Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By DaveS
  • 2 Post By DaveS
  • 2 Post By DaveS
  • 1 Post By Mike Heikes

Thread: How to build a base for your Obutto rig

DaveS is online now Dave Slee

Default How to build a base for your Obutto rig

I needed to bolt my new pedals down so they wouldn't move around and there really wasn't any way to mount them on my Obutto rig that would stop the flexing so I built a 2x6 base to put the cockpit on and then mounted the pedals to the base. This base would work for pretty well any type of rig, just adjust the measurements to fit yours

My base is 64"x 24" with a 3/4" piece of plywood on the top. So your shopping list will be the following:

2 2x6 cut to 64" each
    3 2x6 cut to 21" each
    1 3/4" plywood cut to 24"x64"
    Most places will cut your stuff for free or a couple of bucks

Hardware needed:
    6 1 1/4" rigid straps (found in the plumbing section, these will be used to bolt down the cockpit to the base so it doesn't move around on you
    A box to 2 1/2: wood screws to screw the base together with.
    12 bolts the size of the mounting holes in the rigid straps (sorry I can't remember the size)
    12 T-Nuts the size to fit the bolts you use on the rigid straps.
    4 1/4"x 1 1/2" bolts (for bolting the pedal base to the cockpit base)
    4 1/4" T-Nuts to use with the 1/4"x1 1/2" bolts
    Enough peel and stick carpet to cover the top of the plywood
    Painters tape used to put down on the top of the base to mark were you want to drill the holes for the pedals
    Sharpy felt tip pen to mark were to drill for the pedal base
    Power drill, bits, and a socket set

And if you feel like you're going to want to move this around you can also add locking wheels to each corner of the base.

Use the wood screws to screw the base together using the shorter pieces of 2x6 for both ends and one in the middle of the base. Then screw the plywood to the top, (Don't go cheap on a thinner piece of plywood, make sure to use at least 3/4")

Peel and stick the carpet to the top of the plywood and trim it.

Put your Obutto cockpit on top of the base, adjust until it's were you like it and then bolt it to the base using the rigid straps, the bolts and T-Nuts. I did one strap in each corner and 1 on either side in the middle

Put some strips of painters tape down in the area that you plan to bolt the pedals to

Put the pedals down in the cockpit and test fit them until you find a position you want them in, then use the Sharpy to mark were you want to drill the holes for the pedal base

Drill the pedal base holes, remove the painters tape and mount the pedals base using the 1/4"x1 1/2" bolts and the T-Nuts.

This base has 2 advantages, it mounts your pedals firmly and it makes it easier to get in and out of your rig

Here are a couple of pictures of the base and my new Heusinkveld Pro 3 pedals. I'll get around to painting the base one of these days.

Heusinkveld pedals1.jpg Obutto sitting on base1.jpg
    Last edited by DaveS; 02-20-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    davidan, TimCollier, jham and 2 others like this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)
    #38 iRacing CanAm Racing Team

davidan is online now David Anderson

Good to know Dave. thanks for sharing this.

my personal motorsports blog

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

This is relevant to my interests, but need pics.

Mike Heikes is offline Established Member

I was thinking about doing something along these lines to lift up my Revolution rig making it easier to get in and out of. Also making a place for my computer so the whole thing could be moved adding wheels. I run the CNC machine at my work, we make water tanks for fire trucks and I might check and see how much it will cost to make a base out of co-poly plastic. Making it big enough for the obutto screen mount, computer and amps for my butt-kicker's as well. Being plastic as well as wood like yours I could mount my controller box for my steering wheel and mount the triple screen stand which can be wobbly just standing on the carpet.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    Xbox: xxWtChocolatexx
    PS3: WtChocolate
    iRacing: Michael Heikes
    Steam: wtchocolate

updated post with a couple of pictures
    Troy Dalton and Mike Heikes like this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)

Is that a shifter mount that you have on the right side of the wood or ebrake? Is it better then having it mounted on the side on the obutto?

it's the shifter mount, I didn't like it up so high on the Obutto so I moved it down there. It makes it easier for shifting when using the Tech Affliction Eaton truck shifter with the 18 wheelers, or for sequential or H pattern shifting.
    Troy Dalton and Mike Heikes like this.
    Dave Slee (DaveS)

Troy Dalton is offline KEEP CALM and SIM RACE

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks so much for this Dave. I had a similar idea many years ago, but never followed through with it. Seeing your design makes me want to build one for myself. I'm thinking about adding some sort of moving track for the pedals and either wheels or heavy duty furniture pads. I won't really need to roll it around, but I might need to slide it around.

Also, I have the one of the first generation Obutto rigs and I made this crazy mount on the front of the rig to get the computer off the ground.

I'm thinking of adding a small side pod about right about where your computer is currently sitting.

Thanks again Dave and Lowes thanks you too.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    it's the shifter mount, I didn't like it up so high on the Obutto so I moved it down there. It makes it easier for shifting when using the Tech Affliction Eaton truck shifter with the 18 wheelers, or for sequential or H pattern shifting.
    Whenever I get around to making my base I'm going to have to try that out, maybe even have one mounted to the obutto and one on the side of the base. Kind of a sequential and e-brake combo.
    Troy Dalton likes this.