Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Brainerd (Formula A) Post Race Data and Discussion

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Holm View Post
    Well I think I finally have my internet connection sorted out. New provider, new fiber optic cable to the house, super fast speed no lost connections! Yaa! Unfortunately I had a piece of crap car that lasted only 4 laps and she blew. But no disco. So I was happy.

Brainerd is a very cool track, I had the opportunity to race there several times in the early 80's with a Formula Ford Lola T440, which was a state of the art race car at that time. It took several laps to get comfortable not lifting thru turn 2.
    It was quite an honor on one particular weekend, 1983 SCCA Nationals, to be able to pit a few doors down from PL Newman, Jerry Hansen and several other well known SCCA drivers.

Racing at this track brought back a lot of great memories from that time at the very early stages of my racing career. Dreams of becoming a famous race car driver never materialized, life got in the way, but still enjoying racing at the amateur level, and will continue to do so as long as I can.

Thanks to the Admin crew for putting on these races, although it might be time to retire the old RF1 and completely migrate to Automobilista, the graphics & physics just don't cut it any more. Rf1 had a good run

Pic is me in the middle, turn 2, Brainerd 1983 NationalsAttachment 12700

Cheers
    Very cool Peter! Glad to hear you have got those connection issues behind you. You had some good pace here and I was hoping we could race since our times were similar. The FA car does requires some finesse not to over cook the redline for sure. On the flip side, it has good grunt down low below that redline Hope to see you at the next race.

Brette Brooks is offline Established Member

Decent turnout there for Donnybrooke. Good to see Chris and the Rothmans Michigan contingent giving it a go in historic FAs. Not sure what happened to Dennis or Jeff, but they would have made it 19 if they could have staid there for the race. If Gilles wasn't sick/tired, that would have made it an even 20.

I have to say my engine damage off the start seems to have uncanny repeatability. And that is after raising 1st and second gear quite a bit and practicing my starts offline. I am sure my starts are getting better from a redline violation standpoint. And I feel like I am getter a better launch by just feathering 1st before upshifting it into 2nd. But just like the first two races, when I got a chance to check the damage meter in T2, the engine life was still showing mid to high 30% range. WHAT? How can that be? Joe suggested checking the damage meter before the lights go green next time. I keep forgetting to do that. But if it shows 38% before even pressing the pedal, that would show a race start engine health randomness I haven't seen since using the Power & Glory Mod in GTR2. Maybe I'll just look at the gas next time were on the grid and observe what happens first.

Engine health aside, I didn't have the pace of Chris, Jason, Joe or Elliot. But, I was hoping to mix it up with Peter, Dennis or any one else lacking 1:29s like myself. The first few laps were probably the most interesting. I goofed that esses jog (T7/8?) early on and immediately lost Joe's draft. Luckily the off course excursion did no damage. Peter caught up briefly and I thought that would be interesting, if not for a spin he had. A few laps later Elliot spun back into racing range. And I had some fun trying to keep with him when he caught and passed me. There is so much room to draft at Donnybrooke, that helped for a few laps until I lost his draft. The rest was mostly try and hit my marks and not damage the engine further pushing too hard. It ended up being pretty lonely running in P4 for most of the race. I did have a late spin in the last turn into the path of Scott and Jerry. Jerry got the worst of it with no place to go and losing his nose in my side pod. If that had been real life, I would have got worst of it. Luckily Jerry was able to finish the race. I thought P4 would be a good result for my experience. At least until the last two laps when Jason's crew chief let him down on fuel. Joe and I were gifted a spot in the process.

Congrats to Chris on a very convincing winning drive, to Jason for an impressive challenge to Chris's consistency and to Joe for constantly turning up the wick as needed. Very impressive by all three drivers. And let's not forget Elliot set the fastest lap (as usual). Once he figures out how to tame these high torque moderate rev engines, he will probably set us all back another spot. In the meantime, lets enjoy our more conservative driving success. Also grats to all those heads up drivers through out the field who were having their own battles while making way for the leaders. Well done guys.

As Chris, Jason and Joe have shown, these cars can be driven hard and survive 45 minutes. There-in lies the challenge for the rest of us. Do what it takes to stay within that envelope while getting the most out the car. I think it comes down to a few things. In addition to the wings and gear settings Chris alluded to (hint..hint) probably helping the most, I think most of us could survive 45 mins. if we just control our lift and blip timing and excursions a little better (especially when the engine is unloaded). I know that is counter intuitive when we are racing hard. But obviously it is doable. The engine has so much torque and horse power available at a lower rpm than most smaller displacement engines we use, we don't have to ring it's neck past the redline with every shift to get the most out of it. And although it is a thirsty beast like most small block V8s from that era, it has the power to haul that extra fuel. Tell your crew chiefs not to skimp on fuel like a TA U2L car!

Hope you all had a good time and hope to see you at the next race!

faspit is offline Frank Speer

I had great help from Brette on my wheel settings and wow, made a big difference with rfactor and these monster cars. My practice was fast and comfortable for me, very comfortable even sliding the rear around the last turn to gain momentum for that longgggg straight. Well we Q'ed and I use my race setup for it so my full tanks were slowing me a lot. For the race I got a great start but those in front of me were smoking the place up and I had to back pedal a bit allowing 2 or 3 cars pass. Got to turn 1 and missed the brake marker and ran over poor Dave, sorry Dave, glad to see he still stood on the box at the end. The impact messed up my front suspension that the crew could not sort out so trying all I could I was never going to be competitive and just a rolling chicane and that is not my way, felt bad about the hit on Dave so my heart in the rest of the race was over. So I bailed.
    Since I now run rFactor1 thru Steam my FPS is at 60-62 all the time, seeing warping of others a lot like with AMS on the starts as well. I also cannot get XD to work any more and GID messes with my video too much for my liking. I have confiscated my Wife's old Kindel Fire so was going to use that to show the Motec information.
    Brette Brooks likes this.

DaveS is offline Dave Slee

I finally remembered that the race starts earlier than the rest of CMS races and I was actually on time for this one. I couldn't find a setup that would work at all so I jumped in Christopher's car with him and watched him for a few laps to see if I could figure out were I was loosing all my times. Well after that I added more front/rear wing and changed a few other things and was able to get 6th place in qualifying (to my total amazement). I got away way to slow and a whole pile of cars roared past me and I thing I was back in P10 or so by the first corner. Someone up ahead broke to late for turn 3 and we stacked up a bit and had to take evasive action to avoid contact with other cars around us, once through T3 that car came back on track and was moving over to my side of the track so I was watching his car to make sure we'd miss each other and I wound up running into the back of JerryH (sorry Jerry), luckily it was just a light tap so he didn't spin. After all the dust settled and a few people had spent some time in the grass I was up to P5 with the aliens a good 20 seconds or more up ahead and fading into the sunset and I was by myself for pretty much the rest of the race after that until I noticed Elliott moving up fast on me and he was able to get by for P5 on lap 20 but as I came around T9 on the next lap I could see a whole lot of flames coming out of his car up head, bad luck Elliott you were screaming fast. After Elliott had left I was back up into P5 with no one around so I ran really clean and didn't have any kind of off until the game popped up the "5 minute left in the race" notice, I looked down to see what it was saying and totally missed my braking point and went out into the grass, luckily I didn't hit anything and headed back of track. Then I did the same thing a couple of laps later but was able to get back on track and up to speed and managed to finish the race without blowing my engine.

Congrat's to Christopher, Joe and Brette on their podium finishes.

Cya at Mosport (this otta be a crazy race)
    aaron page and Brette Brooks like this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

Joe Miller is online now Senior Member

I put a link for Race DATA on the top post. Check it out!
    HeatCAN likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12