Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: missing player file

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Default missing player file

Hopefully I can narrate this without being too confusing yet give enough info to be useful.

All I want to do is edit some rFactor chats so they match what I have in my rFactor 2 install but I can't find my player file. My rFactor (the original game) is in C: Program Files whereas my Steam version of rFactor 2 is in C: Program Files (x86) When I go into Program Files/rFactor/User Data there are only 2 folders in there, Controller and Screen Shots, and there are some .svm files. Should my player be in there, too? If not, where do I find it? Again, all I want to do is edit some quick chats.

Thanks

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Tom try in -> Steam/Steamapps/common/rfactor/Userdata/Tom Nasella

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Seems the file path isn't right.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor\UserData\Jaso n Whited\Jason Whited (the plr file itself)

That's what it should look like. Being through Steam, your file path should look very similar to that.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Have you found it as per Jason's path?

Or, since the rfactor.exe is not set to Administrator, it created your user in C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor
    Replace "YOUR NAME" with your Windows user name.

Try both, rFactor with and without a DOT " . " before. DotFile are usually hidden. Your Windows Explorer needs to be set to Show Hidden Files and Folders in File Explorer Options.
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 12-12-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 20gigs on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running an Asus 560GTX (1gig) on an new AOC Q2963 screen... I'm doing way better! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

You should have two other folders within the UserData folder - LOG & one with your name on it. Obviously, the LOG folder has files that keep track of the player profile you create.

Seems like no player profile exits.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by jham View Post
    You should have two other folders within the UserData folder - LOG & one with your name on it. Obviously, the LOG folder has files that keep track of the player profile you create.

Seems like no player profile exits.
    His name shows up in the game. Whatever profile is being used it will show that name. So, it's got to be there somewhere.
    It possibly being outside the normal path is weird, but possible I guess.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Thanks for all the help.....unfortunately I'm still in a quandry. Taking things from the top.....

My original rFactor (rFactor 1, if you will) is not in Steam. (My rFactor 2 install is) My rFactor 1 is in C:\Program Files.....
    I did as Gilles suggested and changed my name in C:\User\Tom\App Data\Roaming\.rFactor\rFactor (notepad) but I still don't see a player file

Any more suggestions? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thanks for all the help.....unfortunately I'm still in a quandry. Taking things from the top.....

My original rFactor (rFactor 1, if you will) is not in Steam. (My rFactor 2 install is) My rFactor 1 is in C:\Program Files.....
    I did as Gilles suggested and changed my name in C:\User\Tom\App Data\Roaming\.rFactor\rFactor (notepad) but I still don't see a player file

Any more suggestions? Thanks again
    Yeah, don't think it will work simply changing the name like that.

Need to go back to square one and trace the file path. I think you're getting ahead of yourself renaming stuff and whatnot.

Question 1. Most important. Are you using the Steam version of rFactor? Do you have to be logged into Steam to access the game?
    Your player file exists, somewhere. It has to, else you would not be entering the server (like last night) with your name. Actually, I don't even think it's possible to go to a track offline without a player profile in place. When you first install the game and open it for the first time, it's one of the first things it asks you to do. I don't think it can't be bypassed.

So, it has to exist on your system.

Have you tried going into the game and setting up a new profile, then searching for it in your files? If not, try that.
    If you are able to create a new profile, take it offline to a track of your choosing...let everything load...then back out and search for it in your files.

If you can't find it then...I believe you are either overlooking it (not likely) or are looking in the wrong place inadvertently.

Program files (x86) rather than program files.
    In the program files folders there is an rFactor folder sometimes...usually empty though. I don't know it's use.

What does this file path look like.

program files(x86)/Steam/Steam Apps/common ......what are the next folders after you click the "common" folder. If rFactor is running through Steam, it HAS to be here. Won't work otherwise.
    If not there, then it's not Steam version...but again, that's the primary question.

Don Fryman is offline Resident Pawn Broker

Have you tried doing a simple search of your entire drive for *.plr (been so long since I have dealt with rF1 I believe that is the player file ext.)
    The * is a wildcard and will show all files with the .plr extension and should show the file you are looking plus where it's at.
    Jason Whited likes this.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fryman View Post
    Have you tried doing a simple search of your entire drive for *.plr (been so long since I have dealt with rF1 I believe that is the player file ext.)
    The * is a wildcard and will show all files with the .plr extension and should show the file you are looking plus where it's at.
    That should work.
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast