Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Goiania (Porsche IROC - AMS) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussions

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Soucy View Post
    Jason W, I didn't check the replay but I have no idea where you went. I went wide, I expected you to pass so I went out wider and got two off on the exit curb. I thought you were next to me the whole straight...
    When you got into the curb, your car sort of lurched back towards me. I saw an opportunity and was going to take it, though I wasn't coming through with the best run at the time. Was going to sort of squeeze by, not leave too much room trying to cut in deeper. ...backfired on me. The impact looks weird on the replay, looks like I hit you in the right rear and literally pushed your car into the ground.
    If I was driving the sim angry I'd say collisions are the one area that could use improvement.

From my seat, it appeared we banged doors slightly. Replay shows my left front hitting....I'll take the in between and imagine it was a sort of glancing blow.
    Anyways, that little bump sent me off track right into the grass like a ping pong ball. Was like I'd been T boned...lol
    Did a couple more loops in the grass trying to rush back onto the track, feel back to P8 or P9.

Was fun while it lasted up there.

After that, spent the rest of my race climbing back up to my P4 finishing position. ...was tough.
    Lots of good fun and battles making my way back.

Felt fortunate to come away with a P4. Until the night before the race I couldn't break 1:34s.
    Finally found it, but was WAY inconsistent and the setup I'd developed for going fast was garbage for long stints. So 2 hours before the race and I'm still struggling.

About then, along came Bruno Chacon....says, here try this setup.
    Applied it, first timed lap.....less than a 0.1 off my fastest time ever ...and FAR more stable
    Was definitely more able to push through after the tires had faded. With my setup, after they heated too much, or faded a bit...I was reduced to chronic understeer in some pivotal sections of the track. Forced to just let the car roll through. Slow! Especially when you're impatient and tend to blip throttle in a bid to hurry the car around, even when you shouldn't (like me).
    With Bruno's set I was able to turn the car on through, even when it said no. And powering on just made her come around that much more, just as I wanted.
    Definitely improved my consistency and overall position in this race, so big thanks to Bruno for that!

Grats to Angelo on the win and the rest of the podium.

Lots of good action out there last night. Really enjoyed watching the replay. The battle between Angelo and Joe was superb to watch and there was door to door action across the board.
    Thanks for the show guys!

...now, onward to VIR. My "home track". Oh....yes!

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

WOW.. that was an intense race at Goiania! Good action though out the field. It was a two fanner for me (one on medium, one on high, and I was still sweating a little with all that cooling power).

I was able to get reasonable speed and grip on fresh tires. So a decent qualy was encouraging. But like some others, my set did not hold up well with tire wear. I made a mistake in that first sharp left hander early on and went wide on the exit. At least three guys went by while I was trying to get the nose headed in the right direction (which was not that obvious until the last guy drove by). Similar to Jason, I spent the rest of the race trying to gain back the positions I lost. As the miles piled on I had to fight the poor LF tire's wear and grip. If that tire could talk, it would have been screaming for mercy.

Having said all that, I didn't have the pace to keep up with the top three or four. In fact, I was having trouble just trying to keep up with Dennis and Jeff as they had a great steady battle going on ahead for many laps. Not until Jason had his ping-pong ball spin did I get a break. As he charged hard back to P4, I was able to catch a draft for several laps that helped put me back in the hunt with Jeff and Dennis. The four of us swapped positions P4 thru P7 several times for a few laps before Dennis had a lazy spin and Jason eventually pulled away. While all this was going on, Tom had been pushing hard to catch up and get a good draft. Eventually he pulled into the battle with Jeff and I the last few laps. We were giving each other space and advantage back and forth thru small errors. With a few laps remaining, we finally came together in a comical exchange of braking and grip loss at the left turn of the infield esses. Tom overshot me on the inside to go wide, I went wide in the confusion bounced over the curb to the left side and had to turn tight in the right esse to recover, only to inadvertently close the gap between us. I feel bad for Jeff because he tried to shoot thru that gap and ended up spinning off into the nearby Armco. Might have been worse for him in real life. But he recovered quickly and got back in line behind Tom. After all, Dennis was catching up to all of us and we were all holding on for whatever we could.

That was some fun close racing. Funny part about it was the more my front end pushed with others close behind, the more I would lean over in my chair (as if to will the car more turning capability). Not that such actions would help (never helped me with bowling). But the silver lining was it put me closer to my best cooling fan each time I did it.

Grats to Angelo for winning his home track, Joe for the great battle up front and Ryan for making it interesting for all! Hope you all had fun. Let's send reminders to those that missed this race next time.
    Last edited by Brette Brooks; 02-21-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Tom and faspit like this.

aaron page is offline Established Member

I was slow enough during practice to feel comfortable w/o qualifying, and I knew I had one hope for the race, which was to save the car and hope some others didn't. That worked out well, as I got to run a few laps here and there with folks who had spins in the first half of the race, and I saw a number of guys up ahead who were smoking their tires at turn entries. Sure enough, in the last half of the race I got into a fun race with Luis, and was very disappointed to see him pull off with engine or trans trouble. Then I got to try to get by Bob, which wasn't the easiest thing to do :-). Thanks for the fun, guys. I did make one major mistake for which I need to apologize -- I spun right in front of the lead two cars just as they were coming up to lap me (and I was trying to keep on Luis' bumper). Fortunately I didn't block the track, and they got by, but hey, sorry guys!

I am slowly tuning Automobilista to what I need, this time adding in the pointers that say who is up ahead, getting my FFB adjusted, etc. I sure hope we run this sim for a while, and I really hope this particular mod will be revisited in a future series.
    AngeloRacer, HeatCAN, Tom and 3 others like this.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Loved your recap Brette! That very well (and hilariously) described the late race battle between the 3 of us.....great fun!!
    Brette Brooks likes this.

Ryan Soucy is offline Junior Member

@Jason Whited, I'll check the replay, I didn't feel anything when it happened, which is why I was so confused. I like to think AMS is advanced from old rF, but sometimes it rears its ugly head. I used to hate Portland and Long beach because you would graze the front stretch and hit an invisible crack in the wall that would spin you out...

VIR. Never been real good here, it's gonna be tough with these cars. I'm putting a plan together to make a run to the SCCA Runoffs next year at VIR (in FVees). I'll use this as step one!
    faspit likes this.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Soucy View Post
    @Jason Whited, I'll check the replay, I didn't feel anything when it happened, which is why I was so confused. I like to think AMS is advanced from old rF, but sometimes it rears its ugly head. I used to hate Portland and Long beach because you would graze the front stretch and hit an invisible crack in the wall that would spin you out...

VIR. Never been real good here, it's gonna be tough with these cars. I'm putting a plan together to make a run to the SCCA Runoffs next year at VIR (in FVees). I'll use this as step one!
    Well, I still say it's far advanced from old rF in many ways. But, every sim out there has it's negatives and places that could use improvements.

Anyways, on replay the collision even looks weird. My left front apparently makes contact with your right rear and literally drives the car down onto the rear bumper, rear tire basically "disappears" into the tarmac.
    Watch the replay and you'll probably be amazed you didn't feel that. After ping ponging into the grass I could have swore you'd be near in a similar situation. Though, glad you weren't and that you could continue. Racing incident, but I really wasn't giving you much room to recover (intentionally, I will add. lol. ...was trying to get by and lifting too far off and taking the inside wasn't going to work, I couldn't get a run on the straight, so the idea in that moment became - keep my momentum, give you juuuust enough room to not shove you off the track, and squeeze by. ...it backfired

VIR is actually really fun in these cars. It's tough, but if you can "flick" the car there, should be good to go if a setup that is stable enough to allow for that is found.
    I'm interested to see how I stack up there. (though I was "fast" at Goiania, until live timing results from practice started to show up throughout the week, then I realized I had MUCH room for improvements and I wasn't quite there yet. Still wasn't really "there" on race night, but far better than early in the week)

I'm putting a plan together to make a run to the SCCA Runoffs next year at VIR (in FVees). I'll use this as step one!
    Awesome! Good luck with that!
    faspit likes this.

Luis Almeida is offline Member

During formation lap I may have gone 4 wheels off track exiting the chicane, was trying to keep the the two line formation and felt that Tom may have been a bit wide (not easy there) if I did I apologise.
    As for the rest of the race I think I kept a good pace while I was feeling awake, then made a huge mistake when fighting with Aaron, a downshift instead of an upshift. Blew my engine!
    aaron page likes this.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Luis, Sorry Dude!

We were accelerating out of the corner, I glance at the timing widget, it was long enough for something to happen.

Again Luis, sorry for spinning you around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12