Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: missing player file

aaron page is offline Established Member

I'm a bit rusty on finding files, but it used to be that you could do a search for *.plr (or was it *.*plr) and no matter where it was on your drive, it would be located. I haven't tried that since the XP days, but you might give it a whirl.
    ap

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

Tom, it's not difficult to find where's the location of a file.

I don't know which version of Windows you're using but it's mostly all the same: On your keyboard, bottom-left, between the CTRL (control) key and the ALT key, there's a key with a Windows logo on it... the "Windows key".

It does many thing. For now, press the Windows key, hold it down and press on the letter "R" key (Window+R).

That will open the Run bar. In there type " %appdata% ". (Percent signAPPDATApercent sign)

Windows Explorer will open on: C:\Users\{YourWindowsUserName]\AppData\Roaming

From there, navigate to C:\Users\[YourWindowsUserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\rFactor\UserData\[PlayerName]\[PlayerName].plr

It opens in AppData\Roaming, you have to go one folder up then down Local, then VirtualStore and so on.

It's there, trust me...
    jham likes this.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Gilles,
    I did this but my VirtualStore folder only has a "Windows" folder and an "acc_speed" file. I have "show hidden files, etc" checked in my view folder options. I then did a search from the Start button for VirtualStore and it says it should be located in the Local folder; clicking on it brings me to the same folder that still doesn't show a Program Files folder. My game is on a different hard drive then my Win7.

Is the folder hiding for some reason? Thanks.

Never mind. You were saying if it's not in the game folder then this is where it must be for the game to work. Thanks for the education.
    Last edited by jham; 12-14-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

faspit is offline Frank Speer

If memory serves me when I came back to rFactor1 I had the same issue, could not find my controller.ini file or my player file. So being old school I just went to where it should be, make directory and called it my name. That directory was placed under "UserData\Frank Speer" then I left that screen, ran rFactor, opened up the last track and mod and ran 1 lap. exited and went to the userdata file, my name and it was filled with what everyone else has. My *.plr file, my controller.ini file and my Settings folder too. No answer other than like you are saying it is a "Lite" version thing. Now I am not 100% sure but I seem to think thats the way it started to show up for me.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

"...........From there, navigate to C:\Users\[YourWindowsUserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\rFactor\UserData\[PlayerName]\[PlayerName].plr ....."

That did it, Gilles, thank you! Now, can I copy/past that back to 'where it belongs' without mucking things up?
    jham likes this.

Tom
    Tom is offline Tom Nasella

Just an FYI......Gilles directions worked to a "T." On a lark I copied/pasted it where it belongs but it would not let me edit it there. I was able to edit it in Gilles 'hidey hole' so now I can say Hi, bye, sorry for running into you......
    jham likes this.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

That's a though one to explain in a few lines!

It's a question of Ownership and of Permissions.

There is a little mod that you can do to fix things like this.

I think, not sure here, when rFactor is installed by a normal user, it installs all over the place because it's actually installed by a specific Windows account: TrustedInstaller.
    When running with an Administrator user, it installs normally.
    For a normal user, the installer should be "Run As" an administrator. Right clicking the installer and choosing Run As, then typing in the Admin password, it should install normally. I think...

To enable you to edit the file, if you were an admin, this would not happen but it's more secure to run as a normal user. It's just bothersome when installing anything. To edit the file, you need to Take Ownership of it.
    I still don't know which version of windows you got but the following link should help you.

These 3 forums are highly reliable:
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...-shortcut.html
    https://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...ndows-8-a.html
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

When the Take Ownership is installed, right clicking on the stubborn file and choosing "Take Ownership" sets all permissions to the current user. That he maybe a normal user or an admin does not matter anymore. Editing will then be possible.
    Also, in Windows Explorer, in the Details view with the column headers at the top: Name, Type, Size, Date, etc. right clicking on one of the header shows available columns. One is Owner. Very helpful when taking a fit with Windoz.

HF
    jham likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123