Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Speilberg Vintage ('75 F1) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Speilberg Vintage ('75 F1) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 07-10-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

Sorry to everyone for the start I got loose going up the hill. Also to Bruno for the tag in the rear end. Fun racing these cars with you all. I made a few mistakes, hopefully no one is too mad at me.

MatthewOverton is offline Established Member

Well, that was sad. Managed to avoid the mess in the first few laps and was settling into a rhythm when suddenly, no engine. Just gone. Was lifting/blipping, and watching the revs, so I must have been too aggressive with the downshifts..... ah yes, another learning experience :}
    Cheers, Matthew
    CMS Racing #174

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

Finally managed to have a full race on this 1975 season!
    Difficult races for me so far, but today everything fell in place.

Qualy was great, with everybody doing some very good lap times.
    I was able to grab a front row position by the end, improving Christopher´s time by .003 (wow), but Joe was flying and deserved PolePosition.

Race: Lucky one for me, for sure. Managed a great jump after the green, taking the lead arriving T1. Then pretty much all drivers that qualified on the top5 ran into some kind of trouble, dropping back.
    I found myself leading with about 3secs gap, and from then on I focused on drive safely fast and with consistency.
    Brette had good pace all race long, but I was in a good race myself and could control the situation.
    Apart from that, this combination of cars and track is so enjoyable, that I was having fun doing my lap times through the 45 minutes. Good stuff.
    ""Forza ragazzi!!"" [mode Vettel off].

Thanks everyone that care to race with us tonight.
    See you next time!
    Last edited by AngeloRacer; 06-26-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Miller View Post
    Sorry to everyone for the start I got loose going up the hill. Also to Bruno for the tag in the rear end. Fun racing these cars with you all. I made a few mistakes, hopefully no one is too mad at me.
    Given that I made the boggiest of the bog starts of all time behind you, Joe, I really doubt anyone noticed--they were (Jason in particular) hoping just to avoid me (third on the grid). Unfortunately Jason could not--he dived toward the center about the same time Brette also dived to the center...and they must have collided.

In Jason's defense, he's already seen this from me when I failed to get moving at St. Jovite in the F5000 series. But what can a guy do when they plonk what appears to be a F1/ (or F5000) car in front of him...only it turns out to be a block of cement?

Those who were on TS after the race know, but for those who don't: I caused everything on the left because I had to map my clutch pedal to a button pretty late in the game...and failed to adjust the sensitivity properly. I should have gone down, (it defaulted to full up) on the slider. I made it even worse by not NOTICING that there even was a slider until after the race, while scratching my aching head.

DOO-FUS!

Angelo and I have raced F1 in rf1 and now (finally) AMS for years, so he's already seen every possible version (up 'till now) of a bogged start...but now he's seen it all, if only this time receding quickly away in his left mirror.

====

That said: Congrats, Angelo! You are all the way back!
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 06-27-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Bruno Chacon is offline Member

No problem Joe, I'm just sorry to have done the whole race with the car completely misaligned, which made me make a huge effort to keep up a good pace.
    faspit likes this.

Bruno Chacon is offline Member

I made an excellent start (which is rare) and saw myself fifth in T1. I was not comfortable enough to do quick times but had a solid pace between 40 and 41.
    Early on, Joe rolled his car and left the track and fourth place fell on my lap, even though it would be for a little while since Joe would come like a rocket behind me, passing me without difficulty to turn again to off the track.
    I think the despair took over Joe and he made some mistakes and drove me in the T0, causing a lot of damage (if the damage was 100%, I would be out of the race), because I was blown away by another car. .
    After that, I had a hard struggle with concentration and my physical training, because the car was completely misaligned and unpredictable.
    With a lot of patience and many abandonments, I managed to reach the eighth place without disputing any more positions, making the race monotonous and tiresome.
    Jason Whited likes this.

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Not sure that could have gone any worse for me if I tried

It started in quali. I couldn't seem to find any space for the life of me. I was surprised by the lack of space on track with the numbers we had, wouldn't have guessed it.
    Finally managed to find space but never did nail a good one down, so back in P5 I would start.

Race time and to be quite honest (@Christopher) I was semi expecting you to bog down ...so I was prepared. Didn't help me much though.
    As Christopher said, he bogged. I didn't get the greatest start, but the car launched as it should and I was [about to be] on my way. I saw my prediction come true and at that point it was only a question of "how bad is this going to be". Initially thought to just stop, let him get going, but then flash backs of a race I had not long ago where the car ahead of me bogged at the start must have filled my brain (in that case, I did slow...only to be completely driven over by the car behind me...which completely destroyed my car...and probably killed my driver )

So, that was a non option for me, wasn't repeating that...lol (that particular incident was not in this league, just ftr)

Anyways, I made the decision to go the only place I could, track right. Had I not lifted off the throttle, I might very well have made it (maybe) but I did lift and when I moved right to go around Christopher I found myself trying to occupy some track that was already taken by Brette. I tried to stay as far left as I could without hitting Christopher's car...and that almost worked...but there just wasn't quite enough space and the left rear tire (huge thing it is!) hooked Christopher's rear and half around I went, still on throttle mind you, just trying to get the hell out of the way at that point.

Got it facing straight and figured I'd see a wall of dead cars behind me as I know no one back there had much space to work with, but somehow it appeared most made it through cautiously and safely!?! (Nice awareness everyone)

Of course, that was only the beginning. I still had miles of mucking up to do on my own.
    I made it to Bosch Kurve before that happened. I was running really low wings, and that worked good alone..but it caught me out (draft speed) in the pack. I must have went into Bosch about 15-20mph faster than I had been alone. Surprised me. So, off I went in the grass track right and I ran down the wall furthering the slight damage I had from the start.

Next lap, I do the same thing
    A few laps later I rounded Bosch to find a car half spun sitting sideways in the road (no fault of his own) and even with a TS warning from Gilles I simply had no where to go and not enough time to react. Like a deer in headlights I drove into the side of an idle car (Sorry Bruno, I tried)

At that point, the car had some damage basically all the way around. It wasn't too bad, and given I'd been practicing with very low wings, it felt "ok". But it was unpredictable and this track just doesn't suit unpredictable at all.

I fell all the way back to the rear. Spent a lot of time regaining spots, then found myself in P5 again, then P4...then, Dr Tiroch Kurve bit me with about 10 minutes to go. Touched the left rear to the grass and the car made a B line to the barrier on the right. I ate it pretty hard. Tore off the nose cone, lost a front right tire...off to the pits I went. Crew fixed it, but with 4 minutes or so to go in the race and knowing the car was probably garbage now, I sat in the pits until the final lap, went out and saved myself from a DNF a few laps down to everyone and everything still running (pretty sure a turtle also finished ahead of me...no car, just a lone turtle walking around the track, slowly, surely, methodically.....STILL faster than me )

It's been one of those hell weeks of racing for me. So, can only go upwards from here (hopefully. Don't tempt fate you idiot!)
    Would say it's one to forget, but I had fun anyways. It was sloppy as can be on my part. Sometimes you just get caught out and then spend an entire race trying to recover, screw it up worse in the process, etc etc etc.

Certainly hurt championship points wise.
    Shake it off, move on to Monza...

Grats up front and to the podium guys. This was a deceitfully tough track with these cars, especially under race conditions.
    Grats to all finishers as well...just finishing here is a victory in itself.

On to the next one...see you guys there!

Thanks for the turn out, everyone!

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    [...] Race time and to be quite honest (@Christopher) I was semi expecting you to bog down ...so I was prepared. [...]
    I'm sure you were, and I would have been too in your place. FWIW, you also made the right decision to move inside, as I was trying to point my car outward to the outside (left) edge in anticipation of just such problem. Unfortunately, I barely moved at all before the "sh** hit the fan."

The start is usually the most dangerous time in any F1 race, whether it be the pileups that happened every year in the late seventies at Monaco, or whether too, to mechanical failures--my own last night was something like that, though I might have prevented it with better pre-race button/slider prep (see my previous post). Derek Bell, in his autobiography described a similar, real life event in the late sixties which I will post later in the "General Discussion" thread (since it applies to any series).

Teaser: Graham Hill, in that case, was NOT amused.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Given the stories so far maybe it was Bad Karma Night at the racetrack. Here's another dumb driver one.

I waited patiently for the green to drop, hit the power when it did, and went nowhere. I flailed around and finally got going after being passed by half the field; it felt like that anyway. Once I got rolling it was clear the car was down on performance. Top speed was down about 5 mph and it felt like the torque was substantially lower.

Morale of the story - if you forget to put the car in neutral, leaving it in 1st gear, you're not only going to screw up the start, you're going to substantially damage the motor trying to get going. Dumb, dumb, dumb. On the other hand screwing up the start might have saved me from getting caught up in one of the incidents. I arrived at the scene of about four or five just after they happened. And managed to get through in one piece.

Had some fun racing guys around me and the fast guys trying to get back to the front after problems. With about five minutes left I had 6th place locked up. Then the brakes misbehaved and took me on a trip through the boonies and I dropped down a position when the checker finally fell.

I still can't believe I messed up the start and the car in the first 10 seconds of the race. Apologies to those behind me.

Congrats to all the intrepid drivers taking the green flag.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast