Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Brainerd (Formula A) Post Race Data and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Brainerd (Formula A) Post Race Data and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 02-27-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Brette Brooks likes this.

Scott Beck is online now Rothmans Racing

Looks like the old man (me) beat all the Rothmans boys tonight.

I'll take an 8th place finish, thank you.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Too tired... went to bed at 7pm.

Had practice only once, must be my FFB, the mod felt weird and I thought Brainerd would have been more fun.

Next time.

Todd Alan is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Beck View Post
    Looks like the old man (me) beat all the Rothmans boys tonight.

I'll take an 8th place finish, thank you.

OMG...we're gonna hear about this for 2 weeks!
    Scott Beck and Jason Whited like this.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Did I really not put enough fuel in the car, AGAIN!?!

Had an excellent race chasing Christopher for the top spot.
    Once I lost contact with him (drafting distance) he was able to hold the gap near constant most of the race. Twice while navigating traffic I saw opportunities to cut the gap and successfully managed that. Was hoping for a late run but the tires were wearing anyways and the right handers were getting tricky.

That was about the time I realized I didn't have enough fuel. Requested a stop for a slash and dash, hoping to hold onto P3 in the process, but got ahead of myself and overshot the pit entrance. Entered the pits through the grass and the crew decided to stay behind the wall (probably for safety. I came in there quite hot...hehehe) so I had to nurse the car around another lap (on fumes!) and managed to enter the pits in the right spot second time around. Got to pit stall and overshot it by about a mile...had to back up. Stalled the car, twice...lol lol.

When it rains it pours...lost P3 at that point and was quickly losing P4 as well.

Note to self, from now on do NOT rely on fuel data from a past race at a very different race track to just toss in some fuel and go. Do the TINY amount of work it takes to gauge fuel usage, FOR EACH AND EVERY TRACK, and we'd stop having this problem.

Grats to Christopher on a fast and consistent run up front for the win. And to the other podium spots as well.

Will try to get it right again next time.
    aaron page likes this.

aaron page is offline Established Member

Hah, Jason, I missed the pits in practice, which is easy to do here!

Me, I toasted ANOTHER car.....gee, was having a fun race with Kurt, apparently tried a little too hard to get a good run off the final turn, and nothin. No flames, no smoke, no power. That was with the default setup, with only a minor gear change and slightly more wing. Next race in this mod, I'm starting from scratch :-)
    But I got to watch an excellent race for pos. 7-10, quite a battle. And then it was fun watching the leaders try to navigate through them, as the guys fighting for position had very few places where they could lift even slightly without falling behind. Thanks for the show, guys.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

I was on for a few laps early in the day with Jason, and could see I wasn't up to pace, so I mulled it over for a couple of hours and decided to try some setup ideas I'd not explored before. Doing that anyway with things like "brake pressure" (there is no such thing in a real car--it's kludge setting ISI came up with (Assetto Corsa uses it too) to allow tweaking of the potentiometer-input brake pedals we often use with computers and consoles). I've never set that at anything but 100% before...but I'm clearly going to have to start fiddling with it as AMS, AC, rF, rF2 all have it, and I can see NOT using it is costing me time....

Anyway, I started doing things with the setup I hadn't done before, tried high wing, low wing, mid high wing, mid low wing...everything but really low wing () and somehow stumbled into a combination of gearing and wing that suddenly shot me up the standings and out front in official practice. It's an intriguing car in that a setting just one degree high or low, or a gearstack that isn't quite right will really cost you--I found the same at Mt. Tremblant where I got things going pretty well. But that setup didn't work well at all for Brainerd, so it was back to square one...and then hopefully test my way forward again.

So, for this race I worked it out (pretty late in the pre-game, but still in time), but I suspect it'll be the same again at Mosport--two steps back and then hopefully forward again. We'll see.

---

As to the race itself, I (for once!) managed to leverage a pole position into a L1 lead, and though Jason had the draft early, he didn't force things...right decision for both of us. Once he lost my tow I thought he and Joe would team up to reel me back in, and they were clearly biting off a big chunk each lap in sector 1--maybe .4s each time running together--but they didn't seem to be able to build on it during the rest of the lap, so I kept a lead of 2-3s for a while...and then they split apart, so I was about 3s ahead of Jason, who was about 3s ahead of Joe...and Elliot fell back in fourth. Went like that for the first half of the race (one lapped car I think) until I came up on a four way fight and my (by then) six second lead on Jason was cut in half getting through it--everyone involved was cool, and no one made any surprise moves either to let me by or chop me trying, so I do want to say "thanks" to all for driving hard and fair during that bit.

After that both Jason and Joe had fuel issues--I took too much again, but not as bad as at some other races, and in the end won by 22s. As they say "the race was a lot closer than the final margin would indicate" and that was true here--but for his fuel issues Joe probably would have ended up about 6s back, and so only in the last two laps did the pressure ease off.

Fun and challenging circuit, and hard to set up because there are some big bumps and dips coupled with a VERY grabby track edge almost the whole way round. Fortunately too though, it's pretty wide, so you can get around without flirting with disaster too much.

Thanks to everyone who raced it--I hope everyone had fun battling with the place.
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 02-14-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Turn 3 and I are not friends! I’m sure i’ll be hearing from the Stewards regarding the most regrettable ‘center punch’ I gave Aaron on Lap 1 (OZ Infraction)...Sorry Man. I flamed the engine some laps later with an early downshift in the exact same spot. Not my best night.
    aaron page likes this.
    Kurt Stevens

Pete Holm is offline Member

Well I think I finally have my internet connection sorted out. New provider, new fiber optic cable to the house, super fast speed no lost connections! Yaa! Unfortunately I had a piece of crap car that lasted only 4 laps and she blew. But no disco. So I was happy.

Brainerd is a very cool track, I had the opportunity to race there several times in the early 80's with a Formula Ford Lola T440, which was a state of the art race car at that time. It took several laps to get comfortable not lifting thru turn 2.
    It was quite an honor on one particular weekend, 1983 SCCA Nationals, to be able to pit a few doors down from PL Newman, Jerry Hansen and several other well known SCCA drivers.

Racing at this track brought back a lot of great memories from that time at the very early stages of my racing career. Dreams of becoming a famous race car driver never materialized, life got in the way, but still enjoying racing at the amateur level, and will continue to do so as long as I can.

Thanks to the Admin crew for putting on these races, although it might be time to retire the old RF1 and completely migrate to Automobilista, the graphics & physics just don't cut it any more. Rf1 had a good run

Pic is me in the middle, turn 2, Brainerd 1983 NationalsVintage racing 006.jpg

Cheers

HeatCAN is offline Tom Mountjoy

Very cool, Pete!

I had an absolute blast, particularly racing with Jerry for a good chunk of the race. Grats to all that finished, and esp. to the top 3!
    aaron page and Jason Whited like this.

-See You On Track!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast