Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Optimizing your connection to rfactor and the server

Norm Borczon is offline CMS Admin Team

Default Optimizing your connection to rfactor and the server

Drivers:
    We are going to beat this mass disconnect thing!

David A. just sent me a link to a TON of things we can do to optimize our connections to the server.
    PLEASE read this and do as much as you can among the suggestions in there.

Optimizing your rFactor Connection for CMS events, Stutters, Freezes, Blinking Cars

Pete Holm is offline Junior Member

Good idea Norm, I for one could use some help in that area. Last nite I barely made it on the grid and disco. I have yet to complete a MNRL race without a disco. I'll take a close look at all these suggestions. The odd thing is I ran a Rfactor2 race a couple weeks ago , 60 minutes, 17 entries and not a single glitch during practice, qualy or race. Way higher graphics detail and physics.. I don't get it.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

What version of Rf are you running, Pete? Steam version? Lite?

Pete Holm is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    What version of Rf are you running, Pete? Steam version? Lite?
    I just loaded most recent version of Rf1 off steam a few weeks ago hoping to solve the problem. Upgraded our internet speed to the house last week. New modem, new router, bypassed router,
    Jason Whited likes this.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Established Member

rFactor Lite is not a problem. That's what I'm using and I survived both mass discos.

I have all settings to High not Full and Max Visible Vehicles="7".
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 02-08-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Jason Whited likes this.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Well, I survived it and had 18 visible vehicles. I never have a problem with having a high value there, seems to run fine.
    With AI that is a different story, but online, a high number of visible vehicles, if anything, causes micro stutters...

I also run the Lite version sometimes with some other mods...I never have problems because of it either. Never been an issue, so isn't "the" issue.

Scott Beck is online now Rothmans Racing

I use the lite version also. It's a new install with only this series installed. Nothing else. It's not running through steam. I run everything on full and I'm getting over 700fps. I too survived the disco's.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR
    www.rothmans-racing.com

alcanal is offline Member

Seeing some guys having trouble with connection or instability issues brings to mind some things for me that I thought I might share to see if I can offer any help.

I for one can attest to rFactor lite not being a problem. I have used it myself for many years and the only problem I have ever had was with sounds. Once I started installing the sound pack with it, it has run flawlessly.

I do however utilize multiple installs as others have mentioned. If you are experiencing problems with instability/connections, I would install a fresh version/install separate from any other rFactor installs. Call it “rFactor MNRL” for example. I probably would go ahead and use the full rFactor installation as well to be comprehensive.

I am not a fan of steam as I hate things running in the backround stealing resources and possibly causing conflicts(as I recall from myexperience years ago when steam first began). I’m sure they have improved it by now but we do not need anything else right now as we are trying to eliminate conflicts. So make sure you can run rfactor without steam.

If you are a fan of plugins, I would not install any just yet. You need to make sure your install and system are working properly first before adding any complexity to your problems. For example, I have used a plugin for years through many, many different mods and installs without issue. When we went to Brands Hatch with the WSC70 mod my rfactor started acting funny locking up and crashing. I tried different graphics settings etc with not much luck. I uninstalled the plugin and everything started working again. Finally I dug out my old trusty XD from my gtr2 days and found that worked consistently and stayed with that. Anyway do not install any plugins yet.

At this point we should have a fresh rFactor install separate from any others without any plugins, a virgin so to speak. Start it up and make your player. After making your player exit or close rFactor. This version should be able to start up and close without issue. Try it several times for stability testing. If at this point you have no issue we can than continue.

Now you have 2 options, you can begin customizing rfactor as you had from the beginning or you can copy your player file over from a good working rFactor and paste it in this fresh “rFactor MNRL” install. I suppose your choice should be guided by the complexity of your issues. In example, if you have continually had problems from the beginning with disco’s and crashes, I would customize without pasting in anything. If your rFactor has run well but only get disco’s I think pasting in your player might be ok. Your choice. Either way at this point rFactor should still be able to be started and exited several times without issue.

Following after the previous steps, there are settings that I seem to recall from many moons ago back when MNRL was still on their own domain. A bunch of us in the middle of a season started experiencing slow downs, keyboard delays, and what I ended up calling stuttering. I noticed that in the main rFactor menu while observing the spinning car display that the car would not spin smoothly. It would rotate ½ to ¾ around than stop for a few milliseconds and continue on again in this same pattern. This same stutter is how it felt when in the server typing or driving. I found out that it was the “chat server”. We all turned off “AUTO JOIN CHAT SERVER” in our “Multiplayer.ini” file and the stutter was gone.
    I have kept that off ever since and make sure if I install a fresh version without pasting in my Player file(in "YOUR NAME" folder) that I turn that off by replacing the “1” with a “0”.
    Ex; Auto Join Chat Server="0" // Whether to auto join to lobby chat during start up

Considering my recollection of events from the old MNRL days and how vastly this issue affected us, I wonder if somehow something like this could have been affecting the disco’s. I haven’t seen so many affected in my past experiences other than back than. I guess a good question to raise here would be, how many people that have had the disco issue more than 1x have the rFactor chat server running?

Considering that at this point we are looking in the “multiplayer.ini” another thing that comes to mind is “Net Connection Type="3" // 0=28k, 1=56k, 2=ISDN, 3=128kbps cable/dsl 4=256kbps cable/dsl, 5=LAN, 6=custom “.
    As you can see I have mine set to 128kbps. rFactor fortunately really does not need a lot of bandwidth to run properly. I’m getting between 150-200+ fps. If you are one of those who has been experiencing the disco’s I would certainly look at these settings and lower them to a conservative level to see if it has any impact.
    Also considering the large fields and server bandwidth, maybe if we all checked our connection setting in rFactor we could limit the stress on the server connection. I am not versed in the server parameters or needs etc. so I can’t make any recommendations but maybe someone at CMS who is can chime in here with some.

Hopefully some of this helps someone. Good luck

Scott Beck is online now Rothmans Racing

Great info there Al. I have everything you mentioned already set. I would suggest that everyone go in and check all there settings you mention here. It could help with our disco's.
    Last edited by Scott Beck; 02-09-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Marc Cohn and alcanal like this.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR
    www.rothmans-racing.com

Chuck Napoli is offline Established Member

Al: Considering that the disco I had was my first one here at CMS (and wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been in 3rd place overall in the P3000's at the time, grrrr ) I am going to see if it happens again, and if it does I am going to affect some changes in my rF1 as you suggest. I took a quick look at the multiplayer.ini in my game and see that the net connection seems to say it is set on a "2" as where I have a DSL connection to the internet. I never had problems before except for maybe an occasional minimal lag or stutter in a race, prior to my disco, in over 220+ races so I am hoping this was a freak occurrence. I will have to investigate that net connection though. It seems I should be set for a "4" (DSL connection) rather than a 2, but I am assuming that is what the connection has always been set at. I am just always afraid that by making an error in changing a setting that I will render rF1 inoperable, so I am wary of making too many changes within the game itself. However, should the disco start to become a problem (especially in the way Pete Holm has been having mega problems in staying connected to the server) it is something that is definitely going to have to be checked in order to keep racing. Funny how this doesn't seem to happen when getting on the server for some online practice though, and there have been times being online in practice when there have been enough guys on there at the same time to practically have a race. Then again, not everyone is staying on the whole time. During race day, I wonder: there seems to be a lot of guys going off and then coming back on to the race server. I wonder if that could be causing any problems with connections? IDK, just an idle thought. But will keep your settings changes here in mind should I have another disco problem. Thanks for the info you provided.
    Last edited by Chuck Napoli; 02-09-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    Marc Cohn and alcanal like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast