Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Which wheel?

ZigZag03 is offline Mark Ruggiero

Default Which wheel?

Looking to update the wheel, thinking Fanatec but on the fence about round or gp style wheel, and uninformed about other brands. Can I get a short poll of you guys and gals using higher end wheels please? Shifters on the old Logitech are getting a bit unreliable... Thanks!
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

TwoFlatTires is offline Jimmy Hume

Fanatec makes a great product, I've been using their stuff for five years. If you ever do have any problems though, warranty service is painfully slow.

The comparable brand to me is Thrustmaster. They are the main competitor on the mid level scene, and a few guys I know swear by them. To me, the Thrustmaster products just have the 'toy' look to them, which is purely subjective but holds value in my head...

As far as wheel type, that's all about your comfort level. The Fanatec bases are all quick change, so you can easily swap out rims depending on which car your driving, but I think the 'formula black' rim works in most road applications.

/2 cents

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

I love my Fanatec CSL wheel...from the first moment of trying it out before I even had the setting tweaked, I knew right away I had been driving with no real feel for the car and the road. With the CSL you can get out for a lot less than other high-dollar wheels and the cost aligns with Thrustmaster's best stuff. I bought the Formula Black wheel, and while it seems odd when driving American Truck Simulator, it's perfect for racing.

That said, word is that Fanatec and Thrustmaster will have Direct Drive wheels very soon, although I'm sure they will be in the 1K price range. But for me, moving from a TSW with no FFB, to a G27, and now a CSL, I feel like Superman at times.
    Marc Cohn, mms and TwoFlatTires like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Don Fryman is online now Resident Pawn Broker

Mark the biggest question is how much do you want to spend?? Like the old saying "speed cost money, how fast can you afford to go"
    There are a lot of good choices out there, you just need to decide what price range works for you
    Now that is not to say you will be faster with a more expensive wheel, but there is a total different experience you will get out of the more expensive wheels. If you haven't already read my blog here on my move from an ECCI setup to a OSW FFB direct drive wheel I explain some of the differences and tell why I think it was the best money I ever spent on this hobby.
    We are not that far apart (about 2 hours) you are more than welcome to come by and take my system for a test drive if you would like.

Never let up for a second....or that may be where you finish!

davidan is offline David Anderson

I have a Thrustmaster T300 RS and love it.
    TimCollier and TwoFlatTires like this.

ZigZag03 is offline Mark Ruggiero

Thank you all! David, did you go with 900 degree or 1080? The T300 base is pretty affordable, and wheels are in the $150 range, the 28GT for instance. ECCI I think is just a quick(er) road to divorce, and I love my Fan V3 pedals, so maybe it makes sense to stick with one make. No doubt others will chime in. I suppose I could just fix (in my spare time) the paddle shifters on the G27...

EDIT: here's an eyeopener... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G27...cAAOSwPhdVEFxG
    Last edited by ZigZag03; 07-27-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    TimCollier likes this.
    Mark Ruggiero
    DiamondDog/Red Dwarf Racing

wheeler is offline Steen Nielsen

I have a Thrusmaster T500 with the Ferrari F1 rim. I have loved it since day 1!!! Bought the full package including pedals.
    TimCollier likes this.
    Steen Nielsen (aka. wheeler)

Tom Walkinshaw: "When black goes to green, you are in troubles..."

Z_Stig is offline Jason Lundy

Fanatec user here as well for the last 3 years or so. After pedals, it's been my favorite purchase and been reliable as well - zero issues.

I use the BMW rim and have been happy with it. A smaller wheel might transmit even more feedback, but I haven't felt like purchasing one yet.
    Jason Lundy
    iRacing co-admin
    Never give up, never surrender!

TimCollier is offline Senior Community Leader

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag03 View Post
    EDIT: here's an eyeopener... Logitech G27 Racing Wheel For PS3 & PC
    Damn....wonder if I could sell my G27 set for $500? It's all in great condition!! LOL!
    Last edited by TimCollier; 07-27-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    ZigZag03 and TwoFlatTires like this.
    Tim Collier

It's not how fast you can go, but how long you can go fast!

| CPU: i7-4790k @ 4Ghz | GPU: EVGA 980 Ti Superclocked 6GB | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
    | PSU: Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Wheel: Fanatec CSL Base/Formula Wheel | Pedals: Fanatec V2 Clubsport | Monitor: DELL S2716DG 27" G-Sync Monitor @2560x1440 144Hz

Marc Cohn is offline Established Member

Mark, you have a G27, right? Mine still works great, however, the only reason I switched to my T500RS is because I traded from a Simxperience Accuforce. It's an awesome wheel but it's pretty easy to get the fan running on it, luckily the previous owner actually upgraded the fan for me. I have two options I'd recommend for you.
    1. Get a Thrustmaster TSPC if you are planning on getting a wheel that is PC-only. Upgraded FFB and cooling! I don't believe that it comes with pedals but it seems that you have sufficient ones anyway. The other advantage of Thrustmaster is that you can either buy their rim packages and customize them if you want with different steering wheels or get custom USB ones from the likes of Sam Maxwell or Polsimer.

2. Keep the G27, get a quick release adapter, and spend about $350 on a USB Formula rim from Polsimer or have Sam Maxwell make you the wheel of your dreams at what you can afford. This isn't necessarily a cheap route but iRacing champions swear by the G27, it's a workhorse wheelbase so why not give it a more realistic steering wheel of your choice with buttons and paddles the way YOU want it?
    TimCollier and ZigZag03 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast