Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: SPECIAL EVENT! In Honor of Stormin' Norman Borczon [March 13. Details Included]

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Default SPECIAL EVENT! In Honor of Stormin' Norman Borczon [March 13. Details Included]

February 27, 2018 marked 1 year since Norm's passing.
    March 4th would have been his 73rd Birthday.

Norm didn't much like the spotlight. He'd blush just seeing this thread title.
    But, for those that may have missed it, or for those that weren't MNRL members at the time, I'm going to post a link to the thread we created in celebration of Norm's life so that it is forever tied to this race thread and so that those that chose to can check it out again.

A Celebration of Norm's life

In honor of Norm, and in the spirit of MNRL, we are going to get down and dirty in some really cool Brazilian stock cars this coming Tuesday during our "off week" from the championship series.

*A server has been set up for those who wish to check them out. It will be up all week in anticipation of this event. (Live Timing)
    All content used for this event is base AMS game content, no downloads required. (1986 Opala Stock and Spielberg '74)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

~ In your TRACK list, the track is:
    " Spielberg Vintage "
    ~ Race length is 20 minutes. (2x20. After race one, grid will be reset to reflect qualifying positions for race 2)
    ~ Race Pit Speed 37mph/60kph (pitstop not required)
    ~ Do not use off-course areas to gain an advantage.
    Race Day and Time: Tuesday, March 13th,
    Server Name: MNRL CMSRACING.COM
    Qualifying at 8PM CDT/9PM EDT (15 minutes)
    Warmup, 5 minutes,

Race Start: ( MNRL TWO WIDE MANUAL FORMATION LAP START, SEE BELOW FOR START PROCEDURE )

FORMATION LAP START PROCEDURE
    --------------------
    TWO WIDE MANUAL FORMATION LAP START!
    When lights turn green, proceed double file at a pace set by the pole man.
    UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED, POLE MAN IS TO PACE THE
    FIELD AT 50 MPH (80KPH) UNTIL THE CHAT "GREEN FLAG GREEN FLAG" IS DISPLAYED.

~PLEASE MAINTAIN A 2 TO 3 CAR LENGTH GAP TO THE CAR IN FRONT OF YOU.
    ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE FORMATION LAP BEFORE WE GET TO THE GREEN STARTING ZONE.

~BRAKE WARMING IS ALLOWED BUT PLEASE DO SO WHILE MAINTAINING YOUR GAP AS TO NOT CAUSE STACK BRAKING OF THE CARS BEHIND YOU.

~PENALTIES MAY BE ASSESSED FOR LACK OF GAP MAINTENANCE.

~IF YOU SPIN OFF THE TRACK DURING THE FORMATION LAP PLEASE MOVE TO THE END OF THE LONGEST LINE.

~IN THE CASE THAT A DRIVER IN FRONT OF YOU IN YOUR LINE DOESN'T MAKE THE GRID OR SPINS OFF DURING THE FORMATION LAP YOU ARE TO MOVE FORWARD AND FILL THE GAP. YOU WILL NOT BE PENALIZED FOR PASSING.

~NO TIRE WARMING.
    When you see "GREEN FLAG GREEN FLAG" in your AutoChat, the race begins for all.
    (Entire field does not have to be in the start area for race to start)

ORANGE ZONE ends at exit of Bosch Kurve.

This race will not be scored but all CMS rules and regulations should be followed per usual.
    Last edited by Joe Miller; 03-15-2018 at 03:56 PM.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

I never really knew Norm. I remember his chapter, this very MNRL, at Race2Play, and I remember talking to him when I did 2 races for his series, with the old Formula 2 for rF1. He was very kind and informative.
    We also had a good discussion on the foruns back then, when MNRL switched over to Game Stock Car Extreme, I was interested, but the schedule never really matched. But I was all the time watching that Chapter and the opportunity to race with them.
    Historic content aways was my favourite thing, and congrats to everyone carrying on his legacy here at CMS.

About the choice for the event, this car is brilliant. It is probably number 1 on my AMS preference. Both Opalas in fact...1986 and the old and slow 1980!
    This 86 in particular may not feel like a fast car, but he is in fact quite a bit faster than the Porsches we are using on our series.
    A truly historic jewel of racing.

If we could one day do a Multiclass series, a historic one, using those Opalas and the historic touring cars, that would be totally awesome.

Marc Cohn is offline Senior Member

I'm in, American Sim Racing Series can wait another week (plus it gives me a good excuse to make my debut the following week at my favorite short track, Martinsville).

Angelo, Norm was a fantastic admin and someone I'd consider a friend. He did so much for so many people and I have no doubt in my mind that if he (as well as Joe and many others) didn't help me get back in the swing of things when MNRL moved to CMS, I wouldn't have ended up having the confidence to race here regularly nor finally become a decent road racer.

aaron page is offline Established Member

I'm in -- just took a couple of laps at this track/mod combo, and it's going to be a fun race, for sure! What a shame we can't insert Norm's 48 as the pace car...we're still thinking of ya, bud!
    Jason Whited likes this.

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

I missed all this until just a short time ago. I'm still unable to drive, and hunting for the hidden spares (which weren't where they should have been). IF things should suddenly fall into line in the next day or two, I might even make this race...but I haven't won the lottery either, so.... Meh!

[EDIT: Unrelated elements removed]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 03-11-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    Jason Whited likes this.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Snow View Post
    I missed all this until just a short time ago. I'm still unable to drive, and hunting for the hidden spares (which weren't where they should have been). IF things should suddenly fall into line in the next day or two, I might even make this race...but I haven't won the lottery either, so.... Meh!

[EDIT: Unrelated elements removed]
    Is Snow coming to AMS?? (sorry, Im silly...lol).

About time, Chris. Join us.

Scott Beck is offline Rothmans Racing

Am I losing it or are the details for this race posted somewhere else?
    Jason Whited and faspit like this.
    Scott Beck
    Rothmans Racing
    MNRL
    NARS
    GBR

aaron page is offline Established Member

I am assuming same time, same day of the week, same length of race, same parameters. Hopefully not the same finish...
    Scott Beck and Jason Whited like this.

Jason Whited is online now Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    I am assuming same time, same day of the week, same length of race, same parameters. Hopefully not the same finish...
    Yes, sorry.
    Edited the post here with some details.
    Scott Beck likes this.

faspit is offline Frank Speer

I'm in too, going to have to run duplicate cars with this mod I think. Nice add on to the original thread too Jason, its helpful. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast