Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Off-Season Fun Event #2 Dec. 19th (Saleen Mustangs at Mid Ohio)

Bill Brehm is offline Retired

Un freakin' believable!

Ligths just about to go green, and I don't crash to desktop, my computer shuts down.
    "In order to win, you have to be aggressive - with your car, with the racetrack, and with the competition. But you don't have to be stupid about it." - Carroll Smith

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

That sucks bill. I lost force feedback and couldn't drive it. I feel your pain.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

It's hardly representative, but between my screen blanking issues, Joe's FFB problem, and Bill's shutdown, three of...maybe 24 (?) who would have raced couldn't. 1 out of 8. Not a thrilling average really.

On a personal note, I woke up this morning realizing my blanking issue has actually been going on for some time now. It started with a Acer 32" 4K monitor which I returned as defective back in mid-November. Replaced that with a newer (better and bigger 43" 4K too) monitor which is in front of me right now--no blanking in it's current configuration, but the issue is still "there" I'm sure--and it's showing up of late only with the projector (which is only a 1080P). I'm now suspecting cabling as a contributing factor if not the root-culprit, as this screen also was blanking in full 4K@60Hz. mode and needs a firmware update. The documentation prompts me to use "the included cabling" which I'm sure is HDMI 2.2 specific (aka "high bandwidth" capable). I had forgotten until this AM that I "downgraded" to 4K@30Hz during install to get things stable...and it really is quite nice this way...but it's not ideal.

Why any of that affects a low-demand output like the projector I just don't know, but I'll keep after it I guess. The only other option is to retire again, and I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel (already did that...for five long years).

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

I have FFB issues sometimes with rFactor as well but there is a FFB reset option available in rFactor in the same menu you use to assign buttons for pit stops and such. So if my FFB goes while I'm in rFactor I just press the button I've got assigned for it and it resets my FFB, works great for me.
    Christopher Snow likes this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Gilles had some ffb problems as well. Went out on him after about 5 laps, he said.

We discussed this post race, and have come to the conclusion (assumption, but one based within reason and one that can and does happen) that it's clipping out, causing the wheel (or realfeel, in Joe's case) to "cut out". This can and will happen with some wheels when ffb maxes out.

But...for me (Thrustmaster user)...the ffb reset never works in game. I have it mapped and I've tried it.
    I have never actually had a ffb issue in game, outside of alt tabbing and moving my wheel rotation. When I do that, I have to go in the menu and set the ffb strength...even if I just move it 2%, then move it right back. That resets it for me. If I alt tab out, change wheel rotation, and then come back and go directly to track, I have no ffb. In that case, the reset button is also ineffective for me.
    It does seem to work for others though, so it's just something one would have to experiment with to know for sure.

Bill's shutdown seems to have been a pc based issue, rather than an rF issue (so it appears, but I could be wrong)

All I can say for Christopher is, you are a dedicated man. LOL...I'd have probably thrown in the towel by now with all the issues you seem to constantly have. Matter of fact, when throwing in said towel, I'd probably have thrown pc, and all other gear out the window, then proceeded to find the nearest large sled hammer....scratch that, make it a chainsaw....and then I'd have went to work "reducing my stresses" :P

...hope you can get sorted soon. Wishing you luck.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Sledge hammer has occurred to me, yeah.

It gets better: went out this AM to drive my mom over so she could renew her drivers license...and now the BMW won't start. Of COURSE it's dead in front of the garage where the other car is parked...so I ended up driving her over in her old Jeep Wagoneer. But the Jeep started, and though it's been problematic for several months (and though the battery was sounding tired), it ran like a top.

On the plus side, I was able to renew my own license too, so that's one less future hassle. I also ordered a powered HDMI 2.2 splitter box this AM for the video outfeed (I need PJ, monitor and HMD but there's no v. card with 3 HDMI's I'm aware of), and I'll make sure any new cabling is highest-speed rated too.

Re FFB: The other way they can cut out is when they overheat and thermal protection circuitry kicks in (Logitech's do have this, I know from experience). Used to be a problem for me when racing some ovals, where constant or near-constant duty cycle is in play...and if Joe is running his forces really high, it could even occur on a road-circuit. If that IS his culprit, it should run fine again once it cools down--give it 15m. An unlikely cause of his problem, but something else to keep in mind.

The tide goes out...comes back in...and then goes out again....
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 12-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Established Member

His guys,

Congrats All and Don, I had nothing more to give. Good Show.

I've been busy!

First, My FFB troubles. I'm pretty sure that it's plugin related. I do run FFB at 100% but I fine control it through ReaFeel: "MaxForceAtSteeringRack" is high at 3500 (so lower FFB) and "SteeringDamper" is lowered at 9500 to prevent spikes that would clip off.

If I have the Motec plugin running, everything runs fine, Practice, Qualy, all nice but when it's race time, I click the Race button to go on the grid for the Start... CTD...
    When I don't forget to remove the Motec plugin, GID and RealFeel usually work fine. It does happen once in a while that GID starts half frozen, still works but only updates once a lap or something and no FFB. Pretty sure it's plugin related.

Once during the Eagle season, it started with the FFB inverted and at 100%. RealFeel had crashed. Like Christopher mentioned, the thermal protection kicked in after 2 laps and I continued on with a dead/loose wheel.
    For this race, it started with the FFB at full force... I don't know if it's rFactor's FFB or Realfeel that crashed. I had moved the FFB reset key and didn't remember where I had set it. Again the thermal protection kicked in and lost all FFB a few laps in.
    It was really funny as it would cool down and give me a corner or two of faint FFB and go dead again... But I was still able to stay in front of Mark!

Second, I wanted to make a video for Sebring, you can read my after race post in that thread, even if I had lost the leading spot, I was so happy to be back on top that I wanted to make one.
    Then I hit the Cameras on that Sebring track. The track itself is awesome, like the Mid-Ohio one, fine work... except for the CAM files.
    Camera emplacement is not so good and all sound listener position are just off the Start/Finish line. When the replay runs it shows the cars through some corner, the sounds are always from the front straight. Other values are also askew. I never really worked on CAM files before... I remember fixing something on some track a while back but never read enough to know what I was doing.
    So at Sebring, I quit making the video early on and tried to go through that CAM file. It took all the spare time I had between Sebring and Mid-Ohio. I now have a good Sebring CAM file but no Sebring video.

So, time to practice and do the Mid-Ohio race. Quite happy with myself, I qualied with a PB of 1:21.017 for the 4th starting spot. Had a great start, kept my 4th place... for 6 laps. Going in to the 1st right hander at China Beach (c.4), at 4:15 in the video, while still braking, I down shifted the last gear after turning in, it locked up the rear and it abruptly started rotate. To catch that spin, I countered full left... it was too much. It now wanted to rotate the other way but I was quick enough to bring it back and slowdown enough to keep it pointing in the right direction through the gravel. Not hitting anything, I continue on in 6th and proceeded to come back on the track like a noob... I didn't clobbered anyone... barely hindered Brette. Sorry about that bud.

A few laps later, I came back behind Brette who was behind Mark. I tried to pass but kept my cool, not like Sebring, I waited for things to happen, for an opportunity. After a few laps of that, driving off my pace, I lost some focus and put the two right wheels on the edge of the track right at the braking point for corner 11, the left kink before the carousel. 7:15 in the vid, floored both pedals to keep it from going around and continued on... ENOUGH WAITING! Knife between the teeth, I got back to Brette and taking no prisoners, I got my 4th place back... wooptido style, 8:15 in the vid. Now back in front of Mark who suddenly turned up the volume. The way Mark turns in to a corner, turning in early and feathering the brake pedal through, is something I can't do, my pedal set does not have that kind of resolution. To stay in front of him, I have to use lines that give me the best exits so he can't attack at the next corner. I'm weaving all over the place. Awesome close quarter battle for a good part off the race. Fantastic run. I was quite ecstatic after, Mark and me have had many exchange in the past where for the most part, he had the upper hand. Not this time!

Further into the race, Paulo went off coming out of The Keyhole and lost sight of the leaders. He was still out of reach but for an unknown reason, Paulo DNF. I did inherit the third place which made finishing in front of Mark one step sweeter. A podium step that is.... oooh... haaa!

So for the video, Mid-Ohio CAMs were as bad as Sebring was. Virtua_LM track are superb... not including the CAM files. But I now knew what I was doing! Couple of days and what a master piece... maybe I'm pushing. I fixed it and added a few new ones.

Title: A lesson on smooth driving by Mark, lots of brake pedal resolution, Carty and a lesson on blocking by Charlie, I was not weaving, Bonsall.

I also reworked the AI racing line (AIW file), not just the CAM file, but I'm not releasing them yet, the cars are taking too much apex curbs here and there.
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 12-29-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 20gigs on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running an Asus 560GTX (1gig) on an new AOC Q2963 screen... I'm doing way better! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Great video, Gilles. Well done and looks sharp!

Gilles Lalonde is offline Established Member

Bump!

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Not sure how I missed it.....
    But great video Gilles!!!

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234