• 2 Post By Marc Cohn
  • 6 Post By AngeloRacer
  • 5 Post By Jason Whited
  • 4 Post By Tom

Thread: 1974 Porsche IROC Series, Season 6 - Barcelona - Mar. 27th

Joe Miller is online now Senior Member

Default 1974 Porsche IROC Series, Season 6 - Barcelona - Mar. 27th

Welcome Drivers:
    Here are details for the 1974 Porsche IROC Series, Season 6 Race 4 . Using The "Porsche 911 RSR" mod for Automobilista (AMS).
    All drivers are welcome.

Our Third race in the series is March 27, 2018 at Barcelona, Qualifying at 8PM CST/9PM EST
    (full schedule below)

The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (as it became known in September 2013) is one of Europe's busiest tracks, playing host to high profile rounds of Formula One, MotoGP and becoming the seasonal winter home of the F1 teams as they test their new cars and drivers.
    Plans for the circuit were first suggested in the mid-80s, with the Catalan government keen to prise the grand prix away from Jerez and return racing to Barcelona for the first time since the 1970s, when the fabled Monjuich Park course was last used. A plot of land north of Barcelona, near to the town of Montmeló, was secured and the foundation stone was laid in February 1989.
    Constrcution continued through 1990 and into 1991, with the completed course ready for its first event, a round of the Spanish Touring Car Championship, on 10th September 1991. Former F1 driver Luís Pérez-Sala took the victory. Two weeks later came the Formula One Spanish Grand Prix, featuring a memorable duel between Mansell and Senna down the front straight. The Motorcyle Grand Prix followed on a month later.
    The circuit features a mix of fast and slow corners, a long straight and a variety of elevation changes. As a result, it is a popular testing venue, aided by the usual pleasant winter weather. Spectator facilities, which have always been good, were boosted further in 2002 with the opening of a new main grandstand, designed by Herman Tilke and with a capacity of 9,580. Opposite, a gigantic electronic scoring board now also dominates the end of the pitlane.
    Over the years a number of circuit revisions have been made. In 1994, following the tragedies at Imola, the F1 drivers were critical of the lack of run off at the end of the fast Nissan chicane, and an ungainly additional chicane was hastily built out of tyre stacks. Possibly one of the worst additions to a track ever, it did at least allow for the race to go ahead.
    The following year, the Nissan chicane was bypassed altogether, the track continuing in a straight line from Campsa down to La Ciaxa. The original chicane remains, though it is now rarely used, with even the national course bypassing it in recent years.
    Although designed with F1 in mind, the increasing reliance of modern grand prix on aerodynamic grip lead to a number of dull, processional races as the drivers found it hard to overtake. In particular, following a competitor close enough through the final curve to gain a slipstream down the main straight became virtually impossible. To add an additional overtaking spot, La Caixa was tightened in 2004, and in 2007 a clumsy chicane was inserted at the penultimate corner. It has done little to improve the overtaking, but it has slowed the cars through the final curve.
    Happily, without the aerodynamic constraints of the F1 cars, the motorcycle course remained largely unchanged for a few more years and witnessed some thrilling racing. As if to emphasise the point that overtaking is much easier on two wheels, Valentino Rossi pulled off a spectacular last-lap dive on Jorge Lorenzo in the final turn of the 2009 race to deny the Spaniard a home victory.
    Eventually, even the pace of development on two wheels meant that speeds began to outstrip safety. This was tragically proved during practice for the 2016 Moto2 race, when Luis Salom crashed at Turn 12. The air fence sent the bike in the air and into the path of the hapless rider, who died a short time later from his injuries. As a result of his death, the race used the layout normally used by Formula One, to reduce speeds in the part of the track where Salom had crashed.
    During January 2017, the track underwent some modifications to create a more suitable chicane for the motorcycles at the behest of the FIM. The revised course also continues to use the Formula 1 layout at the CaixaBank turn, leaving the original corner layout largely redundant, as is the original Europcar turn, which is now bypassed by all racing categories in favour of the earlier turn for the chicanes.
    ~ In your TRACK list, the track is:
    " Addon Tracks \ Barcelona \ Barcelona 2003 - Spring "
    ~ Race length is 45 minutes.
    ~ Race Pit Speed 37mph/59kph (pitstop not required)
    ~ Do not use off-course areas to gain an advantage.
    Race Day and Time: Tuesday, March 27th,
    Server Name: MNRL CMSRACING.COM
    Qualifying at 8PM CST/9PM EST (15 minutes)
    Warmup, 5 minutes,
    Race Start: ( MNRL TWO WIDE MANUAL FORMATION LAP START, SEE BELOW FOR START PROCEDURE )
    ~Server Settings

FORMATION LAP START PROCEDURE
    --------------------
    TWO WIDE MANUAL FORMATION LAP START!
    When lights turn green, proceed double file at a pace set by the pole man.
    UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED, POLE MAN IS TO PACE THE
    FIELD AT 50 MPH (80KPH) UNTIL THE CHAT "GREEN FLAG GREEN FLAG" IS DISPLAYED.

~PLEASE MAINTAIN A 2 TO 3 CAR LENGTH GAP TO THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU.
    ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE FORMATION LAP BEFORE WE GET TO THE GREEN STARTING ZONE.

~BRAKE WARMING IS ALLOWED BUT PLEASE DO SO WHILE MAINTAINING YOUR GAP AS TO NOT CAUSE STACK BRAKING OF THE CARS BEHIND YOU.

~PENALTIES MAY BE ASSESSED FOR LACK OF GAP MAINTENANCE.

~IF YOU SPIN OFF THE TRACK DURING THE FORMATION LAP PLEASE MOVE TO THE END OF THE LONGEST LINE.

~IN THE CASE THAT A DRIVER IN FRONT OF YOU IN YOUR LINE DOESN'T MAKE THE GRID OR SPINS OFF DURING THE FORMATION LAP YOU ARE TO MOVE FORWARD AND FILL THE GAP. YOU WILL NOT BE PENALIZED FOR PASSING.

~NO TIRE WARMING.
    When you see "GREEN FLAG GREEN FLAG" in your AutoChat, the race begins for all.
    (Entire field does not have to be in the start area for race to start)

RACE CAN START ANYWHERE IN THE GREEN START AREA,
    WATCH FOR THE "GREEN FLAG GREEN FLAG" IN CHAT TO START THE RACE!
    Note: !CMS ORANGE ZONE RULE IS IN EFFECT! The Green Starting Area is also considered part of the Orange Zone.
    .................................................. ...................
    Race review and penalties:
    The race review team will review the start after each race, as well as review any incidents for which an incident protest was filed, and issue any penalties as appropriate. The results of these reviews will be posted no later than one week before the next event. All drivers are required to read the race review/penalty thread before the upcoming race so that they will be aware if they are required to serve any penalties. Any driver receiving a penalty will also be notified via PM. NOTE: Unless otherwise specified in the driver briefing for an event, the review team typically will only review the start for each event. Therefore if you experience an incident during an event that happens after the Start, you will need to use our Incident Protest Form to file an official protest if you wish to have it reviewed.

!!!PLEASE be familiar with CMS rules and regulations!!!
    Rules and Regulations
    Protests
    .................................................. ...................

Server should be up shortly after the previous race.
    In the SERVER LIST, look for
    MNRL CMSRACING.COM ...

1974 Porsche IROC Series schedule is as follows:

(Click each track name for the relevant download from CMS storage)

February 6 - Cordoba

February 20 - Goiania

March 6 - VIR

March 27 - Barcelona (2003 layout/spring)

April 3, 2018 - Road Atlanta

The Porsche 911 RSR mod can be found here -RSR74_V1.12
    Here are the download links for the custom skins and the SRS update.
    Everyone will also need to download and install these :
    MNRL Skin Pack
    SRS update
    Note: (If you are getting a Vehicle Collision Mismatch There has probably been an update to the Skin Pack. Please re-download and reinstall the MNRL Skin Pack.)
    (If you are getting an SRS Mismatch please re-download and reinstall the SRS update)
    (If you are getting other errors try this.)

(Note: You May need to reinstall any SRS update after doing this)

.................................................. ................
    Here is the link for our race password:

Password

Link for Automobilista (AMS) if you don't have it:

Automobilista on Steam

.................................................. .................................................. .......................................
    In addition to Registering at Champion Motorsports, you should
    also register here:
    Champion Motorsports Stats Database

Only need to register once, this will enter you into the
    CMS points keeping and standings system.

