Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Mid Ohio (Formula A) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Jason Whited is offline Senior Community Leader

I have posted the penalty thread here.

The updated race results (unchanged, save a time deduction that did not change results) can be seen here.
    Jon Uyan likes this.

aaron page is offline Established Member

btw, folks, I wasn't trying to start anything concerning the rF1 use ending or not ending, but rather was trying to determine whether I could safely move that folder to my backup drive, freeing a ton of space on my small SSD. I totally agree that there is much content using rF1 that is proven, and fun, which includes multiclass mods that I don't know if AMS has (probably not). My only problems with running both are remembering which series is being run on which week, and trying to remember which hotkeys do what, as I set them up differently on the two sims. So running both sims might actually help me retain memory cells out of necessity and....um.....what was I talking about...?

Quote Originally Posted by aaron page View Post
    btw, folks, I wasn't trying to start anything concerning the rF1 use ending or not ending, but rather was trying to determine whether I could safely move that folder to my backup drive, freeing a ton of space on my small SSD. I totally agree that there is much content using rF1 that is proven, and fun, which includes multiclass mods that I don't know if AMS has (probably not). My only problems with running both are remembering which series is being run on which week, and trying to remember which hotkeys do what, as I set them up differently on the two sims. So running both sims might actually help me retain memory cells out of necessity and....um.....what was I talking about...?
    Instigator!

Only joking.
    It's a good conversation to have, no harm in it. Gilles and I interact this way all the time, we're not arguing, just two stubborn types that like to have the last word. hehe

Anyways, I wouldn't move rF to a place not readily accessible just yet. We will be using it and it is more likely than not that we do plenty more series in it as well.

Though, I have to wonder....is it really necessary (or for that matter, that much faster/better/etc) to have something like rF on an SSD?
    It should load quickly enough just fine on a standard HDD, I would imagine.
    Save the SSD space for other things. Though, I do understand that once we are used to things loading in an instant it can be quite annoying to wait it out for 30 seconds like the olden days

I also have some variation in the way I set up various sims. Recently, I've been trying to make them all very similar so I can jump from one to another without much need to adapt. That's worked out quite well, and though I have a few more things to do to make them all the same, it's really handy to try to establish them in a similar way.
    aaron page and Gilles Lalonde like this.

Gilles Lalonde is offline Senior Member

All my games, including Steam, are on a fourth drive, a normal HDD, (WD Black 1T). I haven't move the AMS tracks yet but all my rFactor tracks are on an SSD... they all load in a jiff!

One of the reason I want to stick with rF is because my AMS is not half setup yet. I got the FFB down and a few other things but not much. right now, I'm trying to get the data acquisition to run. The plugin that generate the Motec files that I use for rF, Lazza, does not work with AMS. For AMS, the download archive has 37 files in 14 folders... not tonight!

...ME? Confrontational? Naaaaaaaaaah...
    Last edited by Gilles Lalonde; 03-24-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    I own crappy boxes... well you know what? 20gigs on a Asus P7P55 LX with an i7-860 running an Asus 560GTX (1gig) on an new AOC Q2963 screen... I'm doing way better! But I still endlessly mod rFactor...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles Lalonde View Post
    One of the reason I want to stick with rF is because my AMS is not half setup yet. I got the FFB down and a few other things but not much. right now, I'm trying to get the data acquisition to run. The plugin that generate the Motec files that I use for rF, Lazza, does not work with AMS. For AMS, the download archive has 37 files in 14 folders... not tonight!

So you're too lazy to set the sim up properly and the rest of us should accommodate you because of it?
    And that's how we got to this "oh, the sky is falling, we are bailing on rF" conversation in the first place.
    ...umkay then. LOL

Why bother with data acquisition anything until you have the sim in proper running order?
    Of what use is a Motec file if the data is possible tainted by the fact you admit you don't have things set up correctly?

Me...just picking at you to be picking now? Naaaaahhh, I wouldn't do that!

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whited View Post
    So you're too lazy to set the sim up properly and the rest of us should accommodate you because of it?
    And that's how we got to this "oh, the sky is falling, we are bailing on rF" conversation in the first place.
    ...umkay then. LOL

Why bother with data acquisition anything until you have the sim in proper running order?
    Of what use is a Motec file if the data is possible tainted by the fact you admit you don't have things set up correctly?

