pits for what I assume was for some fuel. After that I relaxed a bit to finish 5th. It's awesome to see so many people in these races!
    ~Bailey

My Livestream @ Twitch.tv --> http://www.twitch.tv/asherao
    My YouTube Channel --> http://www.youtube.com/user/asheras

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Surpriesed there aren't more race reports....my race was crazy fun. Being a terrible qualifier to begin with I don't even bother with a qual setup, just do all my practice and qualifying on my race setup. Avoided what must have been some excitement on lap one because all of a sudden I'm top 10. Of course I knew everyone that I had gotten by would soon be back on me and sure enough, lap 2 Scott Beck passes, lap 3 Dave Slee and not long after that was Darian Bailey. (Might have some (first) names wrong.) Darian and Dave caught Scott which allowed me to close up on him too. Within a couple of laps both Jason and Jerry joined the fray with Jason and Scott getting together at turn 2 (I think) on lap 9. Both Jerry and I make it past unscathed. Jerry Hamilton goes by me when I ran off turn 2 and I spent the next several laps chasing and hounding him.....great fun for me. We got together at turn 5 (again, I think) and he got the worst of it. My next several laps were pretty uneventful as I wasn't close to anyone and wasn't being hounded by anyone, time to try to take care of the tires. Then, surprisingly, I pass Dave as he's exiting the pits which I assume was due to a fuel miscalculation. Didn't figure I could hold him off forever and I was right....lap 30 off he goes. Off as into the sunset, not off track. Al and Don lap me on lap 31 and then on lap 32 Slee pulls of the track. He's probably gonna fire his pit crew. All of a sudden there's the hard charging Jason bearing down on me. Had no idea what might have happened that allowed me to be ahead of him. We were right at the end of the final lap and he put a move on me in the Carousel but over rotated a bit on exit so I hit him on purpose (NOT REALLY!!!) and managed to finish a fortuitous 6th. Like I said.....whole lots of fun in this one.
    Last edited by Tom; 12-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    All of a sudden there's the hard charging Jason bearing down on me. Had no idea what might have happened that allowed me to be ahead of him. We were right at the end of the final lap and he put a move on me in the Carousel but over rotated a bit on exit so I hit him on purpose (NOT REALLY!!!) and managed to finish a fortuitous 6th. Like I said.....whole lots of fun in this one.

I got turned around early on, lap 2? ...maybe 3. My own fault. Got up on the curbing in the thunder valley section and put the power down and ended up spinning. By the time I got oriented and was ready to re enter the track, pretty much everyone went by/was going by at that time. Did some lawn mowing but got back on course without trouble.

It was fun catching back up. Though, from the first moments of the race I was kicking myself for not re adjusting my wing to what I had been using prior to the last few minutes of quali. One of these days, I'll learn that those last minute adjustments are never really beneficial.

I caught up fairly quickly. But overtaking anyone was a different story. Finally managed a few decent passes and was storming my way back into the top 10. I was relaxed after the spin and felt I didn't have much to lose, so I was pushing to the limit. Thought was, I'm going to either finish this race top 10, I'm going to blow this engine, or I'm going to [properly] wreck this car!....there was no in between in my minds' eye last night.

Got a good chuckle as I found myself, again, behind Jerry. We were in the exact same positions as Sebring, and a VERY similar situation.
    Battled him for a while...I was easily 3 or so seconds a lap faster than him and some of the others I found myself behind, but it didn't matter, I felt I couldn't overtake safely (or without being an ass and just dive bombing) so I started trying to pressure the guy ahead into a mistake.
    Jerry....you defend a position as good/better than most. Really good work. I don't know if all of it was intentional, but if it was, you really know where to put your car to keep the guy behind you from making any moves (or I'm way too predictable ) Anyways, really good job and it was one heck of a struggle.

Eventually, Jerry did make a mistake somewhere along the line and off I go, chasing down Scott for P10.
    Same thing happens when I get to Scott. I'm faster, per lap, but I can't find a place or opportunity to overtake. So, same tactic...but this time, it bites my rear. I pressured hard. Stuck the nose in more than a few times...just trying to make something happen. I think the contact as I went by Scott was more my fault than his. Like I said, the tactic bit back that time around. So, around I go again...hehe. This time, I stall the engine and having moved my starter button off wheel recently, it took me a second to remember where I had put it. Thanks, Scott, for waiting. I know it wasn't intentional and it's not a big deal at all, just one of those things that happens.

So, after all that, I fall back again. Can't remember how far, I just remember catching back up and Mr. Aaron Page is ahead of me. Aaron also defended his position well (I was happy about that. Was really hoping him, and others I don't often get to go wheel to wheel with would give me a little fight rather than let me go by....so, thanks for that!).....
    Same deal, I can't overtake but I'm much faster per lap.
    Eventually, after defending well for a few laps, Aaron graciously lets me go on (it was fun, Aaron)

At that point, I just put my head down and started trying to pick up as much time as I could. With about 5 minutes remaining I realized I was poised to catch Dave and Tom.
    As Tom said, Dave eventually had to pull off, for whatever reason.

Final lap and I was PUSHING! Suddenly, an 11 second gap that Tom had on me become nothing and there he was, heading into the final turns.
    I made a crazy move on the inside, two wheels in the grass, wide open (told ya, I was going to wreck this thing, or I was moving forward till the end...haha)
    It was relatively clean but not something I would have done in a points race. Was a blast though.
    After the pass, I was unstable heading into the carousel. As Tom said, I over rotated...I probably could have caught the car. Honestly, I didn't try. At the time I wasn't sure the pass was as clean as it seemed to have been, so I really didn't want to take his position. The hit, intentional (I know it wasn't!) or not, was really deserved. Go by a car like that, final lap, half in the grass, driving like a mad man, you can expect stuff like that to happen...
    ..don't care though. Heck, I don't even know where I finished.

All I know is, I had a freakin' BLAST! These cars, combined with the guys who pilot them here...all top notch stuff. I'm just glad to be able to be part of it. And sometimes, these fun events are awesome. No stress, no worries...just drive and have fun with whatever car will fight you. Really awesome stuff, everyone. Great racing throughout the field all race.

See you guys next time (stay tuned for details)
    DaveS, Darien Bailey, Tom and 3 others like this.

Bill Brehm is offline Retired

Is there going to be another event? I'm in.
    Gilles Lalonde likes this.
    "In order to win, you have to be aggressive - with your car, with the racetrack, and with the competition. But you don't have to be stupid about it." - Carroll Smith

aaron page is offline Established Member

Wow, that was a fun race! I got a good start, gained a position, then lost three on the next lap after touching the grass exiting the keyhole. Soon thereafter Nick was on my bumper, and after a couple of laps made a textbook pass on me at the end of the back straight, but a couple of laps after that I eased by him when HE got two wheels in the grass at the keyhole. He sure as heck wasn’t letting me get away, but I made one fewer mistakes than he did as we were catching up to Charlie. And here I’ve got to say, Charlie, that was some great driving, sir! Man, lap after lap with equal cars, excellent defensive driving without blocking, and I just could not get by. But it was a blast trying. Then Jason caught up with us, and the three of us had a great race for a few laps. I made a minor error exiting the keyhole (again!) which allowed Jason to get a big enough run on me that I had to surrender. I watched Charlie and Jason slowly pulling away from me, and Jerry gaining on me. By then I had worn my tires out, and I eventually lost that position. Once again, I was impressed with the clean racing (and patience!) of folks in MNRL races.

Love this mod. I’ll be looking for the poll this week, to see if we get to do it again, and if so, Road America? Atlanta? Or maybe overseas to Brands Hatch? Hint hint

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    This time, I stall the engine and having moved my starter button off wheel recently, it took me a second to remember where I had put it.
    It sucks being old.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    It sucks being old.
    That'll become the excuse in due time.
    For now, I tend to blame it on brain damaged caused by a misspent youth.

...so hard sometimes, in a moment like that, to remember little things that are never an issue otherwise. Sat there like a deer in headlights before I finally restarted the car

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brehm View Post
    Is there going to be another event? I'm in.
    There will be another poll up after Christmas.
    Next "fun event" will be on January 2, 2018.

I doubt we'd have enough show the day after Christmas, so next week will be an off week for MNRL.
    Tom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast