• 5 Post By faspit
  • 4 Post By aaron page
  • 3 Post By Brette Brooks
  • 1 Post By Brette Brooks
  • 1 Post By Jason Whited

Thread: Norisring (DRMs) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Norisring (DRMs) Post Race Data and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 10-17-2017 at 10:55 PM.

faspit is offline Frank Speer

Let me start this, I started the week off badly. Thursday afternoon had to rush my wife to the hospital, she spent 4 days there with Pancreatitis. Got her home Sunday and she is much better now. So that threw my practice schedule out the window, I race the Thursday night Rf2 series here as well so I missed that race then since I wasn't home much plus my bad back and hospital seating I didn't feel up to much driving. So Sunday night I finally got to practice. Let me start off with saying I have never liked this track, ever, never made more than a few laps at best, always taken out at the braking zones by someone over driving, nature of this track. So I took the setup that I got from Jason two weeks ago and tweaked on the gears, the brakes, the cooling and the rear end. My practice was spent by myself during the day and with a couple of Series 1 cars, so Monday was the only time I could see what another series 2 guy was running, it was Jason and I was off pace a lot. Some gear changing and some rear end changing around and I found a good balance for me and was as fast or faster than Jason, for me that is a lot as he has been faster than me all year in all the cars.
    In Practice my FFB stopped working, had to leave and change the ini files with the stock installed ones and it started working again. So I had the fastest times in practice and in Q for Series 2 cars, I felt great. Now to make my strategy, figured to run a touch heavy fuel load to start and lower my pit stop time for fuel. I also planed to let Jason and Josh go since I knew from practice that my fast laps came at a cost, my engine life and tire life. So by following I was able to keep pace at the slower speeds and coast for some of my high RPM aread saving my tires but more importantly saving my engine wear. That worked out great until the pit stops. Jason stopped and was just ahead of me when I came out of the pits, Josh pited later on, but Josh pulled a fast one, Good job Josh, he came out 25 seconds ahead of me. What??? Well let me tell you, I put everything into catching him. I started catching both Jason and Josh by almost a second a lap, I got within 3 seconds of Jason and he got tangled up with someone who I ended up hitting, wow, in the "S" turn all blind. With that I lost 3 seconds to Josh, was up t 13 seconds behind, Well I started cruising hard burning fuel, tires and engine life going faster setting PB laps, well got the 0.00 time left as the gas lite lit up and Josh 6 seconds ahead of me, all 4 tires were red and I was soaking wet.
    Josh played a great hand there Congrads.
    One great race here finally. I don't hate this track as bad anymore. Best group of racers here.

aaron page is offline Established Member

Wow, Frank, with all the stuff going on in your life, it's a wonder you made the race at all (or even had the desire to do so). I've had something somewhat similar going on here for the last several months, and as a consequence haven't had time to do anything here but show up for the races. I saw this race on the schedule, and thought, oh, damn, a short course, a whole night of trying to stay out of the way. But online racing is one of my escapes from everyday stuff (as I am sure it is for many others), so I loaded the default, and joined in.

And, like you, I was pleasantly surprised. I had a fantastic race with Nick for the entire first half of the race, then, alternately, Ed and Bruno joined in; even though we were at the back of the pack, we had some great racing! Add to that, the fast guys knew better than to make risky (lapping) passes, pausing for better opportunities, and the night was anything but a waste. As usual, I was glad I showed up!

Take care of your lady, and don't forget to take time out for yourself, Frank. Run the default next time, and maybe I'll get to add to your hassles! grin

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

Man was that an intense race at Norisring Tuesday. Never a dull moment. Started out with one-ups-man-ship in qualifying. I knew any of the top Div-1 qualifiers was capable of the pole, and I think each one of us had it briefly during qualifying. I just happen to get the last one in before the race. That was important for me because it gave me a clean shot at T1 on the start. Lucky for me I had a good start. Got through T1 without over cooking it and was able to lay down some clean laps without any close calls.

But, fast man Joe Miller was on a roll and laid down some barn burner laps himself.. slowly catching up. He got close enough in the first half of the race, the only thing keeping us from changing spots was the Yin and Yang of each other's fast and slow zones. I focused the best I could and the laps went by racing each other thru the field with a slight gap back and forth thru traffic. Once we got into the fuel pit window, Joe took an early pit strategy. The track was so busy I did not pay attention to our gap afterwards. I just hoped my pit late and take little fuel strategy would be equal or better. Well it might have been equal if I had performed it precise enough. But I made a few small errors slowing me up. With a 10 second gap to make up once I came out of the pits, I new it was going to be hard to regain the time lost. But similar to Frank trying to hang with Josh, I gave it a hell of a try. Every lap counted. Some laps closed the gap almost a second, while others where just a few tenths. Working our way thru traffic there were a few laps where Joe had a few slips and worse timing with others. By the last lap, I was just over a second behind. Joe was careful not to over drive that last lap.. as was I. By time we reached the checkers, I was just a second behind. Similar to my gap behind Jon at Hockenheim. Although I improving with my pit work, I keep coming up just a little short on the win. I guess I'll have to work on that if I am going to win one of these races

Nice wins for Joe and Josh, especially with their pit executions! I think many of us can learn from that. Although the Norisring stadium atmosphere never visually appealed to me, it never disappoints for wheel to wheel action and payback for tweaking the car (gears, suspension, brakes, tires). Thanks to all the drivers throughout the field for their heads up driving, often while sorting out battles of their own. Hope to see you guys at the next race with just as much competition.
    Jon Uyan, aaron page and faspit like this.

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by faspit View Post
    Let me start this, I started the week off badly. Thursday afternoon had to rush my wife to the hospital, she spent 4 days there with Pancreatitis. Got her home Sunday and she is much better now. So that threw my practice schedule out the window, I race the Thursday night Rf2 series here as well so I missed that race then since I wasn't home much plus my bad back and hospital seating I didn't feel up to much driving. So Sunday night I finally got to practice. Let me start off with saying I have never liked this track, ever, never made more than a few laps at best, always taken out at the braking zones by someone over driving, nature of this track. So I took the setup that I got from Jason two weeks ago and tweaked on the gears, the brakes, the cooling and the rear end. My practice was spent by myself during the day and with a couple of Series 1 cars, so Monday was the only time I could see what another series 2 guy was running, it was Jason and I was off pace a lot. Some gear changing and some rear end changing around and I found a good balance for me and was as fast or faster than Jason, for me that is a lot as he has been faster than me all year in all the cars.
    In Practice my FFB stopped working, had to leave and change the ini files with the stock installed ones and it started working again. So I had the fastest times in practice and in Q for Series 2 cars, I felt great. Now to make my strategy, figured to run a touch heavy fuel load to start and lower my pit stop time for fuel. I also planed to let Jason and Josh go since I knew from practice that my fast laps came at a cost, my engine life and tire life. So by following I was able to keep pace at the slower speeds and coast for some of my high RPM aread saving my tires but more importantly saving my engine wear. That worked out great until the pit stops. Jason stopped and was just ahead of me when I came out of the pits, Josh pited later on, but Josh pulled a fast one, Good job Josh, he came out 25 seconds ahead of me. What??? Well let me tell you, I put everything into catching him. I started catching both Jason and Josh by almost a second a lap, I got within 3 seconds of Jason and he got tangled up with someone who I ended up hitting, wow, in the "S" turn all blind. With that I lost 3 seconds to Josh, was up t 13 seconds behind, Well I started cruising hard burning fuel, tires and engine life going faster setting PB laps, well got the 0.00 time left as the gas lite lit up and Josh 6 seconds ahead of me, all 4 tires were red and I was soaking wet.
    Josh played a great hand there Congrads.
    One great race here finally. I don't hate this track as bad anymore. Best group of racers here.
    Incredible week Frank! Glad to see things are looking better for your wife. I hope they continue to improve.

I guess we'll have to get use to the server only showing the top three practice times, regardless of class/division

I thought you and Josh were burning it up out there for Div II power. You looked more methodical, while Josh looked more like a cart racer throwing around the little Bimmer with almost blind abandon. They say loose is fast. I agree, if you can keep it under you during all race conditions.

I think the upcoming Salzburgring circuit has a similar squeezed loop shape to the Norisring. But, it has more generous curves and a little more change in elevation. Should be another close and intense race.
    faspit likes this.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Sorry for the lack of screenshots and such. Long week last week, filled with grueling work and too few hours of rest. I essentially burned out for a few days.
    Getting back in my head now and will try to get them up today sometime and a post race report as well.

Got to get some practice in as well. Thank heavens it's finally raining, an excuse to rest and take care of some of this stuff....and perhaps my lawn will shape back up. Nearly a month with no rain really took it's toll. Add the fading and drying leaves to that equation and it's a timebomb! YIKES! Very glad for the rain today.
    faspit likes this.