Me...just picking at you to be picking now? Naaaaahhh, I wouldn't do that!
    This needs more salt...
    Marc Cohn and faspit like this.

Never too late to congratulate the winners on their efforts. Well done to Joe and Scott for class wins and championships alike!

My race was sort of lonely, like Scott said about his. Had a decent start, despite Gilles complaining. Took it pretty safe through the first few tight turns in the OZ. But whoa did it get hairy into T6. Brakes seemed a little sluggish for all that speed and had a late lock up - sliding wide onto China Beach. All the field went by while I was trying to recover in the sand. Even Jerry got out of the sand sooner after tapping me on his way through. That is a lot to make up. But as it turned out, not that impossible with all the problems others were having. Had a close run with Peter for a few laps and he paced himself carefully enough I just got by. Was looking forward to a battle with Dennis. But he spun ahead and disappeared into the pits before I got there. The road ahead was clear and lonely for the most part. Too far behind and careful at this point to bother trying to catch Jason or Joe. Just paced myself careful and hung in there to the checkers.

Great battle between Joe and Jason. Unlike those with an early exit, I saw it in my HUD (positions changing in a growing gap). Grats to all that were able to hold on until the finish. These cars do require some finesse. But they can be rewarding once you get a hold of them.

So who else in their right mind would race F5000s this time year? Well the operative words are "right mind". It turns out some vintage racers on another continent can't wait to race some real F5000s in decent weather. That's right, they are having late winter weather similar to us in North America. But that never stopped real enthusiasts from racing in the snow... well almost in the snow... at least the track was clear (see link below for some thundering F5000s in cold wet weather).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWNN1aFOo8

Enjoy! See you guys next time.
    Jason Whited likes this.

[QUOTE=Gilles Lalonde;244190]

Start: I had to lift because Brette was slow off the mark... "That's it, screwed up the start..." but when I reapplied the auto-clutch engaged and it lit up the rear and I followed Brette pretty good. To top it off, Jason had too much wheel spin (dude, never shift in 2nd while the rears are lit up ).
    Corner 1... I'm 2nd!!! Corner 3... I'm facing backward... down hill from there.

I was just trying to stay with Brette, going into 2, he slowed down more than I thought so I had too also. He did it on entry, I did it during the corner and the car did not got enough to the right and I caught way too much curbing on the inside of 3, the car was too unsettled and I went around.
    When I saw the inevitable, I floored it to get out of the way, it work but I bounced off the tire wall a bit. I don't remember if I had damage or not.

I got back in ok. Passed a few cars ok. Coming down the back straight, Tony put two wheel off in the grass on the left going toward corner 6. Continuing with my foot flat on the floor I went "What is he doing?". I had no clue those hay bails are concrete. When he caught the first one and flew across the track, watching the replay... nothing I could have done...WHAM! A fraction of a second later, I'm facing backward again but with no more wheels this time. Holding my wrist (the wheel yanked hard), "Wha... Wha... What just happened here?"
    QUOTE]

Gilles that just was not your night. You couldn't buy a break if you wanted to. Total victim in the second incident.

BUT, as far as the start went I thought I had a decent start. At least for F5000 cars. I've never had great starts. But most of them were respectable enough to gain a spot or three in relative terms. Just remember that although we got some gains off the line, you can't win the race in the first few turns.

BTW, good spin recovery on the gas!

Incidentally, I've never seen hay bales that moved and absorbed energy in a race sim. Even if they did, the end result may have been similar when Tony hit that bale at 150+ mph. Just the laws of physics. Like cars wrapping around trees. Those things are stationary. Might as well be the face of Half Dome.
    Tony Boynton and Jason Whited like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brette Brooks View Post
    Incidentally, I've never seen hay bales that moved and absorbed energy in a race sim. Even if they did, the end result may have been similar when Tony hit that bale at 150+ mph. Just the laws of physics. Like cars wrapping around trees. Those things are stationary. Might as well be the face of Half Dome.
    IIRC, the hay bales in AC (at least at the old Spa) have mass and will move. They won't bust apart, with hay flying as they would if struck by a racing car (which would be really cool), but they're not planted (or secretly concrete..lol)
    I pushed some of them out onto the track for fun (and to watch the AI try to navigate them) one night at Eau Rouge. The AI is fairly dumb, so they just slammed into them or stopped in the middle of the track.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123