Also you can optionally sign up for the Seniors Championship if applicable.
    SENIORS CHAMPIONSHIP SIGN UP LINK

Please Join Us on TeamSpeak. Here is a link for details TeamSpeak info.

.................................................. .....................................

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE CHIEF STEWARD:

As usual, the lift/blip is in effect. Repetitive speedshifting
    will result in motor damage and failure.
    Lift and Blip Video

(Att: All Drivers!) !PLEASE GO HERE TO PICK A CAR! Drivers interested in registering for this series, please visit the car selection thread.
    1974 Porsche IROC (AMS) Series Details and Car Selection Thread.

Gilles Lalonde is online now Established Member

I like Catalunya, it's a proper track but the setups in my rFactor settings dates back from 2013 !!!

I'm inside a second off the Jasons present time on LiveRacer but my I can't find a reference for corner 7, TV3 (Würth corner on the map here), each lap is different.
    Jason Whited likes this.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

Very few names on the board, so far.
    Lets practice, gentlemans. This is not a easy combo.
    HeatCAN, Tom, Jason Whited and 1 others like this.

Marc Cohn is online now Senior Member

50/50 chance I may be missing this one unfortunately. Missed a lot of work last week due to being sick so I offered to be a backup tomorrow to try and regain some hours.
    Jason Whited and faspit like this.

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Nearly 100 laps of practice and setup work and Angelo comes in and tops my time by over a tenth in just a few laps.

Nice laps for all, it appears.
    Should be interesting

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

lol Jason!!

Of course the laps on the server are not the only ones I did. I dont like to practice a lot, like do hundreds of laps, but by now I learned to run myself a more efficient program to be prepared.
    Usually I do between 15 to 20 laps offline, sometimes a bit more or less, depending of how I adapt to the car track combination, finding a basic setup. And then I run my laps on the server fine tunning it.
    2 or 3 days before race day I do a half a race distance against AI´s to get a feel about battling for position, fuel and tire consuption.
    Normally including my offline practice for a race I run something like 70 to 80 laps of preparation. I like to keep that way because when I start to do way too many laps trying to foresee every possible scenario, it feels like not longer motorsport, but mathematics.
    HeatCAN, Marc Cohn, Tom and 3 others like this.

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloRacer View Post
    lol Jason!!

Of course the laps on the server are not the only ones I did. I dont like to practice a lot, like do hundreds of laps, but by now I learned to run myself a more efficient program to be prepared.
    Usually I do between 15 to 20 laps offline, sometimes a bit more or less, depending of how I adapt to the car track combination, finding a basic setup. And then I run my laps on the server fine tunning it.
    2 or 3 days before race day I do a half a race distance against AI´s to get a feel about battling for position, fuel and tire consuption.
    Normally including my offline practice for a race I run something like 70 to 80 laps of preparation. I like to keep that way because when I start to do way too many laps trying to foresee every possible scenario, it feels like not longer motorsport, but mathematics.
    Certainly a balance to be had between preparation and burnout.
    I generally only run on the server, but sometimes will run with the AI to get a feel for things that might happen under race conditions that won't when I'm alone on track.

Good to know those few laps on the server weren't your only ones though...lol. Shew! Thought I was going to need another 100 laps to catch back up.
    Pretty sure we're pushing the limits of the car at this point. Anything under 1:57.5 I'd be very surprised. Feel pretty close to the threshold. Made some drastic setup changes last night...completely reworked many things, but the times remained much the same (did help the FL tire wear though )

Usually, my laps logged on the server look like more than I've really put in. I'm in and out a lot. Do a few laps (not really meaningful training) and sometimes a half or full stint.
    Mostly, I just like driving around, tossing the car around for fun.

Most times, when I over prepare, it just tends to be those races I throw away in 2 laps anyways...all that training down the drain...so better to just do the wing and prayer deal and go with it.

See you there.
    Looking forward to tonight for sure!

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Sooooooo, after reading all the above it becomes readily apparent to me that (1) I don't know how to practice and (2) it doesn't matter much because I just suck!

Only kidding.....class clown in me coming out. I just have a lot of fun doing this.