Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Interlagos ('75 F1) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

I was surprised that I got the pole for this race. I was sure Jason was going to beat my time at any moment.
    I didn't get a good start because I was paraniod about doing engine damage and I bogged it a little. I had blown my engine twice in practice.
    Jason Passed me and took off to about a 3 second lead. Until I got a little loose and gave him another 3 seconds. I was determined to keep my rear tires below 200 degrees so I didn't push too hard to try and catch him. I just wanted to keep him in sight until the end. Then hopefully I would have enough rear tires left to make a run.
    About half way I was making some gains, slowly cutting into his lead. I got within 1.5 seconds and that's when Jason got one tire up on the curb an launched himself across the track strait into the rail. From that point on, I just concentrated on keeping the gap between Brette's car and my car, while doing my best to keep the rear tires cool. It was a real challenge on this very difficult track. The car was super loose on the last lap and a half but I managed to bring it home with out spinning or blowing the engine.
    Last edited by Joe Miller; 05-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    aaron page and Brette Brooks like this.

aaron page is offline Established Member

First off, congrats to Joe on his convincing win, and Peter on his senior win. How the heck you guys got all that speed in this track/mod combo is beyond me.
    Second, Angelo, Jason said he'd be sure your car would still be here, but I have heard rumors of clandestine activity going on in your garage area. Something about "Midnight Auto Supply..."

But, wow, what a race in the back pack. I started right behind Tony, and when he didn't move, I thought it was a disco, and went around (btw, isn't the default auto-ignition, but you have to be in neutral and give it a bit of gas? If not, let me know, so that I map something, too!). I lost a couple of positions due to this, but soon caught up with Tom, who was giving Bruno full mirrors as he tried to find a way around him. Tom did eventually make the pass, but later hooked a curb, I guess, and Bruno and I passed him. Now it was MY time to race Bruno, and we had the kind of race that makes me glad to have stuck around with this mod. With very smart driving he kept me behind him, as he was so much better with straight line speed that he could build a small lead on me for lap after lap. But I had taken one of Brette's setups (thanks again, my friend) and added wing, which gave me the edge in all the curvy parts of the track. I did eventually get by, but Bruno was never far behind. Then Jerry came back from an off behind Bruno, and I thought, "Cool, maybe they'll keep busy racing each other, and I'll get to sneak away." But I made a mistake with about 2 to go, had an off that didn't cost me any position, but gave me a lap slow enough for Joe to lap me (rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr), and I finished just ahead of Brette on the track (but not in standings).

All in all, a fun race, and I accomplished my goal of not melting another engine.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOverton View Post
    more like for me. should not have even bothered to show up.
    Sorry to hear that Matthew. Looked like an unlucky break on track. What I don't understand is what happened when you exited the pits? Did all that effort not fix your car? Or did you just feel like it would be too lonely a drive at that point?

Either way, I give you a lot of credit for trying and would bet you would have had an interesting race had it not been for that early damage. Thanks for joining us. Hope you don't give up on these interesting cars!

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Interesting result at Interlagos, considering a very slow start. I want to apologize to Dennis and Matthew for the sluggish start. It was a similar experience to the Monza test race. I was trying to be careful by not over-revving the engine ahead of time. And then when it was time to get the revs up there seemed to be a very delayed and diminished response to my throttle inputs. I'll have to try this out more offline before the next race. At the very least I will be ramping it up a lot earlier next time.

Sluggish start aside, I was able to get up to pace fairly quickly.. losing only a few spots on the opening lap. Regaining those spots in the ensuing laps turned out to be the closest racing I've had in this mod so far. I had a few lucky breaks initially. Like Joe, I wanted to protect my tire temps as best possible. But I also wanted to keep enough pace to be ready to take advantage of any opportunities that might arise ahead. While rocket man Jason and second wind Joe were slowly pulling ahead, the real challenge came from behind in a yellow blurrr driven by fast man Dennis. Dennis had great pace and was pushing hard early. He was drafting close behind for a few laps. But, I got a few breaks leading up to mid race and started to build a gap. By then, I knew how much I could push it and still maintain the tires. Then we were gifted a spot from the front that made me smile thinking what Angelo and Black Jack would have said if that had happened in real life. OK enough of the virtual experience babble. The main goal was just be consistent and save the engine for the end. My consistency and engine preservation was good enough to bring it home in P2 for the first high finish in a historic F1 mod in a while.

Interesting thing about holding on to P2 was the gap to P3 got bigger in the final laps. Dennis had the pace, but started to dial it back for some reason. High wing settings using too much fuel perhaps? Tire heat issues maybe? Meanwhile, it appears Peter got into a groove and kept after it. And then Peter popped up in P3 with one lap to go. After looking at the race data, it appears Dennis was cutting it close on fuel and was probably trying to make it to the end on what he had. Both drivers strategies seem to pay off. Dennis did finish without pitting for fuel and Peter got a podium by pushing to the very end. Smart drives gents!

After having an unexpected engine failure in B.A. I found Interlagos an even more interesting challenge. Having sorted out the car and track better than before, I found Interlagos more rewarding. A real cool mod with a good historic experience on well modeled tracks. I'm now anxious to take on the next event and hope this event does not curb other's enthusiasm.

CYA next time!
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 05-16-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    HeatCAN and aaron page like this.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

First time racing on this track and I like it a lot. Kinda like a gentle roller coaster. The cars Iím still trying to figure out.

Got lucky at the start by being in the lane without major problems and got past a number of cars. But I knew a bunch of fast guys were going to be looking for a way past on the first lap. Everything went well for the first couple of turns and straights until there was contact with another car that put us both off track. I was able to keep going but had a solo off-track half a lap later and watched Messrs. Page and Chacon go by.

Ran by myself for a while at the back of the pack until lap 7 when Mr. Chacon appeared just ahead. Five laps later he slid a little wide on a slow corner and I snuck by. On the next lap I lost concentration on a straight and wandered off letting him back around. At that point I realized I wasnít really driving the car as much as herding it down the track. My off-track excursions had it floating all over the road worse than a Ď60s station wagon. I was just hoping to hang on.

Somehow Bruno reappeared again, just ahead, on lap 15. But I wasnít sure my car was predictable enough to even try a pass. Luckily, he solved the problem for me by sliding off (it was fun swapping positions with you Bruno ). That put me in 7th and I was just hoping to get to the checker in one piece.

My weird handling car turned out to be the least of my worries. The beautiful Ferrari motor blew itself to bits with a couple laps to go. So I parked on the side of the track and played spectator, watching the race cars go past.

Congratulations to all intrepid race drivers taking the green.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12