Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Barcelona (Porshe IROC - AMS) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Default Barcelona (Porshe IROC - AMS) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 04-14-2018 at 04:56 PM.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

Cant believe I having such a season. Its incredible.

Today, for the first time, during the race, I felt I was in control the whole time. Of course, PolePosition helped. I managed to grab it on my very last lap at the very end of the Q session, which is aways not a very healthy thing to do...lol. That was intense!
    From then, everything was in place.
    I did a perfect start, kept the lead, and managed the gap to Joe when needed. At times he looked really a threat, but somehow I was able to put the gap up again. I know he had a freeze or something in the early part of the race, when he was less than a second behind and suddenly on the main straight dropped back something like 4secs.
    He got close again, but not enough to really challenge.
    Apart from that, I hope stuttering and/or flickering didnt played a role on our fight. From my vantage point everything seemed ok.
    I was feeling good with my driving and the way the car was behaving, and actually was enjoying the ride.

I quite like the vintage challenge of drive old cars in modern circuits. So all in all a very fun event to take part!

Gilles Lalonde is online now Established Member

Sorry for the no show guys, I'm pulling double shift since Sunday evening, a domain name migration that turned awry. At double rate, I couldn't say no.

Cya all next time.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Terrible race for me even with a really nice setup that Jason shared. Thanks for that, Jason, too bad I didn't capitalize on it. Pace was OK (for me) but I spent a hell of a lot of time getting out of the molasses and it cost me dearly. For some reason I never did "get it" on this track. Other than my own miscues my race was pretty uneventful and as always fun. See ya at R A.

aaron page is offline Established Member

First off, is it possible that the jumpiness some were seeing at the beginning of the race (and end of practice) was due to the update Steam sent? I don't know if the update I got was for rF2 or AMS, but think it was for AMS because it finished updating after the race. (just my opinion, but there should be a way to disable Steam updates, and maybe there is and I just don't know it).

As far as the race goes, I wish CMS had a kudo thing like they had at R2P, because I'd slap 20 kudos on both Tom M and Bruno. Damn, that was fun. I was having real trouble keeping the front end glued to the track approaching t1 most of the night, and it was at that turn that I scared both of them several times during the race (one time I positively cut Tom off accidentally, so had to give up the spot a turn or two later as an apology). We ran each other pretty hard, taking turns with minor errors, then he pulled away, leaving me in Bruno's clutches. More tight stuff, but at one point I overreacted to an off and took off the front of my car. Thought I also had a flat (it was just grass on the tires, though) and pitted. rrrrrr. saw that Scott pitted right behind me as we went a lap down. Came out not too far behind Tom again (after he lapped me) and thought, "Cool, I'll stay close" and was oh so tempted to pass a couple of times due to having fresher rubber, especially since Bruno (who he was racing) was pretty far back (hopefully Tom, you didn't mind me doing this, but if so, PM me.) But he had a minor off, I drove off into the sunset....and right into the gravel. With both of them in front of me now, and a lot closer to each other, I didn't want to effect their race but SURE wanted to not go another lap down to the fast-approaching Angelo. With a half dozen turns to go, I had to surrender the lap; had it been one turn I might have held out, had it been two Angelo might have lifted a tad, but not 1/4 lap!

Sure you don't want to double the length of the season? grin
    jham, HeatCAN, Scott Beck and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    First off, is it possible that the jumpiness some were seeing at the beginning of the race (and end of practice) was due to the update Steam sent? I don't know if the update I got was for rF2 or AMS, but think it was for AMS because it finished updating after the race. (just my opinion, but there should be a way to disable Steam updates, and maybe there is and I just don't know it).
    When I left the game I noticed that as well.
    Though, I do have auto updates while I am gaming and/or streaming turned off. You can do this in your Steam settings > downloads > and there are a couple boxes you can tick there; "throttle downloads while streaming" and "allow downloads during gameplay" being the two you are looking for. You'll want to check the box to throttle downloads and uncheck the box to allow d/l during streaming.

I don't think that was it though. The issue was too "common". It's the same experience we've had.
    I really think it's tied to the collision detection system in this sim or something, and for some reason with certain mods it seems to be a bit problematic at times.
    I notice these "lag spikes" (and sometimes random high ping of others) always in conjunction with someone ahead running off/hitting something (even another car) and/or when I note that the yellow is flying (so leads back to someone running off or hitting something either way)

There are a couple server adjustments we can make that have seemingly worked for others. And, I'm in the process of asking a few questions to those that run AMS series daily (without these issues that we've seen in this series) to see if a possible solution might exist. Since the problems happened at Road Atlanta quite noticeably when we first ran it, adjusting some things on the server end prior to next weeks' race will let us know if these possible solutions create positive changes.
    I initially thought it might be related to the track pack we've used some, but it happened on base content tracks too. Even happened to some degree in the tribute race to Norm a few weeks ago, and all that was base content :/

(I'm eating a bit of crow here, given my picking at Gilles about his raising some of these issues. lol But I don't mind. I'd rather we solve these issues than worry with who is right or wrong. Plus, I didn't build the sim, so not my fault :P)

As for my race, I had a lot of fun and was soaking wet with sweat in the aftermath.

Felt like I got a bad jump at the start as the cars behind me were nearly beside me before I knew it.
    Cautiously, I navigated through the first corners, leaving all the room I could in the corner (probably even chopped off the corner a bit, but better safe and with a warning that crashed out )

As we exited those first corners I managed to stay in P4 behind Brette and off we went.
    I knew that the only chance I'd have at Angelo or Joe would be to hang with them and hope for mistakes. The goal initially was to do that at all costs.
    But, I got held up a bit, yet not enough for me to get by and move on up the chain. Seemed Brette was being very gentle with the car (saving tires I suppose) initially and I kept nearly running him over in the slower corners because I wasn't used to the extended braking points he was using.

As Angelo and Joe slipped off into the distance (now I can barely even see them ahead of us any longer) I started to get impatient. I felt like I had the speed to stay with them, but there was this pesky car impeding my path. I started poking the nose in trying to get Brette's attention, but obviously he doesn't have to give up a P3 spot and apparently I spend too much time watching my mirrors. ...I think I even mumbled something to the effect of, "don't you see me back here hounding you? Let me go, they are running off and leaving us!" LOL LOL

Again, no reason for Brette to actually let me by. And, that would sort of defeat the purpose of RACING anyways...but, in that moment you could not tell me this.
    All I knew was I was losing ground, and fast!

Eventually, it was I that made the mistake. At the seat (T5) Brette braked early, and by this time I was expecting that...but I locked the brakes anyways and the car understeered off track right. I rumbled through the grass, back across the curbing and Ryan and Marc went by (I developed a slight gap, but following P3 had seen that gap fade as quickly as it had formed)....That was about the point I lost hope in reconnecting with P1 and 2.

I spent some time watching Ryan and Marc duke it out a bit. Little bit of door rubbing, a nice little back and forth...fun to watch but had me on edge as they were going at it pretty hard and I was just waiting on one of them to spin and collect me in the process.
    Eventually, Ryan made a mistake and Marc and I built a gap of about 8 seconds or so.

At that point, feeling comfortable that those behind were actually behind for a few moments, I engaged Marc and we did the dance for quite some time.
    I was sweating wildly...hands kept slipping on the wheel, kept trying to rub them off on my pants and blow air at them (it did nothing at all for the sweating issue)

With about 15 minutes to go, my LF tire started to fade and suddenly the slightly oversteery Porsche was an understeering pig. Ugh....what a handful. Kept leaning into the corners in some weird attempt to sway the car around with my physical body (again, this had no effect. Not sure why :P )

We went back and forth...and it was looking like a set up for a nice battle for P3 finish, when suddenly Marc disappeared and did not return :/

I took over P3, but hard to tell what would have came of it had he stayed in (not sure I had much left with that LF tire the way it was. Was really risking blowing it at that point)

My work wasn't over though as Ryan had decided a nice late charge was in order and suddenly that gap to P4 was not so large anymore.
    Was on my toes until the end...and was able to hold out...but jeez, what a workout.

Grats to Angelo...(also for the pole lap. I didn't realize you had taken the pole and accidentally congratulated Joe for taking the pole without realizing you'd done that last lap. Only when we went to grid did I notice who was leading the way) and to Joe....all finishers as well.
    This was not an easy course for these cars and considering that, everyone did quite well and it seems enjoyed the racing, so win win!

See you at Road Atlanta (love the place!) and we'll toss these puppies around a bit more. Hopefully we can iron out the intermittent lag issue(s) and everything will run smoothly for us.

Luis Almeida is offline Member

Sorry I missed it, had to take my Mum to Hospital. Got home 30 minutes after race started. She's got some liquid in a lung and stay there for a while.
    Bruno Chacon likes this.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Almeida View Post
    Sorry I missed it, had to take my Mum to Hospital. Got home 30 minutes after race started. She's got some liquid in a lung and stay there for a while.
    Sorry you missed the race because of mom not being well, Luis. Hoping she has a swift and full recovery.
    jham, AngeloRacer, HeatCAN and 4 others like this.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Grats to Angelo for the overall win and to the podium finishers in each class! Well done at the front Angelo. You can bet if Joe wasn't having those niggling PC glitches during the race, he would be giving you an even closer run for the win. Looks like there were some good battles thru the field.

I like the Barcelona track choice. Not sure if its because I can't remember ever running there, or because I think it just adds some good variety to the series. Either way, I like the variety it has and that made the race more interesting for me. It sure had it's share of clag (right term?) off the racing line, making the preferred line seem even narrower. But track cutting warnings seemed a lot less picky than previous events. A win-win for those that like a variety of venues.

Although I was able to qualify pretty good (new PB for me anyway), I was not that happy with my braking and knew the tires would likely fall off earlier than usual. Still trying to find that magic combination. It wasn't for lack of effort on my part. But my favorite GT wheel starting showing intermittent drop outs issues during practice. So I changed the steering wheel to another GT/Sedan type leading up to qualy and was surprised in the differences it showed. Not so much to the good. I was testing different Steering and Diff settings trying to get the same balance I had prepared for with the other wheel. Came close enough for putting in hot laps on fresh rubber. But was still playing with brakes up to joining the grid. It turns out the different wheel required a different profile and I grabbed one I thought had recent preferred settings in it. But it turns out the brake and steering sensitivity settings were of an older level I don't use anymore. Deleted that profile since scanning the replay and watching myself lock up the front brakes a lot in the early goings. That sure was not helping the tires last longer.. quite the opposite actually.

Others were saying that their front tires were falling off pretty bad the last 15 mins. We've seen that a lot in this mod. But in my case, it was more like the last 25 mins. at Barcelona. So getting all that sorted out is Job 1 before returning to Road Atlanta. If I can balance good handling with saving the tires, I might be able to hang in there better next week. Hats off to those that have mastered it better before now!

Sorry to those following me closely early dealing with conservative braking, lock up smoke and a premature pushy #59! I hope to have that mastered better next week. Probably won't matter much if we all qualify similar to how we did the first time at RA. I just hope we don't get the same frame stutters we had there last time. That was probably the worst we've ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast