• 5 Post By AngeloRacer
  • 6 Post By aaron page
  • 3 Post By Brette Brooks
  • 6 Post By Jason Whited
  • 7 Post By faspit

Thread: Spielberg Special Event Post Race Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Spielberg Special Event Post Race Discussion

Last edited by Jason Whited; 03-14-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    AngeloRacer and Brette Brooks like this.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

That was really fun.
    Felt like a superspeedway race, with slipstream and track position, side by side action, the exception being going sideways power sliding out of the corners!
    Had some huge fights in both races, specially with Marc and Brette.
    Race 2 was specially great, we manage to trade paintings and fight really hard, and nobody went off because of contact...which shows race craft and respect, very important things to me.

I love those Opalas!!

aaron page is offline Established Member

We had a really good second race for the last three positons; nearly all race long Jimmy Regan, Tony Boynton and I were battling hard but respectfully. Really good driving, guys, that was fun! Hope we run this mod in the future, because it sure lends itself to some competitive racing for those who are in the back third:-)

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloRacer View Post
    That was really fun.
    Felt like a superspeedway race, with slipstream and track position, side by side action, the exception being going sideways power sliding out of the corners!
    Had some huge fights in both races, specially with Marc and Brette.
    Race 2 was specially great, we manage to trade paintings and fight really hard, and nobody went off because of contact...which shows race craft and respect, very important things to me.

I love those Opalas!!
    Well said Angelo. These cars seem to provide some good close racing. Especially on a track like Spielberg Vintage with all those swoopy medium to high speed turns. This track has been one of my favorites for a long time. IIRC, it was one of the first third party tracks to be made for GPL back when people started making mods for GPL. I remember trying to rustle the Lotus 49 around the GPL mod version. Very optimistic of me considering I had not mastered the Lotus 49 and that version of Spielberg had some sharp and tall curbing. Crazy me, I was doing my best trying to drift the L49 thru that right hand sweeper at the back of the long back stretch. Total challenge on the throttle, that was. But it left an unforgettable impression on me, sort of like trying to master the Nordschleife in a 1967 F1 car.

Anyway, I had lots of fun too. Good close racing with all of you. Sorry for any unpredictable braking behind me. I was still learning how deep I could take the car without totally losing it during the race. Last night was more of a hardware changes test session for me. Unfortunately my GPU started freezing up during practice and qualy for VIR and I missed that event. A real downer considering that is one of my closest tracks in real life, and I have been there several times to watch the ALMS guys race. Fortunately changes to the VRAM clock have brought back some video stability, at least in these cars and this track. More testing and tweaks to follow. But it looks like I can avoid getting ripped off in the current GPU mining market (fingers crossed).

Hope to see you guys at the next race.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Glad to see others have the same/similar views of these cars. Very fun little car. Just enough power to keep the front runners focused, and just enough balance and driveability for just about anyone that wants to take one for a spin. Very easy car to drive, very challenging car to put on the edge and keep there.

Guess I got caught though.
    Truth be told, though this was a tribute race for Norm, it was also a test to see how these things would be received. Perfect venue, really.
    Norm planned constantly. And I do mean constantly. Sometimes I'd get emails from him planning 3 series into the future, all the while discussing next season....sometimes very hard to decipher.
    So planning and testing while racing a "fun event" is par for the course here. "In the spirit of MNRL" indeed

I've got a skin pack for these cars. 64 total skins. They are newish skins, not the skins from the original cars. So a tribute series, or something to that effect, would be nice in these.
    Added the skins after grabbing the screen shots last night and installed them, but haven't took a look yet. The ones pictured with the d/l were nice, sharp, and really brought life to these cars. Definitely beats the bland [no] skins they come with.

Actually, here's two of them just as an example.

Spielberg (especially this vintage layout that doesn't have the chicane on the front straight) is perfect for these cars for the reasons Angelo and Brette described in this very thread.
    Drafting, powersliding, jockeying back and forth in close wheel to wheel action....dare I say, even a bit of rubbing (let's not misconstrue that as admin sanctioning that behavior please! )
    ....it's what these cars were meant to do.

There are a lot of Brazilian courses that are part of the base game content (AMS) that suit these cars really well. Long sweeping corners, lots of drafting, lots of sliding around....along with a few more technical courses (a few Brazilian street courses and others as well) that are also entertaining, challenging, and provide good action.
    So, lots to choose from and a series with these is definitely in the works.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................

Lot of fun the other night and as I was battling in Race 1 with Brette, and even when I was 3 wide with Angelo and Gilles (screenshot in OP) I couldn't help but lose a little focus because I kept thinking about how Norm was surely smiling down on the fun we were having.

As much as we like to keep a nice structured atmosphere around here, I think the impromptu last minute changes (which were sort of on the fly voted on) and the relaxed atmosphere also has a place sometimes. Doesn't always need to be so structured when we do stuff like these fun races.
    Felt like a club event, and that was part of the goal. Just take it as it comes.

Thanks to all that participated...and glad to see it was enjoyed.
    Fun racing!

faspit is offline Frank Speer

Those cars reminded me of the U2 liter TA cars we ran a few seasons ago, Not a lot of setup choices so the default setup that many use in our group could run with the setup kings and battles for every position was a given. These cars slid and bounce off of each other was predictable and fun. I spent half the of each lap looking around the A pillars to see forward. Almost as much fun as racing on dirt.

Yes Jason, Norm was always looking to grow the community and was always 2-3 seasons ahead. I worked with him before and we were making setups and skins for two and three seasons ahead. He never liked last minute fixes even tho we had them. Back then he had to get permission to alter the creators mod to have one common chassis, 99% of them not only agreed to let him but offered to do it for him. We would test all the chassis and setups then trade and talk between the 4 or 5 of us testers to come up with a good base setup and chassis for everyone to be able to handle. Then we had to make our allowable setup changes. Was very time consuming but so worth the work as we still use some of those mods. Keeping up with Norm was a challenge in its self, but he was so much fun to be around and converse with. His drive and commitment to our fun will always be missed. Just glad he found some younger and eager people to follow his lead.

It hurt a little bit seeing his Birthday notice pop up on my calendar again, My Dad's did the same to me last month. I will not remove those as it is always a good thing to remember those that have helped and supported us thru our lives.