Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Kyalami Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is online now Community Leader

Default Kyalami Post Race Data and Discussion

Official Results

Replay

General Standings

Seniors Points Standings

The start of the 1966 Gurney Eagle Tribute Series got underway at the Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit in South Africa on 9/12/2017.
    16 drivers blasted off at the first sign of green lights, in what would be a thrilling race for some and a lonely ride for others.

Pole man Al Canal got off to a great start and was the first to round turn 1.

Others were not as fortunate in the first section of corners. Here we see Whited trying to climb in the cockpit with Chacon.

The dispute for the top spot got underway in a hurry as Canal, Miller, Brooks, and Cohn were all looking for an early lead.

Many others throughout the field were also trying to find a spot to settle in early in the race.

Some were not so lucky and what was a nice back and forth between Speer and Whited nearer the back of the pack ended in fireworks for Speer.

Chacon contesting the #1 spot in the seniors division. He would eventually get by Jones and go on to take the seniors top spot while finishing a solid P5 overall.

Eventual winner Joe Miller taking the checkered after a long and hard fought dispute with Canal.
    Last edited by Jason Whited; 09-13-2017 at 09:22 PM.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

Well, I claim best bog of the race! Used the paddles instead of the shifter, blew the engine. Race over. LOOOVE Kyalami :}
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

faspit is offline Frank Speer

After a good start made it to T2 before being the middle of a sardine sandwich, came back on when the road cleared up, raced back up to T-bone another car that lost it at the top of the main straight. Pit and fixed suspension and body and off I went. Did great with the setup that Joe helped me out with, comfortable to drive and stable. After some fun with Jason I finally went out in a blaze of glory igniting the oil as it spilled out of the engine. It was awesome looking in my mirrors.
    I found no fault by anyone, just good hard racing and bad luck, enjoyed every lap, but I remember this track from my old days when this mod was new. Fun Times as usual with this group.

Quote Originally Posted by faspit View Post
    After some fun with Jason I finally went out in a blaze of glory igniting the oil as it spilled out of the engine. It was awesome looking in my mirrors.

A spectacular fireworks display. Awesome looking from my seat as well.
    Definitely a screenshot of that one going in the mix.
    Marc Cohn and faspit like this.

Bruno Chacon is offline Junior Member

For me, everything seemed lost in the second corner, I took strokes from all sides ... hehehe
    I kept the focus and accelerated with everything. I was adapting to the crooked car and chasing who was ahead. Good fights with ED, Gilles and Mark until you make a small mistake and lose 3 positions. I had to paddle all over again and score the 3 and start the duels with Ed and Mark to the final flag. It was not easy! A huge pressure of Mark and Ed on my tail all the time, just waiting for my mistake to take my ice cream..hehehe
    Jason Whited, faspit and Ed Jones like this.

aaron page is offline Established Member

How I can get through all the mayhem on lap one, and lose it on lap two is a mystery. I braked too hard into t1, lap 2, bounced off the right rail, climbed over Jason's rf, took down 2 fences, then hit the left wall. Jason, really sorry about that, I know it hosed up your race big time (I saw the tire drag marks going to the pits). The best I could do was stay out after a long pit stop, let folks try to use me as a pick, then give Jason somebody to chase (to lap) in the final laps. sigh
    Jason Whited, faspit and Ed Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    How I can get through all the mayhem on lap one, and lose it on lap two is a mystery. I braked too hard into t1, lap 2, bounced off the right rail, climbed over Jason's rf, took down 2 fences, then hit the left wall. Jason, really sorry about that, I know it hosed up your race big time (I saw the tire drag marks going to the pits). The best I could do was stay out after a long pit stop, let folks try to use me as a pick, then give Jason somebody to chase (to lap) in the final laps. sigh
    hehe...No problem Aaron, I was already damaged from my own incident in T2 and was struggling to get the car around to the pits anyways. The punctured right front was just icing on the cake.

I screwed up...misjudged Bruno ahead of me going through T2, gave him a little tap and while trying to keep from completely running over him I got off track left and into the wall. Fairly heavy damage, bent steering...
    Magically though, the pit crew was working fast. 23 seconds and I was on my way. They did a good job fixing the car. Steering back to normal, all tires a go. Some laps later I managed to spin again and knock off the front wing (car was pushing from the body damage, I guess..it was a struggle)....top speed was back to normal after that, but the car was a handful, especially when I'd reach said top speed on the long front straight. At the top of the hill it's a good thing I wasn't wheel to wheel with anyone most of the race. I was being chucked across half the track with no way to stop it. Like driving a tractor.

It was a hell race for me. Torture almost. lol....Self imposed as I rode it out instead of quiting out from frustrating (only myself to blame).
    Later on Frank and Gilles gave me some fun. We took turns half spinning and running off, overtaking each other. Many laps that went on. It was a bright spot in the storm I was apparently engulfed in.
    Then Frank blew up and Gilles fell back and I was just counting the seconds till race completion. Honestly could not wait to see that checkered flag.
    Man, it's got to be torturous in the real world to be forced to log laps after incidents that put you out of contention.

But, when you're up you're up. When you're down you're down. So it goes....

Onward bound!

Screens and race report will be posted later this evening. Busy with some work right now and ran out of energy last night.
    Apologies for the delay...but, this isn't necessarily an exact science. So, just have to bear with me on it.
    Marc Cohn and faspit like this.

Luis Almeida is offline Member

A stupid mistake made me step on the grass and hit the barriers hard... Game over!

Ed Jones is offline Junior Member

I have to admit I was a little leery about these cars. Frankly they worry me a little bit and I thought I might be dangerous in an actual racing situation with them. I got stuck behind Matt at the start and there were some close calls when I caught back up to the field but I managed to gain several positions positions in the opening laps. I spent much of the rest of the race trying to fend off Bruno but he eventually got by me going into turn 1. I'm not sure if I'm any less scared of these cars, but it was a fun race.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast