Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Mosport (Formula A) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Mosport (Formula A) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 03-01-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Bruno Chacon is offline Junior Member

A better race than I expected!
    I started the race for consistency. I was overtaken by 4 cars on the first lap, always trying to escape the confusion.
    I kept a safe pace, always turning between 1:18 and 1:19 and often making safe turns around 1:17.
    It was a very quiet race, with no mistakes and no mistakes.
    In the end, the cars that were in front of me were making mistakes and I was passing by.
    Too bad that my country's summer time ended so late, I wish I had participated since the start of that championship.

Boring “Sunday Drive” for me. I was not allowed to race, so I just tooled around for fun. Hope I didn’t hold any of you up too badly.
    Kurt Stevens

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

Sorry to miss this one, but hope everyone had fun!
    Jason Whited likes this.

-See You On Track!

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Solid pole and race by Jason, congrats man! I thought I'd be able to battle with you for the lead, and we did for the first few laps--side-by-side twice at least...but Joe got into the back of me braking for Moss and I lost contact. Rejoined a bit more'n five seconds back and cut it to three with 30 min left. It ebbed and flowed after that as we both hit traffic, and I had a momentary off when someone left the game (that lag thing when the entry/exit announcements seem to hang).

Then coming into Moss about lap 25 I had an "almost real" automotive failure when my brake pedal suddenly went from brick-hard to soft-mush. Probably pumped it once or twice rapid-fire, but couldn't quite make the turn and ended up just off in the gravel. I was trying to back on again when I conceded that I wasn't going anywhere anyway without brakes, so that was that.

Some may recall I run a DIY hydraulic brake with a pressure sensor stuck onto the side (via a few plumbing fittings) of a single circuit racing master cylinder, and, sure enough, I looked in with a flashlight and can see brake fluid blown all over the inside of the cylinder well (gee...just like REAL except that in real life I'd have TWO brake fluid circuits, and not just the one). So I'm sidelined completely until I can get it all apart and a replacement in place. It lasted ten years, and only recently has been having issues--first the circuit board, and a worn pivot bearing, until blowing a gasket completely, so I can't complain--stuff breaks. Even brakes break.

I have several complete replacements somewhere in a box around here, all purchased off ebay ($33 for all of them) when a garage went out of business, but I have a feeling it won't be easy to find.

I'll put up a post-mortem shot or two just for grins once I get time to start repairs. Moral: No real reason to go "wet" when "dry" load-cell pedals (like Clubsports) are now available*...and hydraulic fluid is a good paint remover (but oil is probably just as messy otherwise, so pic yer poison if you have to go for realism).

[* They weren't when I built this many years ago]

I'll be back again at some point, I'm sure.

aaron page is offline Established Member

Congrats on the win, Jason!

As for me, I wanted to finish without blowing up the car for a change, so I made a very conservative setup. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong 2nd gear, which plagued me all night. But the race started with some fun laps with Frank, who soon figured out that my gearing was such that I was very slow in the first part of the back straight and off the final turn. But he was having trouble in the turn before that, and so I was able to stay in front of him. I had a few lonely laps, then caught up with Nick, and he, too, was killing me onto the back straight, so I had a lot of fun trying to catch up for the rest of the lap. He had a very minor off, and I got the spot, and not long afterward he disappeared -- I'll have to see what happened there via the replay. Then Gilles caught up with me, after making a pit stop (!), and after just a lap he decided to pass me at the end of the back straight. "No way is THAT going to work," I thought, so I backed off a bit, and damned if he didn't pull it off. Nice pass, Gilles! More lonely laps were next, then I caught up with Scott, and that was a battle royale! Scott, that was a ton of fun racing with you, bud.

The only thing that irritated me in this race was if you were shown a blue flag, you had maybe two turns at most to get passed, or you were threatened with a penalty. That doesn't give you much time to signal your intentions, and makes it hard to pick a spot when getting passed to do so smoothly. Fortunately, that bad 2nd gear choice of mine made it obvious for folks to pick a spot to lap me.

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    The only thing that irritated me in this race was if you were shown a blue flag, you had maybe two turns at most to get passed, or you were threatened with a penalty. That doesn't give you much time to signal your intentions, and makes it hard to pick a spot when getting passed to do so smoothly. Fortunately, that bad 2nd gear choice of mine made it obvious for folks to pick a spot to lap me.
    I'm going to see if I can change that on the server.
    jham and Christopher Snow like this.

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

I set the server to show blue flags but never penalize. It was set to follow the RFM. Should be good now.

The Blue should never be a Command Flag.
    Kurt Stevens

Scott Beck is offline Rothmans Racing

Last night was a really fun race. Car worked perfect and felt great. At this point in the season I'm basically racing for points. I was second to Denis until Tony had a really good race and kicked my butt. Good going man.

Aaron and I had some really good racing laps near the end. That was the most fun I've had racing someone in a long time. We were really going at it. Really clean great racing Aaron. I just love it when you can race someone that close and know nothing silly is going to happen.

Congrats to Jason for the win, and thanks.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast