Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Buenos Aires ('75 F1) Post Race Data, Standings, and Discussion

Christopher Snow is offline Senior Community Leader

On Teamspeak, after the race I was trying to recommend a book (GREAT read, this one). I had some mic-button issues, so it didn't come through.[/I]

The book is: A.J. Baime "Go Like Hell" I've read this book several times now, but each time I do it's almost as if it's again for the first time.

The book tells the story of the Ford vs Ferrari battle to win Le Mans in the 60's. That said, there is a LOT more to it, thus making it a great read.

Baime was a writer for Playboy at one point. That wouldn't normally be a recommendation for me, but there is no doubt he's a real talent.

He tells this story in a way that expands the CONTEXT about as far as anyone could. He has the talent, as shown with this book, to bring the opposing ideas and ideals into context...to show how, when and why each was pitted against the others...in such a way as to "round it all out." He shows you not only the details, but the boundaries of the story. And the era. The time you were living in...too.

Brilliant prose for that reason alone, and I would highly recommend anyone interested in "racing in the sixties" read his book

===

Congrats, Joe! You earned it, and rocked it both!
    Last edited by Christopher Snow; 05-02-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Marc Cohn and aaron page like this.

It's a good point. I suspect my own gas pedal allow me to easily to abuse it. I know my own pedal work--despite how much I harp on it--just doesn't measure up.

Not to sound like your drill sergeant (thought he's proabably right)but it's all about Discipline.

oldnslo is offline Bob Roberson

I read it. Great book. Loaded with insider information. BTW, I got the book from CMS on a drawing they had.

jham is offline Jerry Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    I finally tried to get off the track and get back to racing. He and I ended up occupying the same space and that don't work. If my teamspeak had been working I could have been hollering for you guys to look out for me. I've really got to figure that out.
    The Track Map is also very useful in this situation. You can tell how far cars are behind and move when there is an opening.
    Marc Cohn likes this.
    blue skies, jerry

------------------
    Pass carefully - Driver chews tobacco

I panicked ............just knew I was gonna wipe out the whole damned field. Cars were whizzing by like crazy and I couldn't find first gear. I'm thinking I ought to devote my racing to offline. Can't hurt my friends' chance of winning a race. I'm glad Angelo was so gracious.
    Christopher Snow likes this.

I panicked ............just knew I was gonna wipe out the whole damned field. Cars were whizzing by like crazy and I couldn't find first gear. I'm thinking I ought to devote my racing to offline. Can't hurt my friends' chance of winning a race. I'm glad Angelo was so gracious.
    The one old school "crisis control" item I remember best is: "When in doubt, both feet out." Those two feet being on the clutch and the brake...and NOT on the brake (LF) and the throttle (RF). I mangled it pretty badly when I stomped on the WRONG pedals last year after a collision at Road America...and then took out my teammate in the process.

When you do spin and end up back in traffic, I suppose there should be a couple of other "go-to's": If your nose is pointing OUTWARD, and you are in the raceline, with the back end of your car somewhere around the inside curb, scramble all the way back through the gears and BACK (R gear) off the track. My reasoning here is this: If another driver has come upon you blocking half the track like this...and if he's going slow enough that he CAN take the outside line around the nose of your car, it's a real crime to rob him of that opportunity. So BACK off the track in reverse, rather than shoot forward (because then you take away the whole track).

If you have spun in such a way that you think there is (or might be) a clear lane behind your stopped car, then select first gear and move forward, NOT backward. Take the time and be deliberate and as careful as you can about it too (I can't help but note--or am I missing something?--that AMS has no option to show which gear you are in at any given moment. Or maybe it's just this mod...or does it?).

Failing any of that, it might be best just to sit still...and let the field work it's way around you. Until you can think it through carefully and sort out what to do.

====

All that said, I have not seen the incident on replay, but only the one screenshot of the collision, so please understand I'm not pointing fingers at anyone--it could just as easily have been me who spun or crashed (and, in fact, I did so myself early on, but was fortunate my accident didn't collect anyone else).
    Marc Cohn likes this.

Nope. Don't quit. Hang in there and keep motoring on.
    Marc Cohn likes this.

AngeloRacer is offline Angelo dos Santos

You´re not going offline only Bob. You´re racing online with us ok? Thanks.
    Attrition is part of this business. Relax, move on and keep going!

I appreciate the kind words about me not racing offline. I'm sorry, but I will probably be a "rolling chicane" for many more races. What I meant and should have said instead of "I ought to devote my time to offline racing" was "I was thinking while sitting there messing my pants, I should probably be racing offline". Only at that particular moment. It's been a huge learning curve for me in CMS/MNRL. This league is such a change from some of the other leagues I've been in. And most of all these mods are so much more difficult to drive. I used to half assed contend but now I consider it a great race if I can just outrun one driver. In the future I'll try to be more careful and to stay out of the way. Just appreciate your tolerance of my inability. Just consider me a challenge like a big pot hole.

RhodieRuss is offline Junior Member

Hi guy's, Yes, this was my first sim race in ages. My goal was just to stay out of the way and get to the chequered flag, which was quite an accomplishment as I barely put two or three complete laps together while practicing beforehand. I went off 5 or 6 times but didn't hit anything so didn't hurt the car. so I'm very happy to get to the finish, even if I was lapped 3 times by Joe!!! Congrats Joe.
    I find driving the cars in sim's hard due to the lack of 'feel' so I will probably be a moving chicane for a long time, but it's still fun. I need to figure out my force feedback settings on my wheel (G25). I am using Windows 10 and can't seem to get the Logitech setting's to work, so I need to do that. Maybe I'll speed up once that's all figured out.
    Chris, I have also read "Go like Hell". It's an excellent book. Maybe an idea for the a future MNRL series...GT40's vs P4's vs Lola T70's!
    Pete Holm and aaron page like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast