Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Opala '86, Curitiba (Round 6) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Guys, please keep in mind that championship results are not yet official.
    The race review is not yet complete and there may be time penalties to assess that may change the standings.

Nothing is official until admin creates the championship trophies thread announcing the series winners.

Thanks.
    HeatCAN and Marc Cohn like this.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Good show up front Eduardo! You looked very comfortable wheeling the Opala around Curitiba at record speeds. In fact, grats to all for stepping up the speeds from early practice. Well done guys.

WOW.. one point difference in the standings (at least in theory). Well I won't do any victory bows, even if the post race review outcome stays the same. It's so close you could flip a coin or blame the difference on a badly timed bug splat right in front of the driver (you know the kind that happens just after you leave the car wash). I rarely was fastest, just fairly fast and pretty consistent from day one. I think the closeness throughout the field and decent attendance shows the series itself was a real winner. Just goes to show tin tops with moderate power and setup options can be a lot of racing fun!

Thanks to Jason and Joe for putting this series together and keeping it going! Good job guys. An interesting format with a few learning bits that may help future series. And thanks to all that participated too. I truly hope that the drivers that joined us in MNRL for the first time with this series will come back. Same for others that returned, even if briefly. I hope you all had fun! I think the series was more fun thanks to the bigger fields and your racing passion.

Off to Monza to see if we can get the F175 to draft well at speed
    Marc Cohn and faspit like this.

Joe Miller is offline Senior Member

Series result have been edited for time penalties issued by the Race Review Committee.

Previous Penalties
    - M. Bastos Stern Warning
    - L. Almeida NQ
    - T Boynton NQ
    - N. Picciotto NQ

Penalties Served This Event
    None. Both T. Boynton and N. Picciotto failed to serve their penalties.
    - T. Boynton, Warning for failing to serve NQ, it will be served as time penalty.
    - N. Picciotto, Warning for failing to serve NQ, it will be served as time penalty

RACE 1

Formation Lap
    - A. dos Santos, slowed to 41 Kph @T8 exit causing accordion effect among 14 cars and pile up behind. Stern Warning

Start
    No issues

OZ
    - M. Cohn, cut track @T1 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - G. Lalonde, cut track @T1 apex, passed M. Themes and gained advantage over M. Bastos. NQ for track limits and gaining advantage over opponents.
    - E Bomfin, cut track @T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.

RACE 2

Formation Lap
    - R. Peterson, jumped in front of M. Bastos and completed the lap in that position, Caution for positional awareness.

Start
    No issues

OZ
    - J. Whited cut T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - B. Brooks, going into T1 side-by-side with Cohn, did not leave enough room for the other car on inside. Same situation repeated again at T3 apex forcing Cohn to cut both apexes.
    Brette also made light contact with J. Whited from behind at T3. NQ for avoidable contact and positional awareness in OZ.
    - R. Peterson, cut track @T1 apex and passed M. Bastos. NQ for track limits and gaining advantage.
    - M. Themes moved over and made light contact with M. Bastos on Recta Oposta straight (4:17). Stern Warning for avoidable contact.
    - P. Holm, moved over towards F. Speer and made light contact on front straightaway after start. Stern Warning for avoidable contact.
    - M. Themes, cut T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - F. Speer, cut T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - G. Lalonde, went off @T4, safe reentry. Caution for car control in OZ.

Penalties Summary
    - A. dos Santos Stern Warning
    - M. Themes Stern Warning
    - P. Holm Stern Warning
    - G. Lalonde NQ
    - R. Peterson NQ
    - B. Brooks NQ
    - T. Boynton NQ
    - N. Picciotto NQ

Jon Uyan is offline Senior Community Leader

Hi guys, few things I would like to announce about race review results:

1- Above post (Race Review) that Joe posted is actually not the 'Final' version. Looks like he grabbed it from one of the initial posts. The Review Final is slightly different (last section of it). I'm posting the last section here:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OZ
    - J. Whited cut T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - B. Brooks, going into T1 side-by-side with Cohn, did not leave enough room for the other car on inside. Same situation repeated again at T3 apex.
    Brette also made light contact with J. Whited from behind at T3. NQ for avoidable contact and positional awareness in OZ (which led to unfair advantage).
    - R. Peterson, cut track @T1 apex and passed M. Bastos. NQ for track limits and gaining advantage.
    - M. Themes moved over and made light contact with M. Bastos on Recta Oposta straight (4:17). Stern Warning for avoidable contact.
    - P. Holm, moved over towards F. Speer and made light contact on front straightaway after start. Stern Warning for avoidable contact.
    - M. Themes, cut T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - F. Speer, cut T2 apex, no advantage gained. Caution for track limits.
    - G. Lalonde, went off @T4, safe reentry. Caution for car control in OZ.

**Chief Steward's Comments: I think drivers need a reminder that, although you are free to race as usual at race starts, all of your actions will be reviewed
    with a magnifying glass! We are very strict on applying racing rules to provide fair competition at the very incident-prone time of any race which is the start and the first lap.
    This is the purpose of Orange Zone.

Penalties Summary
    - A. dos Santos Stern Warning
    - M. Themes Stern Warning
    - P. Holm Stern Warning
    - G. Lalonde NQ = 30 sec time penalty to be deducted from total race time.
    - R. Peterson NQ = 30 sec time penalty to be deducted from total race time.
    - B. Brooks NQ = 30 sec time penalty to be deducted from total race time.
    - T. Boynton NQ = 30 sec time penalty to be deducted from total race time.
    - N. Picciotto NQ = 30 sec time penalty to be deducted from total race time.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2- The penalty against Brette was a 3-1 decision (NQ vs Warning). But the Review Comte. discussions about his incident(s) continued after Joe has posted it. And one of the stewards had a change of heart, which essentially made the final decision 2-2.
    Normally the decision made is final and there may not be an appeal by a driver or an admin, but this change -albeit late- made by a steward and it is a first at CMS that I can remember. So I'm ok with that. We have a 5th steward who
    could review the race but he has recused himself because he has involved in one of the incidents. When we have a tie like this my second option is to ask the series admin act as the tie breaker, and confirm one of the sides. I already
    know this series admin's decision is a Warning only. This makes the final decision 3-2 for Warning for Brette. Since he did not have any warnings from previous race his 'Summary' will be changed from a NQ to a Warning and there will be no time penalty.

3- Admins please make the changes in final results, and thank you for your input.
    jham, faspit and Gilles Lalonde like this.
    “My goal is to not be bored by what I do”

Itzhak Perlman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12