• 8 Post By AngeloRacer
  • 4 Post By Brette Brooks
  • 7 Post By aaron page
  • 1 Post By AngeloRacer
  • 3 Post By jham
  • 3 Post By Gilles Lalonde

Thread: Opala '86, Cascavel (Round 4) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

Default Opala '86, Cascavel (Round 4) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Last edited by Joe Miller; 06-05-2018 at 09:53 PM.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

To the stewards, just in case. Reporting myself to any penalties I may deserve.

Lap 10 Race 2, I was the sole responsible for the incident with Brette Brooks in the beggining of the lap.
    After watch the replay I saw that I did a bad move and that put him out of the track, and I didnt waited for him.

In the heat of the moment I thought I had a legit move with possible room, but I was wrong.

To Brette, my apologies.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloRacer View Post
    To the stewards, just in case. Reporting myself to any penalties I may deserve.

Lap 10 Race 2, I was the sole responsible for the incident with Brette Brooks in the beggining of the lap.
    After watch the replay I saw that I did a bad move and that put him out of the track, and I didnt waited for him.

In the heat of the moment I thought I had a legit move with possible room, but I was wrong.

To Brette, my apologies.
    Welcome back Angelo. And thanks for the apology for our contact in Race 2. Feeling much better and on the mend... I gather? That's good! Sure looking racy last night at Cascavel. Hopefully you are up to continuing in both MNRL series. We could use the participation and enthusiasm in both series. Maybe others that have stepped away can follow.

I personally like the Cascavel track better than any we have run in this series so far. It packs good variety into a reasonable length for these types of cars. I especially like the downhill left hand sweeper. If you could get your car to handle with a moderate balance on and off the throttle, it was a joy to get an early set and accelerate thru to the end. OTOH, the left hander with an immediate need to swing it around to the right at the end, was a bit a tricky and caught more than one of us out. I spun there in the first race and therefore was a bit more careful on entry during the second.

Hope all had fun. These cars sure can be a surprising equalizer.

See you next week on the high speed Hockenheim track where wings and drafting can come into play. If anyone wants to practice drafting there, let me know in the pre-race. I have a feeling I will need some practice at that with so much high speed stretches available.

Ryan Soucy is offline Junior Member

Bummer I missed a good track/car combo, but I had fun anyways. Screenie from my race:20180606203520_1.jpg

aaron page is online now Established Member

Wow, those were some tight races, judging from the final results! Congrats to Angelo and Eduardo on your wins.
    Me, not so much in race one. Even with ample warning, I entered a (blind) yellow too hot, and as a result blew away my car's front end. I barely got it back to the pits, and fortunately it was fixable, so I finished the race on my own lap.
    2nd race, much more fun. Got a decent start but, trying too hard in the first ten laps, I finally lost control approaching T3, and as a result made it nearly to the top of the green mountain (not much to see there, btw). Coasted back down and, having lost a number of positions, decided that I had nothing to lose if I tried to lay down a series of qualifying laps. And did so (much to my surprise) and after being gifted a couple of spots I saw Jerry way up ahead. "BATTLE!" I thought, and I did everything I could to catch up with him. Finally did that, with 3-4 laps to go, and now it was time to get by a guy that just seems to be unsusceptible to a bluff. I filled his mirrors, feinted left and right, and no results. I was faster in the first sector, he was faster in the second, and it took the third sector for me to get back up to him. On the last part of the last lap I knew my only hope was to back off, and get a run at him out of the final turn, and assume Tony (a lap down) would back off exiting the turn (which he did --thanks, bud!). Got by Jerry at the last opportunity, flashing my lights and sweating profusely. Jerry, that was some fun racing! We get to do it again in a couple of weeks, so be rested!
    Last edited by aaron page; 06-06-2018 at 07:47 PM.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    Feeling much better and on the mend... I gather? That's good! Sure looking racy last night at Cascavel. Hopefully you are up to continuing in both MNRL series. We could use the participation and enthusiasm in both series. Maybe others that have stepped away can follow.
    Thanks Brette.
    To give an update to the MNRL fellows, on my health.
    Unfortunately, the surgery didnt solved the problem as was expected. Im fighting a throat problem (eat and drink are troublesome activities for me atm, something that used to be so automatic...), and although Im better, still quite a road to be 100%. Pain is a close friend of mine those last few months. Im not working for instance, and the recomendation is to keep resting. Of which Im tired of...
    I have to undergo further examinations to investigate why Im not improving as expected.

I would love to come back full time, but right now still not possible. I have to select very carefully what I will race, and if will not hurt me very badly!
    Yesterday about an hour after the race I admit I felt a bit sored...but was ok.

I will be present everytime is possible, you all can be sure of that.

As for the race yesterday, was great feel the rush again. Specially Race 1 coming from 7th with just one qualy lap, with a rocket start and some fierce fights on track, to win was quite something! Felt at home straight away during the race.
    Race 2 was great fun aswell with all the action, even to control my car on the grass after the clash with Brette was fun, because I thought I was going to fly pass grass and track to crash somewhere!
    In the end 2 strong results, was a good night for me.

Cheers, and ītil next time.
    Last edited by AngeloRacer; 06-06-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    faspit likes this.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    And did so (much to my surprise) and after being gifted a couple of spots I saw Jerry way up ahead. "BATTLE!" I thought, and I did everything I could to catch up with him. Finally did that, with 3-4 laps to go, and now it was time to get by a guy that just seems to be unsusceptible to a bluff. I filled his mirrors, feinted left and right, and no results. I was faster in the first sector, he was faster in the second, and it took the third sector for me to get back up to him. On the last part of the last lap I knew my only hope was to back off, and get a run at him out of the final turn, and assume Tony (a lap down) would back off exiting the turn (which he did --thanks, bud!). Got by Jerry at the last opportunity, flashing my lights and sweating profusely. Jerry, that was some fun racing! We get to do it again in a couple of weeks, so be rested!
    Aaron,
    That made my night. What fun! I knew you were going to go for it on the last turn of the last lap. I set up to come off the corner as hard as possible, saw Tony ahead, wasn't sure where he was going and had to make a slight lift and go a little wider than I wanted. Was hoping you had to hesitate. Then saw you blowing past of my left. Nice move.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Congrats to Angelo and Edouardo,

Got a good qualy time in 2nd, first race start was so so, lined up behind Edouardo but he made a little mistake on the second lap entering corner 6 and I took the lead. Let's call 6-7 the two tight lefthander and 8 the last corner.
    I did two laps in the lead but over drove myself going into the first corner on the fifth lap. I rejoined in 8th but trying to hard, I went around a second time in the last corner of that same lap... Frank and Bruno went by... 10th!
    I collected myself from then on and tried my best to get back into a better point scoring position before the checkered.
    Going into corner 1, Bruno went by Frank and I followed him out of corner 2, Frank not forcing the issue I went by him going into 3. Into the long righthander, corner 4, I tried to force Bruno to stay wide but he did not as it still was his corner, we barely touched so I left him get back in front.
    Into Lap 7, I past Bruno going into 1 but barely made it stick, prudent Bruno waited to see what was going to happen... I held it together and punched out. Back in 8th. Next lap, through corner 1... dust and dirt everywhere, Joe did the same thing as when I lost the lead, he went around going down corner 1. What a incentive, I'm not half a lap behind anymore, just one corner. All of this and we're just on lap 8th!
    Lap 10, Joe goes broadside coming out of corner 2... 7th. Just then, Brette loses it in 3, goes up the mountain an comes back. Looking at what was happening, I lose it another time and kind of park it broadside in the middle of 4. Brett on the left, me in the middle, Joe had nowhere to go and glanced my front end. it gave me a RF yellow corner but my car drove perfectly. Joe had to go in to repair a crooked steering. 7th but Edouardo crashed and retired, 6th! On the next lap, 13, Marcelo spun going into 1 and I got my 5th place. From then on I chased Brette but he had spun only once to my three times, his tires were surely in better shape so I had nothing for him.

That was eventful!

For the second race, I had a better start, just enough to stay with Edouardo and get the lead out of 2. It was obvious he had more pace than I did, he was coming out of the last corner a bit faster than me, a few laps later he did pass going into 1. I stayed in second for the remainder of the race. Two laps form the end, I almost lost it going in to corner 1, I went straight for that dark stuff on the outside and rejoined just in front of Angelo but I was still fast enough to keep the second place.

Those are great races, thanks to all of you.

First race view from Joe's
    GRAB_003.jpg