• 1 Post By jham
  • 1 Post By Gilles Lalonde
  • 5 Post By Marc Cohn
  • 1 Post By Christopher Snow
  • 2 Post By Marc Cohn

Thread: Sad news

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

Default Sad news

Well, as many of you know, I switched jobs in this past year due to my back getting worn out by all the heavy lifting at the airport as a line service technician and the company not having any opportunities of advancement after 2 and a half years. Now, I am very happy with my current position as a mentor for special needs individuals. However, due to the fact that I need to be able to qualify for the company's health insurance with enough hours, that has meant that my schedule has changed. Also of note is the fact that the company is a bit understaffed due to them understandably requiring high quality employees to take care of their clients. I just found out less than an hour ago that I would be having a shift which would take place during the time that MNRL races, so regrettably my involvement in the series as a racer will be ending for the time being.

I'd like to take the time and thank everyone (including Norm - RIP) for being so welcoming and so fun to race with. The camaraderie and racing standards are things that I have enjoyed to the fullest while I've had the chance to run in this league as well as the fact that it does so much to preserve racing history by running so many legendary cars. There are so many great memories I've had with here, whether it is those amazing yet clean battles, 5 wins including the first one after Norm's last ride (fought back tears after that one was over), holding off the unbeatable Fahn Thomas (voice was hoarse for a few days after that), or the pinnacle of my sim racing career in actually winning a championship (first road racing one as well) in this league with the U2 Trans Am cars. There is no doubt that the MNRL has definitely tugged the heartstrings more than a few times with some emotional moments. Needless to say, some of the best things within my sim racing career have happened over here.

I promise that I'll still be around looking virtually everyday at the forums and I may still be around for some practice sessions. I'll greatly miss seeing all of you on race day, but I promise that will be the only real change. Also, if you admins need me to test anything, I'm always happy to do so as I previously did that for Norm.
    jham, Flyer23, Scott Beck and 4 others like this.

aaron page is offline Established Member

Marc, it has been a pleasure being lapped by you week after week after week for all these years. We'll still be around when your hours change due to additional qualified folks getting hired. But the work you are doing is a MUCH more noble affair than what amounts to fantasy racing, and I tip my cap to your being involved in that line of work. Maybe, in the meantime, I'll find you on an rF1 or Automobilista "fun" race! Wave as you pass :-)
    Marc Cohn and faspit like this.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

Marc, you are a great competitor (fast, skilled and a solid companion for us all) and we'll miss you. AS Aaron said - you are doing something much more noble and much more important than many other things, even simracing! We'll be here when you have time and look forward to when you can be back regularly.
    Marc Cohn and aaron page like this.
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

faspit is offline Frank Speer

Marc, Having worked for over 8 year for a Transportation Company in Chicago that only transported the handicapped I know the special people that can and will do that for a career. It is tough work but for the most part it is very rewarding. I am glad for everyone you will work with, they are getting a special person helping them.
    Enjoy your time with the job, one of us is always around here. Drop a note and tell us when you can make time to practice or do a test race, some of us can join you possibly.
    Good luck!
    Marc Cohn and aaron page like this.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Sorry to hear you need to drop out for now. We'll still be around when you are able to come back. Check out our CMS Historics series if you like old cars as a possible option. I envy your race setup and enjoyed our discussion about Obutto bucket seats. If you're going to be in the East Bay anytime give me a head's up; maybe we can get together for lunch or something.
    Marc Cohn likes this.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Catch you next time dude... but then again, we'll all just be one position forward... no harm!
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 01-28-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Good news (or bad news) depending on how you look at it. My work hours have increased which has helped my cause as mentioned originally. However, after some discussion with my employer about trying to have Tuesdays off again (partially because I missed the MNRL like crazy), I was granted this request because I have the best boss EVER! What does this mean? I'll be able to race again in the league I had been aching to race in for the past month . The only catch? I'll most likely be competing here in one series full-time as I want to continue on the AMS side and spend those other weeks in an oval series one of my sponsors, Sam Maxwell Customs, helps organize.

Long story short, I am OVERJOYED to be back here and can't wait to hopefully return to the pink #15 Kremer Porsche in next week's event.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

The 99 is available too if you want it--I haven't made a race yet and this week won't be any different.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Congratulations on your new career, Mark, but we're really sorry to be losing you as a racer. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Congratulations on your new career, Mark, but we're really sorry to be losing you as a racer. Best of luck in your new endeavor.
    Thanks for the kind words Tom. Just to clear things up, I actually am going to be returning now to the MNRL after missing a month or so due to a change in work schedule so you guys will be getting me back
    Scott Beck and faspit like this.