• 2 Post By Joe Miller

Thread: Nordschleife (Eagles) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Nordschleife (Eagles) Post Race Data and Discussion

Official Results

Replay

General Standings

Seniors Standings

The 4th race of the 1966 Gurney Eagles Tribute Series took place at the world famous Nordschleife on October 25th, 2017.
    10 brave drivers took the grid to await the signal to green in what would be exciting and demanding race.
    Resident fast man and 2nd place qualifier, Al Canal, took the early lead after a bit of a slow start from pole man Jason Whited.

The early jockeying for position was intense. All drivers taking into account the serious lack of ability to find overtaking areas on this course, it makes sense to desire an early advantage and some breathing room, if possible.

Seniors contenders Ed Jones and Frank Speer in an early battle for position as the field starts to sort itself a bit.

Nearing the end of the 3rd lap Whited takes advantage of the wonderful drafting ability of the Eagle and takes the lead from Canal.

Whited, Canal, Miller. This order would run 1, 2, and 3 until Canal makes a costly mistake that would end his chances at the front.

Joe Miller took a momentary lead after this serious piece of driving

But a series of small mishaps would see Whited back in the lead.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

I can only post 10 images here (in a single post).
    If you'd like to see more images from the race check out this link to my imgur, which includes many of our past races here as well, with screens that I wasn't able to post because of said limitations. Sometimes it gets hard to choose as there are often times so many moments throughout the field of drivers that are noteworthy and screenshot worthy.
    Last edited by Joe Miller; 11-14-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

Jason, congratulations on a fantastic win. Having followed you for a bit in qualifying, it looked like you really had this car/track combination down.

Unfortunately, I did something that I am not proud of - I retired a healthy car due to a lack of motivation. This car is easily one of the best the best rFactor mods I have ever driven, however, I feel it is time to focus more on sports car/touring cars than open wheel because my dream would be to actually race/do track days with those sort of cars, even if just for recreation. While I do enjoy open wheel racing (and will still race this discipline of car as a whole offline and in other events here and there), the fact of the matter is I'm scared to $#$ to push these cars to the limit and do not plan on ever actually driving an open wheel race car after seeing what happened to the likes of Dan Wheldon, Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson (RIP). Hence, I will be missing the rest of the Eagle races this season but still will be around in DRM - my plan is to focus on the sports car half of the league to improve my craft and make select open wheel races from now unless I can manage two series better than I currently am right now.

Wow! What. A. Race!!!

I'll edit this a bit later with a personal post race, but for now a little bump won't hurt

aaron page is offline Established Member

Congrats on the win, Jason!

For me, this track is a serious challenge to my memory power. It's so long that if my attention is diverted for some reason or another, I forget exactly where I am on this long circuit, and have a choice between slowing down until I get my bearings or trying to punch a hole in the wall. Since I was nearly a minute off pace, slowing down wasn't much of an option, so I took the second. After a fun first lap exchanging minor mistakes with Ed, he went into the pits, apparently for a drive-through. I was thinking, "Now's the time to get some space on him" and did so only a few turns later by smashing into a wall. The rest of that lap felt like it took 20 minutes, but it was probably only nineteen. But this track has beaten me every time I've run it, and I was damned if I was going to dnf again. So in that respect, I won my battle, crossing for the checkers bruised, battered, and a lap down. The next time I race here, I want to do so on a motorcycle!

Congrats to all who tackled, what is it called, "The green hell?" grin

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

Grats Jason, and all of you who finished the beast!

"In Order To Finish First, You Must First Finish"
    -See You On Track!

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Cohn View Post

Unfortunately, I did something that I am not proud of - I retired a healthy car due to a lack of motivation.

Hence, I will be missing the rest of the Eagle races this season but still will be around in DRM - my plan is to focus on the sports car half of the league to improve my craft and make select open wheel races from now unless I can manage two series better than I currently am right now.

WOW... you always seemed like one of our more enthusiastic drivers. Its hard to believe you have lost motivation to race. OTOH, if there is any place one could lose motivation, its running the Nordschleife. Its such a long and daunting course. The race is more about racing the track than each other. Its always good to have MNRL veterans like yourself on the grid, whenever you can make it. Glad to see that you will still be racing sports cars full time!

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

I knew things were going to be interesting when I was qualifying and kept seeing Jason's name as the time leader in my HUD. He took on the speed and craft of both Al and Joe and came out on top. He stayed within his control, which was obviously quite fast with handy control. I did the same and only inherited P3. Considering I had not completed more than 3 consecutive laps without damage during practice and completed the race with only a few bobbles and near misses, I'll take that as a personal victory of sorts.

Grats to both podiums and all drivers that finished the race with a car still rolling. I said it after the race, but would still like to congratulate Jason on a very impressive win! I guess all that new gear he got has enabled some masked skills. Should make for some even more interesting races in the future

Well, what to say?
    ...man, that was intense.

Still can't believe I managed to pull that one out, I really thought Joe had me after the pass in the kink on the backstretch. Didn't think I'd find a way back by him.

