Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Fvee AMS Test Race Post Race and Issues report

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Stevens View Post
    No technical issues of any kind. The sim and server seemed to work perfectly.

I would however offer this bit of feedback: As a slower driver I am used to being overtaken and would in the past have come off line wherever possible to let people by. With the move to AMS, there is an increase amount of ‘tire turds’ off the racing line as the race progresses. Intentionally pulling off into the clag wont be happening. I’ll not be as likely to “get out of your way” as I had been in the past.
    Fair enough, and it begs the question: Can the offline areas be "swept clean" in any way in anticipation of clearing out passing spots ahead of time? I don't have enough seat time yet in AMS to have a clear answer, but someone else might know.

So...?

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by faspit View Post
    [...] except for that darn siren that goes off when a car enters pit lane from the track. I have a inner ear balance issue and that came so close to triggering that, not good. [...]
    I haven't tried it, but I believe the pithorn (and the airhorn too, for that matter) can be tweaked, or even shut off: In your PLR file, the [SOUND OPTIONS] section.

I suppose if you run over an inattentive journalist or photographer* in pitlane now I can live with it.

[* see "In Car 956"]

No word yet on whether there is a "vuvuzela" sound option at Kyalami or South London....
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 01-03-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Jason Whited is offline Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    Fair enough, and it begs the question: Can the offline areas be "swept clean" in any way in anticipation of clearing out passing spots ahead of time? I don't have enough seat time yet in AMS to have a clear answer, but someone else might know.

So...?
    No, it's not dynamic in that way. Rubber builds, but "race line" and what is the tire junk areas are basically hard coded. (it's a fairly basic dynamic track surface)

ZigZag03 is offline Mark Ruggiero

Yeah what up with that siren entering the pit? I thought maybe I was just going too fast everytime I went in and was setting it off myself...
    Darien Bailey likes this.
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

aaron page is offline Established Member

No issues here, either, ran smooth as silk. My race though....didn't set my mirrors right (and didn't dare do it in race in case I got the wrong key), so darned near ran a few guys off left side -- sorry guys, I really wasn't trying to block or run you out of track. I will have that fixed before the next race. As far as the marbles go. it's hard to break the habit of easing to the side to let lapping cars through, and seeing the couple of close races approaching me, I did pull off the line. Managed to have a wonderful spin (solo) on the front straight trying to clean the tires off :-)

Joe Miller is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    No issues here, either, ran smooth as silk. My race though....didn't set my mirrors right (and didn't dare do it in race in case I got the wrong key), so darned near ran a few guys off left side -- sorry guys, I really wasn't trying to block or run you out of track. I will have that fixed before the next race. As far as the marbles go. it's hard to break the habit of easing to the side to let lapping cars through, and seeing the couple of close races approaching me, I did pull off the line. Managed to have a wonderful spin (solo) on the front straight trying to clean the tires off :-)
    If you use virtual mirrors Look for this line in your .plr to configure them.
    Rearview="2" // 0=Off, 1=In-car only, 2=Center and Side, 3=Center only, 4=Side only (virtual mirrors only, in-car mirrors are on/off). Mine, as you can see are set to "2"

aaron page is offline Established Member

Thanks, Joe. I simply haven't had time to figure out this sim, and adding virtual mirrors will definitely help me out, as I tend to set my seat back too far to make stock mirrors useful.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

Apart from my own issues, a pretty good race.... until it wasn't. These are great cars and a lot of fun. Looking forward to more racing in AMS!
    Jason Whited and faspit like this.
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

ZigZag03 is offline Mark Ruggiero

On the subject of mirrors, clearly I didn't have mine right at all, because I would see the virtual dot coming up behind, but in my mirrors I couldn't see anything behind to either side. And so just held the line. And hadn't gotten to the virtual mirror either. Best get that sorted.
    aaron page likes this.
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

Phil E is offline CMS Admin-at-large

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Stevens View Post
    I would however offer this bit of feedback: As a slower driver I am used to being overtaken and would in the past have come off line wherever possible to let people by. With the move to AMS, there is an increase amount of ‘tire turds’ off the racing line as the race progresses. Intentionally pulling off into the clag wont be happening. I’ll not be as likely to “get out of your way” as I had been in the past.
    Kurt

The CMS rules actually suggest the car being passed stay online (3.3.1). This is best practice in my experience, especially if you are watching your mirrors and use the slight lift on the straights described in 3.3.3

3.3 Safe lapping of slower cars (in same or other classes) requires the cooperation of both drivers. The faster car should show patience and not attempt a dive bomb pass, and the slower car should drive predictably and be ready to facilitate a safe pass.
    3.3.1 The slow car should hold their racing line and use normal braking points.
    3.3.2 The slow car can flash its lights to show it is safe to pass.
    3.3.3 The slow car can briefly lift off the throttle on a straight to facilitate the pass.
    3.3.4 Fast cars are not allowed to intimidate slow cars by on track behavior or using headlights to "snow plow"
    3.3.5 Brake checking, blocking, dive bombing, etc. is considered bad sportsmanship and will be penalized.
    3.3.6 If you are given the blue flag, you must strive to yield to the faster car as quick as reasonably possible. In general it should done within two straights and two corners after the flag has been shown.
    Hoogs, Marc Cohn and faspit like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast