• 5 Post By Joe Miller
  • 4 Post By Joe Miller

Thread: Monaco (Eagles) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Default Monaco (Eagles) Post Race Data and Discussion

Official results

Replay

Seniors Points Standings

On Tuesday, October 10th 2017 a short list of brave drivers tested themselves against one of the toughest street circuits in the world.
    Here at Monaco, other drivers are simply added distractions that take focus from the ultimate enemy (or friend).....the track itself!
    Only 9 drivers would make the journey to Monaco for the starting orders.

Pole man, Al Canal, gained the early advantage after taking the lead into turn 1.

Others jockeying for early top 5 positions and nearly everyone outside the top 5 very quickly found themselves in a precarious situation as Whited nearly causes an incident after shutting the door late on Mark Carty. :O

Al Canal would continue to hold an early lead with Miller and Brooks applying nonstop pressure for the first part of the race.

Eventual race winner, Joe Miller, having "a moment" while trying to continue the pressure on Al Canal. (Nice save!)

As the fight wore on, Canal lost the lead to Miller after an incident which would see him fall back, but considering the 3 pit stops it took to correct the damages/issues Canal was still able to cling on to 4th place in the end. Miller capitalized on that mistake and eventually put a substantial gap between himself and the rest of the field.

Seniors winner (and the only Seniors Division driver to score points this week) Aaron Page found his first win of the 1966 Gurney Eagles Tribute Series and gained many valuable points in the seniors championship.
    Last edited by Joe Miller; 10-24-2017 at 11:19 PM.

aaron page is offline Established Member

Good Lord, I was the only one who got seniors' points this week? Well, that makes up for the race I missed, for sure. That is one good reason for my showing up, but another is that, as much as this track scares me, I actually finished a race there for the first time. But it wasn't pretty. Grazed the wall in T1 L1 trying to find Nick in my mirrors (the renaming of the file to mirrors.bmp didn't help, so I changed the plr file to read "2" in the mirrors line -- guess next week I'll eliminate the file altogether, as per the readme). Nick passed, but I got by later that lap when he went wide, then returned the favor when I knocked my nose off. Suddenly Nick dropped out of my mirrors (such as they were) and I figured he either hit a wall or got a disco; I'll know once I watch the replay. I got by Gilles a lap or so later, only to brake too hard and too late at the end of the back straight on lap 5 which caused a screenshot-worthy crash, I'm sure. After pitting, it became a 'survival' race for me, and I was determined to finish. I think Brette was the only one I held up while being lapped (sorry bud, I was relying on the hud), and I finished on my own lap. It wasn't a particularly fun race for me, but it was satisfying, and I really wish more folks (especially back packers) had shown up, making the track more crowded. Congrats to those who did well in the race, and a "pfthhhhhh" to those who thought "Monaco, no way, man!"
    grin

Brette Brooks is offline New Member - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    I think Brette was the only one I held up while being lapped (sorry bud, I was relying on the hud), and I finished on my own lap. It wasn't a particularly fun race for me, but it was satisfying, and I really wish more folks (especially back packers) had shown up, making the track more crowded. Congrats to those who did well in the race, and a "pfthhhhhh" to those who thought "Monaco, no way, man!"
    grin
    No problem Aaron. There isn't much room to get of the way for others at Monaco. Like you say, the track was not that crowded, so getting around was easier than some races I have run there. In fact, I thank you and the other drivers dealing with Monaco damage for being aware and accommodating within your car's limitations. Thanks for racing. I think this puts you on the level with Ed for seniors points now. If Bruno has Tuesday conflicts henceforth, it could be you two fighting for the seniors championship. Of course Frank could make it interesting if his team replaces the Westlake V-12 with a ZR-1 V8.

For me, it was kind of like what Jason said in pre-race. The primary goal was keeping the car off the walls so I could drive it all the way to the finish without stopping. I succeeded remarkably well at that goal with only a few minor grazes on the car. The only consolation was I did not feel comfortable pushing the car 10/10ths because of the track limitations. Due to some problems others had behind me, that made for a fairly lonely race. But I did have to maintain a decent pace as Jason wasn't poking about behind. With a decent but shrinking gap, I had to work to keep it that way. Hats off to Al and Joe for pushing each other so hard. Al raised the bar for all of us. But Joe got the best of that one. It makes the championship points race even more interesting.

Hope to see you guys at the next race. Where I'll back at 10/10s from here on.
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 10-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    Good Lord, I was the only one who got seniors' points this week? Well, that makes up for the race I missed, for sure. That is one good reason for my showing up, but another is that, as much as this track scares me, I actually finished a race there for the first time. But it wasn't pretty. Grazed the wall in T1 L1 trying to find Nick in my mirrors (the renaming of the file to mirrors.bmp didn't help, so I changed the plr file to read "2" in the mirrors line -- guess next week I'll eliminate the file altogether, as per the readme). Nick passed, but I got by later that lap when he went wide, then returned the favor when I knocked my nose off. Suddenly Nick dropped out of my mirrors (such as they were) and I figured he either hit a wall or got a disco; I'll know once I watch the replay. I got by Gilles a lap or so later, only to brake too hard and too late at the end of the back straight on lap 5 which caused a screenshot-worthy crash, I'm sure. After pitting, it became a 'survival' race for me, and I was determined to finish. I think Brette was the only one I held up while being lapped (sorry bud, I was relying on the hud), and I finished on my own lap. It wasn't a particularly fun race for me, but it was satisfying, and I really wish more folks (especially back packers) had shown up, making the track more crowded. Congrats to those who did well in the race, and a "pfthhhhhh" to those who thought "Monaco, no way, man!"
    grin
    Congrats!
    faspit likes this.

"In Order To Finish First, You Must First Finish"
    -See You On Track!

Chuck Napoli is offline Established Member

Yeah, I've been one of those MIA's for a while. Trying to get in as much of the things I need to get done along with some other activities while the weather has been holding at a decent temp and before the real bogus weather sets in. It's a loooong winter season here and tends to also be very wet over the last couple of years. I WILL be back to race probably by the beginning of Nov or the start of the next series. I am also hoping to have a faster internet in a short while as well. Gonna be switching from this sh*tty DSL I have had for over the last 8 or 9 years to cable internet. I only pull down 3 Mbps at 50 bucks a month right now so I am getting just slightly faster than dial up for a steep price. BTW: I still do check on here to see race results and comments in threads when I can, so I have been lurking in the background. So, for you other "old guys", you will have one of your number (and a back-marker to boot) back for probably the beginning of the next series.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

So I've been a no-show for a few weeks too. Mostly RL stuff that has kept me busy; hoping to be back for the DRMs next week and then what will be my second attempt at the Eagles the week after. Been lurking like Chuck, jealous of the fun but glad not to be causing mayhem given the lack of practice that I would have been able to put together.
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

Gilles Lalonde is offline Established Member

That was one heck of an exercise in self control... which I failed.

Sorry for my frustrated barge out there guys, with the small grid, it was my chance to move up in the championship, I just had to finish.
    On top of just finishing, a few guys with more points fell off... I was going to move up big.
    A quarter into it, I had ripped a wheel off at the Chicane du Port but managed to rally the pit where to my surprise, the car was repaired and due to the misfortunes of other, I manged to climb up to 5th
    With 6 minutes to go, I bent the car real bad. Braking became a juggling act and I went around at Tabac. With the car pointing the wrong way, it was so bent up, I could not get it to spin around. It was turning about 45 degrees and hitting the railing on the other side. 45 to the left, 45 to the right, boinc, boinc... it DQed me.

Zero points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0kflMMp8po
    Jason Whited and faspit like this.

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

I really surprised myself by doing well here. I didn't have much practice because I have been busy and I have a problem with my arm. I'm not sure what is going on with it, tennis elbow or something. Anyway I had a blast keeping up with Al until lap 17 when he bounced the wall going up the hill and damaged his car. On the same lap coming out of the tunnel Al bounced off the wall right in front of me, which almost ended my race. I was all puckered up as I approached the chicane sideways after my evasive maneuvers. After that I just concentrated on the track and managed to to bring it home in one piece.

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

Marc Cohn, burmcat, faspit and 1 others like this.