After watching the replay, it appears to me that I was running a lot stiffer than many others? Looks like everyone (especially Al) was running pretty soft. Lots of sparks and such. I was running really low ride heights but wasn't bottoming out the same so it must have been the spring rates.
    Seems to have helped...and initially I was also approaching this place, as I normally do, with a soft suspension setup in mind. However, mid week I changed that and went really stiff then backed it off until I found a nice balance. The proof that it helped was in the times I was able to produce and also in how comfortable I felt being able to chuck the Eagle around.

Probably here, more than anywhere else, as I mentioned before....I have REALLY high expectations for myself.
    I've literally poured hundreds of hours of my life into this course in various cars (mostly offline. I used this track to learn this craft. Countless hours with the AI, over and over again till I got it right).....in many ways, this track feels like "home" to me. And, I would consider it my "home" track.
    For a "race track" (if one can call it that) it's about as close to these old backwoods winding roads that you'll ever get...and that's where I initially found a passion for driving on the edge....illegally, on these old backroads (oops...hehe)

So, I have high expectations here for me.....
    ...but, I take a look at the competition and realize there is just as much passion for this track and these cars as I have in others.

To be able to actually compete with the likes of Joe and Al up front here.....to be able to pressure such pros. Man, no better feeling.

But Brettte, you're jinxing me now...lol. All this equipment equals speed talk...expectations...
    I don't work well under pressure, man!!! lol (half kidding, but not about the pressure part. I generally fall apart under pressure, or at least I feel I do. Apparently not as much as I think/thought...but I know I do sometimes)

I'll not speak much about the actual race. The replay is there for everyone to check out if interested.

What I will say is this.....
    Ever since day one of my online sim racing "career", I've dreamed of Nordschleife races with human drivers that could put my own skills to the test. That very thing is the ONLY reason I ever initially sought out online sim racing and gave it a chance. I was seeking ONLY to find Nordschleife races (of course, I found so much more, but that's besides the point)....

That sort of faded as I became more engaged here and elsewhere and started really getting into the racing as a whole. But in the back of my mind, it's always there. I CRAVE this track....I'm addicted to it. I can sit and lap this place for hours on end...."just one more lap, just one more second...I KNOW I can go faster...just got to do it"...next thing I know it's midnight and I've spent hours doing this over and over again.

To be able to have a race as exciting as this with those I view some of the most professional sim racers I know of...that in and of itself is a victory.
    Of course, I fought to win...but I find more joy in the battles than the numbers at the end.

...perhaps one day I'll tell you all what sim racing really means to me. What finding this place and you guys did for me. How it's literally changed my life. How I can't even explain that to people outside of this setting. They'd never understand how "video games" can impact a life in such a way...hell, perhaps I don't even understand it fully (I get all teary eyed and sheet just writing this here).....and perhaps I'll never pour it out onto these forums in it's entirety. Truthfully, much of the context I'd need to add is tough...and I've not always been the greatest person for a variety of reasons.

I could spend the next hour elaborating on that, but I won't. I'll leave it at that, cut off in mid sentence as I go try to "man up" again and get these teary eyes dried.

It was an amazing race that I'll never forget. Easily top 3 (if not top) in my list of races, ever.
    Thanks for the good, clean, hard fought racing.

Grats to the other podium guys and all finishers.
    (Aaron, respect for dragging your broken car around and finding a personal victory in that. There is always a silver lining and you always seem to find it. Your optimize is refreshing)

Ed Jones is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    Congrats on the win, Jason!

For me, this track is a serious challenge to my memory power. It's so long that if my attention is diverted for some reason or another, I forget exactly where I am on this long circuit, and have a choice between slowing down until I get my bearings or trying to punch a hole in the wall. Since I was nearly a minute off pace, slowing down wasn't much of an option, so I took the second. After a fun first lap exchanging minor mistakes with Ed, he went into the pits, apparently for a drive-through. I was thinking, "Now's the time to get some space on him" and did so only a few turns later by smashing into a wall. The rest of that lap felt like it took 20 minutes, but it was probably only nineteen. But this track has beaten me every time I've run it, and I was damned if I was going to dnf again. So in that respect, I won my battle, crossing for the checkers bruised, battered, and a lap down. The next time I race here, I want to do so on a motorcycle!

Congrats to all who tackled, what is it called, "The green hell?" grin
    I agree Aaron, it's hard to keep track of whats coming next on the "green hell", and maybe it's worse for us old-timers. I often find myself slowing a bit, not absolutely certain if the next corner is the the one I think it is. And oh yeah, I definitely want to be there for the motorcycle race. Congrats on managing to finish the race!

I smacked the wall on the fast right-hand turn after you come up the hill and got some damage. It actually helped the car turn right, but the left turns were a nightmare. So I decided to pit after lap 1 to fix the damage. Luckily it only took 10 seconds. I lost about 3 mph off my fastball but the handling was a lot better after the fix. Caught back up to Aaron soon after when he hit the wall and after that pretty much raced by myself for the rest of the race. The last 15 minutes or so Jon was chasing me down and closing the gap between us but I was able to minimize my mistakes and hold him off. One more lap and he likely would have had me.

Congratulations to Jason for the big win, and Joe and Brette for their podiums!

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

aaron page and Ed Jones like this.